My Magic+ and My Disney Experience
Update: In 2020, Disney introduced new enhancements to My Disney Experience.
- Guests with Table Service Advance Dining Reservations can now use Mobile Dine Check-In to check in for reservations rather than approaching the check-in host(ess) stand.
- Guests using Mobile Order can now use Disney gift cards via My Disney Experience.
- In January 2021, Disney World will phase out complimentary MagicBands for Resort guests and will add further enhancements to MDE for tasks previously completed with the band.
- In August 2020, Disney added a Walk-Up Waitlist “Now” button to the app for those looking for Table Service dining without an ADR. That function was quickly disabled, but we’ll update if/when it returns.
- In September 2020, Disney added Table Service to Go to the app!
- In November 2020, Disney announced that Park Hopping will return on January 1, 2021. My Disney Experience will post Park availability for Park Hopping at 2PM each day. This time is subject to change. We will update when/if that happens.
Planning and embarking upon a Walt Disney World vacation means keeping a lot of balls in the air, but the advent of My Disney Experience has changed the Disney World game forever.
Here we take you through everything you need to know about this useful vacation tool.
What is MyMagic+?
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts introduced the concept of “MyMagic+” in January 2013, saying that the program “is using technology to make it easier than ever before for guests to make the most of their Walt Disney World visit.” Essentially it’s a collection of technologies Walt Disney World, DisneyWorld.com, and guests use empower almost all aspects of a Walt Disney World vacation.
MyMagic+ Technologies include:
- Planning tools on DisneyWorld.com called My Disney Experience
- A mobile app called My Disney Experience which interfaces with plans made on DisneyWorld.com (or by phone) and provides a one-stop shop for all things Walt Disney World throughout every phase of a guest’s vacation. It enables guests to:
- Get more information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer, from resort hotels and attractions to dining and merchandise.
- Design the overall experience they want, planning as much or as little as they wish.
- Make Advance Dining Reservations and FastPass+ selections in advance and on the fly during a trip.
- Connect with family and friends to coordinate plans and share photos.
- Mobile Order food from select quick service and snack locations.
- Check-in for Table Service reservations using Mobile Dine Check-In.
- Use maps to navigate the World.
- Purchase collectible items from ShopDisney
What is Disney World’s FastPass+ service?
Guests are able to use MyMagic+ technology to select FastPass+ attractions and entertainment experiences through My Disney Experience before they leave home and make changes on the go.
What are MagicBands?
MagicBands are all‐in-one devices that effortlessly connect all the vacation choices guests make online with My Disney Experience. Guests can use their MagicBands to enter their Disney Resort hotel room, buy food and merchandise, attach PhotoPass photos to their accounts, tap in for FastPass+ reservations, and enter Walt Disney World theme parks and water parks by tapping in at the entrance.
The RFID technology inside a MagicBand also allows attractions to interact with guests from long-range, including attaching on-ride PhotoPass captures to guests’ accounts and displaying guests’ names at the end of ‘it’s a small world’.
How do I use My Disney Experience?
Create Your MDE Account
To begin, you must create a “My Disney Experience” (MDE) account. If you have a DisneyWorld.com account already, you’re set to go. MDE is an application that you can access on the Walt Disney World website or via a mobile app that you can download to your smartphone or other mobile device. See Walt Disney World’s official site here for how to create an MDE account.
Once you have created your MDE account you can then create a Family & Friends list, so that you can share vacation plans with those you are traveling with. (This is also helpful if you’re looking to score a Boarding Pass for a super popular ride — you’ll all need to be linked together.) You can also then link your admission tickets to the account, which will allow you to make FastPass+ selections and plan your vacation.
Advance Dining Reservations
Using MDE, you can also make online hotel reservations and Advance Dining Reservations that will be linked to your account.
Keep Track of Your Plans
When you are in the parks, the My Disney Experience mobile app helps you keep track of all of your plans, including your ADRs and FastPass+ selections. Plus, it gives you easy access to information, such as show times, attraction wait times, character greeting locations, and GPS-enabled maps that let you see what is happening near you at that moment.
In August 2017, the My Disney Experience app was updated to include the ability to track your Disney Dining Plan credits, as well as the expenses charged back to your Disney hotel room. You can also now renew your annual pass directly through the app.
Mobile Order Food and Drinks
The MDE app has also been updated to allow you to order food from select counter-service restaurants around the theme parks in a process called Mobile Ordering. Payments for Mobile Order made via My Disney Experience include credit card, debit card, Disney gift card, ApplePay, and other dining cards.
Table Service to Go
In September 2020, Disney added Table Service to Go to the My Disney Experience app. This feature allows guests to order from select Table Service restaurants (starting with Sanaa), select an arrival window, and enjoy Table Service eats without dining in the restaurant at all!
Learn more about Table Service to Go here.
Mobile Dine Check-In
In June 2020, My Disney Experience added Mobile Dine Check-In, a feature designed to allow Table Service diners with Advance Dining Reservations to skip the host(ess) stand and to check-in via My Disney Experience instead.
Update: This feature has been disabled. We’ll update if/when it returns.
For those looking for Table Service dining opportunities without an Advance Dining Reservation, My Disney Experience added a Walk-Up Waitlist feature in August 2020. Learn more here.
Check Bus Wait Times
And as of June 2018, the mobile app has been redesigned to provide you with bus wait times when you are using it during your vacation stay. (You’ll also find digital wait time boards at most bus stops as well.)