Reviews of Shades of Green

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 05/18/2020

We have stayed there 3 * total on trips to Disney. When you ask a question about the theme park or transportation to it and back in times, they could not give answers the hallway smell like barf out beer. My daughter only had a couple grapes and a piece of fruit and they charged her full price of 14 something for breakfast I believe what's the price. And I got charged twice for my vehicle being there part at their facility when I had already paid upfront they charged me on the way out at the machine before they would let me out. When I called them they wanted me to verify it and I asked them can't they do it because I was almost back home over 200 miles away. It took this long just to get through their phone and to get an answer from them on the trip back. I find trying to communicate them is pour at best. That Society feels this is the best we deserve as veterans more active duty military members

Pros:

You're with like-minded military individuals

Cons:

You can't count on cleanliness service or Communications

Reviewed by MJ78 Review Date: 07/19/2019

I am a US AF veteran. I heard you can buy tickets at Shades of Green but I don't have an ID Card. I asked if they will allow my DD214 and VA disability paper showing I have a service connected disability. I even have a VA medical card but they said no. They only allow you to come in person twice a year to purchase tickets with your DD214. Well thats great but I dont live in FL. How can I come to FL to buy tickets in person if I dont live there. There has to be a better way.

Pros:

A discount is available for tickets

Cons:

You can only get tickets with a DD214 in person in FL twice a year in Jan and Sept.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/05/2019

I had made reservations almost a year ago and shades of green had changed my dates without permission or notice. Definitely not a reliable place and I have heard plenty of people having issues with this resort. They will have my business ever.

Pros:

Location is the only pro

Cons:

Not reliable and will change your reservation without notice or permission.

Reviewed by lilymegs Review Date: 03/10/2016

While attending a conference in February 2016, I didn't have a choice as to my accommodations. That being said, I was honestly looking forward to giving SOG a try. I found the resort nice at first, but a little outdated compared to what Disney offers. The rooms are nice and large and kept clean. The worst part of the entire visit were the extremely rude guests. The walls are thin and out of my week's stay - I had two separate groups staying in the room next to me. One group was up at 0530 every morning banging around the next group knocked the safe out of the closet - not once but 3 times and laughed - all at 0600. Not SOG fault for the rude guests, but it seems to be the norm. Guests in the lobby letting their kids run all over the place and down hallways where guests are trying to rest. Restaurants were average and the transportation was horrid. Since SOG is NOT a Disney resort - the dropoff/pickup areas for buses are located at the farthest spots - unlike Disney being closest. Also, several of their drivers were rude. I found walking to the Polynesian and using Disney transportation was much better. Don't ever plan to stay at SOG as a personal choice. It doesn't rank anywhere near the service of Disney that I'm used to.

Pros:

Big rooms

Cons:

Rude guests, construction and noise in general - transportation is bad

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 05/08/2021

I would only recommend Shades if green if you are wanting a cheap place to stay on property.

Pros:

Cheap rooms on property

Cons:

Rude and incompetent staff. They are unable to answer basic questions. The property is showing its age. Loud. Nothing is clearly marked.

Reviewed by momof3inMadisonAL Review Date: 01/23/2013

Third stay. Booked 4 days out for Long Lost Friends. We usually get 2 rooms in values but only suites available with military or FL discount so SoG was $60 per night cheaper this holiday weekend. Usually Disney rates are cheaper than SoG for our pay grade. We were going to MK for a day so this was preferable to staying off property.
In March we had a large room with a big bathroom - double vanity. This time we had a much smaller bathroom. One sink and not a separate room for toilet. Only towels for 4 but our maid was observant and noticed we had 5. We didn't have plastic cups though. Only two coffee cups and two drink cups. It was such a short trip we didn't bring our own Solo cups for kids to drink out of. I do like that they have Starbucks coffee here but food was so bad in 2008 when we stayed, that I don't want to try again.
Ticket office closed too early and opened too late for us to take advantage of it. (our local ITT office was out of the ticket type that we needed).
Stay in March was furthest from parking, but not quite as far this time. I much prefer to be near garage since we usually drive to parks if not walking to Polynesian to catch monorail. .

Pros:

Huge rooms

Cons:

Food, parking

Reviewed by Shehdan Review Date: 10/05/2018

Hard to get reservations. We have stayed here many times and never had to make a reservation six months out but I was told you now have to do just that, I called in September and was told February was filling fast.

Pros:

Great rooms and pools

Cons:

Almost impossible to get a reservation

Reviewed by cavwife82 Review Date: 03/14/2014

We stayed here 2/7-2/14. We are a family of 6 (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 babies) so we loved the size of the room. It was wonderful having the extra space for pack n plays and suitcases! While the room size was nice, it was just like any holiday inn where the carpet is worn, the bathroom fan was very loud and rattled, and our key wouldn't open the door on multiple days so we would have to go down and get a new one. The bus waits were longer so we walked over to Polynesian and used their bus system and monorail. Its only a 15 minute walk so I recommend it. My kids loved the pool. It was nothing fancy, but never crowded. They liked the playground area. My favorite part was the starbucks as you enter. While my husband put kids to bed, I snuck off to get a couple ice cream cones or coffees for us to snack on. The restaurants were pretty good. I was worried after reading such horrible things. We never waited for a table. Some of the food was kind of bland, but I like spice so most places at Disney taste bland. The waiters were so friendly and I loved that the kids under 6 ate free! If you're looking to save a lot of money, than its great. However, if you're expecting that Disney Magic than look into other resorts.

Pros:

price, size of room, restaurant costs, pools

Cons:

no disney feel, bus wait time, room problems

Reviewed by tjm6515 Review Date: 03/02/2013

Stayed 3 nights for PHM weekend. Looks as if SOG is staying tidier than last visits, actually see people cleaning/picking up common areas. The AAFES store has also moved to a smaller location, very cramped and not much amenities as before!

The only negative aspects was we tried to go to bed early for a 5 A.M. wake up, the rooms are so quiet and the halls like echo chambers that when rude guests come into the hotel late at night, they woke us up! Also, the front desk staff seemed rude at check in, no friendly smile, and brief, felt like I was a bother to them.

Pros:

price, large room

Cons:

lack of themeing, check in staff rude, rooms TOO quiet

Reviewed by James Review Date: 05/02/2021

We have stayed here over 10 times. Very few complaints. Biggest standard rooms on property.

Pros:

Great location. No matter what people say the bus system they have is outstanding! It only serves SOG. Plenty of dining options. Golf next door, it has a NEX. Discounted tickets and rooms. Based on your rank. Low cost to park on site.

Cons:

Sometimes people get loud but that is just like every other place you go.