Should I Cancel My Disney Trip? Breaking Down Our Most FAQ

The unprecedented closure of Disney parks around the world has left many guests with some big questions about their Disney plans.

Hollywood Studios

The biggest question? Whether or not you should cancel your upcoming Disney trip. It’s a tough one! Obviously, no one wants to forgo on a trip to Disney, but with uncertain days ahead, we know this has been the top question we’ve received here at All Ears. We’re breaking down everything that we know so far below.

So, should you cancel your Disney trip?

These are strange days, so it can be hard to decide to keep or toss your upcoming Disney vacay. Honestly, we’re not really sure what the next few months hold for Disney World but there are some things we do know. Let’s dive in!

Epcot

When You’re Going

The first thing to consider is when you’re going. After all, a lot of people have concerns that the current situation will have a much longer-lasting effect on the Disney parks.

Haunted Mansion

For an example, we can look at the global Disney Parks, with parks such as Shanghai Disneyland just now starting to see a phased reopening after initially shutting down on January 25th.

UK Pavilion

We know many of those with trips in the next three months or so are looking at these numbers and wondering the big question —  is it enough to cancel right now?

What We Know

Currently, Disney World and Disneyland have extended their closure “until further notice.” While we don’t know what the next few months will look like, if you do have an upcoming reservation, we would recommend paying close attention to the latest updates from Disney regarding their closures.

Disney World

In truth, the current situation is uncharted waters for all of us, including The Walt Disney Company. But one thing we do know is that Disney will make the process as magical as possible if your trip is affected.

Pandora

Already, the people who were in or on their way to Disney when the parks closed have received ticket extensions, as well as hotel and experience refunds. It’s all in their hands to rebook their vacation when or if they want, and Cast Members are working hard to answer questions and accommodate everyone. Walt Disney World even released a free dining offer and Disneyland Resort released a hotel room discount for guests whose trips were scheduled during the closure period.

Stormalong Bay

Our point here is that we don’t know if the closures will affect your trip, but we do know that if it does, Disney will take care of you.

Why You Shouldn’t Cancel — Yet

So, our advice if you have an upcoming trip? Maybe don’t cancel just yet. Instead, we recommend closing monitoring the latest updates from Disney World or Disneyland, as they will be informing guests of current plans as soon as the information is available.

The Grand Floridian

On top of that, the Disney phone lines are slammed. As you can imagine, tons of people are trying to get answers right now. To provide flexibility for those that do want to cancel or reschedule, Disney has announced that many cancellations or rebookings can be done online through “My Plans.” Additionally, Disney will be waiving all Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to reservation check-in dates of June 30th.

Epcot

All in all, we don’t have a definitive answer for what you should do if you have a trip coming up soon. Ultimately, it is up to you and your family to decide what is best for you.

Tomorrowland

That being said, the best recommendation we do have is to hold off and listen to official statements from the Walt Disney Company on what to expect, and what’s best to do for upcoming trips.

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge

We’ll be sure to keep an eye out so that we can pass on anything that Disney reports in relation to future trip reservations! For now, consider keeping that trip on the books as something to look forward to.

For all you closure questions answered, click here!

Do you have a Disney trip coming up soon? Tell us in the comments!

Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!

Click below to subscribe

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

29 Replies to “Should I Cancel My Disney Trip? Breaking Down Our Most FAQ”

  1. So much for having an “annual pass”-Now those are COMPLETELY KAPUT!! Could this get ANY WORSE for Disney and its guests?? Even if you DID have an annual pass-which used to allow someone to come at ANY time, now you must have a “reservation”-if not-you are SCREWED!! My wife and I love living only about an hours drive away-but we will be avpoilding the mouse for quite some time!!

  2. Booked to head down July 24, will give it until June 24, my last cancel for full refund date. I have the old ticket price and a hotel discount, so I hate to cancel and miss out if they open for July, but also Don’t want to be stuck with a ticket credit so I can be in the same boat next summer when hysteria takes over again, assuming it ever relents, and lose the money for them either. Even if the parks are open, I won’t go with ridiculous regulations like rushing to the park at 5 am to virtual queue for a ride at 3 pm, nor will I wear a hot mask in the FL heat, nor allow a company to conduct medical procedures on me to prove I am healthy to enter and do god knows what with the data. Basically it’s either business as usual with (hopefully) guests limited to those with existing reservations at a Disney resort to keep numbers down or I am out.

  3. We have reservations for 7/30-8/9. Concerned that if Disney World is up and running, how many rides/attractions will be closed due to social distancing. What about the restaurants? How do you think all of these things will be affected?

  4. We have a trip planned June 15! I’m holding on to hope but I just don’t know at this point. I’m going to wait until the week off to be honest

  5. We have early May ressies that I hope we can use. Realistically, it doesn’t look very likely, and even if things start to open back up, I’m not sure I’ll be comfortable to go rub shoulders this early with the melting pot of visitors from everywhere. All this said, it will only take one scientific breakthrough to make this virus less fatal, and that breakthrough could happen tomorrow. For this reason, I won’t cancel my trip until the very last minute. No amount of hand sanitizer and masks is going to save us, it will require vaccines and better treatment options. God bless all those fighting for other’s lives everywhere. Stay safe.

  6. Our trip is planned for April 15-21 and it was booked on a cast member discount with the college program so I think our discount is gone. But I just can’t seem to dial the number to cancel. I know realistically it won’t be open but it’s just so hard to cancel a vacation that you’ve been looking forward to.

  7. Our trip is booked for Tuesday, April 28th through Tuesday, May 5th. Keeping my hopes up for re-opening. DVC members.

  8. As a travel agent it can be in your best interest to wait for the vendor (Disney, etc.) to announce cancellations. At least that was true in the pre-COVID19 world. Wait until they are waiving change/cancel fees.

    The delay in announcing additional closures, I’m sure, is because the agents need to deal with guests that will be arriving within days, if not en route, to Disney.

    As to reopening – and we were scheduled to for a 3/26-4/5 trip and it broke my heart to cancel our Polynesian Studio as we got it on a travel agent rate and couldn’t afford it otherwise – look at the backlash the Spring Breakers are getting for flocking to beach towns across Florida and the U.S. I really don’t think the situation will be stabilized by April 1st and Disney would just be slammed if they reopened that quickly. I think anything before that 8-week time frame of no groups above 10 (or 50?) is just not going to happen. Believe me, I held on to hope as long as I could. I’m beginning to worry about summer programs at this point.

  9. I have a princess trip with my 3 YO booked for 5/17 to 5/22.. I’m still holding out hope that well still be able to go and just be very diligent with washing hands and face and bring tonnes of wipes for the rides. But the governor of Florida has issued a request to hold off on large gatherings over 50 ppl for 8 weeks which is until May 10. 🤷‍♀️ We can only go with the flow and wait and see. If you’ve booked with Disney, then they will accommodate you.

    1. So are we! Waiting to buy our tickets. I called and they said no refunds, only credits for future use. We don’t know when we can get all of these high school and college grandkids together again. The problem is booking fast passes

  10. We have a trip planned for the week of 04/12. We are just waiting it out. We go on a charter. This is basically it. We have a lot coming up and my daughter starts high school in the fall so don’t want to pull her out at that point (and I’ve been to WDW in the summer–never again, it’s just way to hot/humid for my taste). So if our trip 04/12 gets cancelled then we’ll just have to bag the trip. And sadly, I’d be shocked if they were open by then. I don’t like to be negative but it really sounds like April is going to be a lost month for a lot of things. People with May trips may be in better luck so I’d definitely would hold off for the time being (unless you want to change it to a later date).

  11. Scheduled to stay at the Beach club April 22-25. Can’t bring myself to cancel yet but I also can’t believe that Disney will be up and running by then.

  12. I’m supposed to check in May 3rd for 8 days staying on property with my Grandchildren. I bring them every year, but I’m a little worried about coming so soon after they reopen. I don’t know what to do. I guess I’m going to hold off till after the first of April and see what happens. Hopefully the curve will be going down by then.

  13. Our trip including DVC resort stay, fast passes, tickets, food reservations all planned April 18-26th…we are waiting it out with High Hopes

  14. Our dates are May 11 to15. We don’t know what to do. Flying from Delaware. How long should we wait before we cancel?

    1. March 20. We have planned a trip there for April 15 to the22 what should we do we wanted to extend it into May second week and we can only change our airline tickets once so what would recommendation be and also I am staying on a Disney resort really need to no if they will be open we plan on being really cautious and only 6 of us coming and only will be doing 1 Disney park and sea world with folding what should we do

  15. We’re using positivity to manifest our April 4th trip and will handle whatever comes our way. (Though it’s much more fun to visualize each day of Disney magic, than speculating the unknown)

  16. We have tickets only April 2-5. I have cancelled hotel and will change tickets to August. Disney needs to do a better job than waiting til the last minute.