Reviews of Shades of Green

A resort for Military and Defense personnel and their families in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area

For full details visit:

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 05/18/2020

We have stayed there 3 * total on trips to Disney. When you ask a question about the theme park or transportation to it and back in times, they could not give answers the hallway smell like barf out beer. My daughter only had a couple grapes and a piece of fruit and they charged her full price of 14 something for breakfast I believe what's the price. And I got charged twice for my vehicle being there part at their facility when I had already paid upfront they charged me on the way out at the machine before they would let me out. When I called them they wanted me to verify it and I asked them can't they do it because I was almost back home over 200 miles away. It took this long just to get through their phone and to get an answer from them on the trip back. I find trying to communicate them is pour at best. That Society feels this is the best we deserve as veterans more active duty military members

Pros:

You're with like-minded military individuals

Cons:

You can't count on cleanliness service or Communications

Reviewed by NoneOfYourBusiness Review Date: 05/05/2020

Awesome Hotel

Pros:

Clean, Big, Good Food.

Cons:

No monorail

Reviewed by Ddandridge Review Date: 03/18/2020

Very Large rooms. Relaxing De micky stress at end of day.

Pros:

Large rooms. Tickets Discounts

Cons:

size, hard to get rooms at busy times.

Reviewed by MJ78 Review Date: 07/19/2019

I am a US AF veteran. I heard you can buy tickets at Shades of Green but I don't have an ID Card. I asked if they will allow my DD214 and VA disability paper showing I have a service connected disability. I even have a VA medical card but they said no. They only allow you to come in person twice a year to purchase tickets with your DD214. Well thats great but I dont live in FL. How can I come to FL to buy tickets in person if I dont live there. There has to be a better way.

Pros:

A discount is available for tickets

Cons:

You can only get tickets with a DD214 in person in FL twice a year in Jan and Sept.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/05/2019

I had made reservations almost a year ago and shades of green had changed my dates without permission or notice. Definitely not a reliable place and I have heard plenty of people having issues with this resort. They will have my business ever.

Pros:

Location is the only pro

Cons:

Not reliable and will change your reservation without notice or permission.

Reviewed by Pathfinder Review Date: 10/17/2018

It makes us feel as if we are staying at a deluxe resort for a moderate price. Great benefit for active duty, veterans, and their families.

Pros:

We love how close Shades is located to MK and TTC. The staff is great and responsive to any needs. The rooms are very spacious and updated.

Cons:

The Shades buses leave something to be desired, but the Polynesian is within walking distance to use Disney World buses or monorail.

Reviewed by Shehdan Review Date: 10/05/2018

Hard to get reservations. We have stayed here many times and never had to make a reservation six months out but I was told you now have to do just that, I called in September and was told February was filling fast.

Pros:

Great rooms and pools

Cons:

Almost impossible to get a reservation

Reviewed by Nodak Mouse Lover Review Date: 09/30/2018

We've stayed at Shades of Green many times and have always had an amazing vacation! Everyone from staff to other guests have been super friendly.
We are usually out having fun all day and don't eat lunch or dinner at the resort, but quite often have had breakfast at the Garden Gallery and loved it. The omelet station is great and they will cook eggs to order, not just omelets. The Express Cafe by the bus stop is really good and reasonably priced.
Rooms are huge and comfy. Our last room had been renovated and had everything we need.
Buses were efficient and on time. A lot of people complain about the buses but we work with the schedule and have no problems or complaints.
Another comment I hear is "the lack of Disney feel". I'm here to tell you, I appreciate the calm after a full day immersed in Disney atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I love the atmosphere when at the parks but it is so peaceful at the end of the day.

Pros:

Room size, ticket office, breakfast, atmosphere

Cons:

Airport transportation

Reviewed by lilymegs Review Date: 03/10/2016

While attending a conference in February 2016, I didn't have a choice as to my accommodations. That being said, I was honestly looking forward to giving SOG a try. I found the resort nice at first, but a little outdated compared to what Disney offers. The rooms are nice and large and kept clean. The worst part of the entire visit were the extremely rude guests. The walls are thin and out of my week's stay - I had two separate groups staying in the room next to me. One group was up at 0530 every morning banging around the next group knocked the safe out of the closet - not once but 3 times and laughed - all at 0600. Not SOG fault for the rude guests, but it seems to be the norm. Guests in the lobby letting their kids run all over the place and down hallways where guests are trying to rest. Restaurants were average and the transportation was horrid. Since SOG is NOT a Disney resort - the dropoff/pickup areas for buses are located at the farthest spots - unlike Disney being closest. Also, several of their drivers were rude. I found walking to the Polynesian and using Disney transportation was much better. Don't ever plan to stay at SOG as a personal choice. It doesn't rank anywhere near the service of Disney that I'm used to.

Pros:

Big rooms

Cons:

Rude guests, construction and noise in general - transportation is bad

Reviewed by rnlandwehr Review Date: 12/15/2015

We stayed 29 Nov - 4 Dec 2015. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was in the Palm Wing and was one of the recently renovated rooms. It was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was also spacious, with two sinks. The resort itself was beautifully appointed with Christmas decorations. It never felt crowded, though the front desk said they were fully occupied. We were able to eat at Manginos with no reservation. There was never a long line at the Java Cafe. We used the Exchange for miscellaneous purchases. The Mill Pond pool was perfect for our 7 year old daughter. They also have a nice playground area for burning off steam. After staying at other Disney Deluxe resorts, I loved this resort for the good value, low crowds, beautiful surroundings. The only drawback for us was that the SOG busses don't start until 30 minutes before the park opens. We like to be at the park at least 45 minutes before park opening. We walked on the 1/2 mile path to the Polynesian every morning and used Disney transporation to the parks. We used SOG transportation for the rides home at night and that worked well.

Pros:

Beautiful, spacious, great value, wonderful pool for kids