Reviews of Old Key West Resort (Disney Vacation Club)

Reviewed by Jazzfool20 Review Date: 10/05/2021

Just returned from a stay in a studio at OKW, was there for a week. Let me start by saying I've been going to WDW for many years, and am a DVC member (although OKW is not my home resort). The property and rooms are lovely. Very restrained victorian Key West style. The common areas, greenery, was all well kept and groomed. Staff was always pleasant and friendly. Did have an issue with my flight they assisted with. The room itself was great. Largest studios on property. I believe they were also refurbished recently, so that was a nice touch; updated, but didn't go overboard or lose the theming. Olivias is lovely, and the take-away place "Goods" was good as well. Also, takes low amounts of points to stay, which is nice.
Now for the not so good. Firstly, EVERYTHING at the resort shuts down at 10pm, the pool, bar, all food options, etc...So if you happen to get back from a park late and want something to eat/drink, your stuck. Secondly, the location is not the best either. Only transport is bus anywhere (the ferry to downtown Disney was not running yet), and that being said, you had to make sure you were on your way back to the resort by 10ish, or whenever the park nearest you closed. Thirdly, the theming is very laid back, to the point where it's a little boring, and you better like Jimmy Buffet and Harry Belafonte, because they're played constantly. Finally, and I don't know if this is a more wide-spread issue, or unique to me, but I did not receive a cleaning of ANY kind until I asked for it! It was 6 days and I was almost out of toilet paper, which prompted me to go to the main desk and ask. The hostess quickly apologized and set up a cleaning for the next morning, but I should have at least had a trash-and-towel in the meantime!
Like OKW, but not high on the list, good for last-minute trips, when you can't get in elsewhere, or don't have a lot of points to use. Recommend with reservations.

Pros:

Large rooms, Olivia's restaurant is lovely, low point chart.

Cons:

FAR from everything else at WDW, Bus only transportation, resort shuts down at 10pm.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/29/2021

Nice rooms but not a fan of the transportation

Pros:

Big rooms , Olivia Cafe

Cons:

Transportation

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 06/13/2021

Great, peaceful place to stay with plenty to do. Our room was a ways away from the hospitality house, so it was a pretty long walk to the main pool. However, we had the pool in our area almost completely to ourselves. We stayed in the two bedroom villa, and we loved having so much space for our family. Would definitely recommend for larger traveling parties.

Pros:

Peaceful; quiet; easy access to pool; water slide; size of room

Cons:

Lots of bus stops within the resort; fairly long bus ride to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom; sometimes long waits at the parks to return to the resort; seemed like it took a long time to get to Disney Springs, despite how close it was to the resort

Reviewed by Trudy07 Review Date: 05/18/2021

We stayed in the “near hospitality house” rooms and we were right across the street from everything it was wonderful but the resort is so large if you aren’t in one of those rooms you’re a good distance away from main building

Pros:

Beautiful scenery outside balconies spacious studio

Cons:

No elevators Buses take forever to go around resort

Reviewed by BigBrotherBuddha Review Date: 04/25/2021

This is one of those resorts that just feels like home. The rooms are spacious, the scenery is calm and peaceful, the staff is absolutely delightful. While it may not have all the excitement of other resorts, it does have a plethora of activities for you and your family. Plus, Olivia's is a fantastic restaurant! Oh... and when you leave the parks at night, there aren't as many guests waiting for the Old Key West bus!

Pros:

Spacious, comfortable, feels like home!

Cons:

Sometimes... there is a wait for busses, but it's not a big deal.

Reviewed by RichRdisneydad Review Date: 04/18/2021

Great resort for Dvc members. Several pools and lots of activities for the whole family.

Pros:

Olivia’s has great food and a wonderful atmosphere. Gurgling suitcase is a nice place to get a drink near the pool. Big rooms and the buildings are spread out. You really feel like you are at Key west when looking out your windows with all the trees and decor.

Cons:

Not the best option if you need to ride Disney buses. Several internal bus stops can mean a long trip to or from the parks.

Reviewed by RichRdisneydad Review Date: 04/18/2021

Love OKW! Spacious living area and great pools! Always the first choice to stay when our family and friends are in town.

Pros:

Olivia’s is a must for us! Great mixed drinks at Gurgling suitcase too. Easy to get to Disney springs by boat.

Cons:

Not the best resort if you like to use Disney transportation. Several bus stops and no skyliner.

Reviewed by Smiles00 Review Date: 03/22/2021

When my family and I come home, we always stay at Old Key West. This is our DVC Home and love staying here. We get a 3 Bedroom Villa and have LOTS of room for 5 adults and 3 children under the age of 12. We love the relaxed atmosphere.

Pros:

LOTS of room, relaxed atmosphere, great cast members

Cons:

no cons

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 03/11/2021

It's such a great enviorment. My family and I stay here every year and it is definitely a place to visit. The staff are so accommodating and the rooms are breathtaking looks at the golf course.

Pros:

Rooms, Staff, Family-Friendly

Cons:

A little expensive for some people

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 03/03/2021

It is mine and my families favorite resort

Pros:

Not two much Disney but little hidden details

Cons:

Not that close to parks