Reviews of Shades of Green

A resort for Military and Defense personnel and their families in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area

For full details visit:

Reviewed by Pathfinder Review Date: 10/17/2018

It makes us feel as if we are staying at a deluxe resort for a moderate price. Great benefit for active duty, veterans, and their families.

Pros:

We love how close Shades is located to MK and TTC. The staff is great and responsive to any needs. The rooms are very spacious and updated.

Cons:

The Shades buses leave something to be desired, but the Polynesian is within walking distance to use Disney World buses or monorail.

Reviewed by Nodak Mouse Lover Review Date: 09/30/2018

We've stayed at Shades of Green many times and have always had an amazing vacation! Everyone from staff to other guests have been super friendly.
We are usually out having fun all day and don't eat lunch or dinner at the resort, but quite often have had breakfast at the Garden Gallery and loved it. The omelet station is great and they will cook eggs to order, not just omelets. The Express Cafe by the bus stop is really good and reasonably priced.
Rooms are huge and comfy. Our last room had been renovated and had everything we need.
Buses were efficient and on time. A lot of people complain about the buses but we work with the schedule and have no problems or complaints.
Another comment I hear is "the lack of Disney feel". I'm here to tell you, I appreciate the calm after a full day immersed in Disney atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I love the atmosphere when at the parks but it is so peaceful at the end of the day.

Pros:

Room size, ticket office, breakfast, atmosphere

Cons:

Airport transportation

Reviewed by rnlandwehr Review Date: 12/15/2015

We stayed 29 Nov - 4 Dec 2015. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was in the Palm Wing and was one of the recently renovated rooms. It was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was also spacious, with two sinks. The resort itself was beautifully appointed with Christmas decorations. It never felt crowded, though the front desk said they were fully occupied. We were able to eat at Manginos with no reservation. There was never a long line at the Java Cafe. We used the Exchange for miscellaneous purchases. The Mill Pond pool was perfect for our 7 year old daughter. They also have a nice playground area for burning off steam. After staying at other Disney Deluxe resorts, I loved this resort for the good value, low crowds, beautiful surroundings. The only drawback for us was that the SOG busses don't start until 30 minutes before the park opens. We like to be at the park at least 45 minutes before park opening. We walked on the 1/2 mile path to the Polynesian every morning and used Disney transporation to the parks. We used SOG transportation for the rides home at night and that worked well.

Pros:

Beautiful, spacious, great value, wonderful pool for kids

Reviewed by shilohg76 Review Date: 03/21/2015

Between cost, space and atmosphere, it is hard to beat Shades of Green. We've been coming to this resort since it first was leased by the military, back when it was just changed from The Disney Inn and continue to do so a number of times a year. Our most recent trip was in February. Normally there are several of us who travel together, but this time it was a girls' only trip with my mother and myself. We were just up for a long weekend and had a blast. First off, the rooms are large for the price paid. For a similar price at a moderate Disney resort, the room would barely be big enough for 3 adults. With 2 queens and a sleeper sofa, you can't complain about cramped quarters.

We normally do the dining plan at SoG, but since it was just a quick trip, we didn't have the option. We still did the breakfast buffet and it was wonderful. I have several food allergies and am also diabetic but I had no issues finding PLENTY to eat. I have found that it can be hit or miss with buffets when you're allergic to onions/garlic, but the availability of create your own omelets and different meat and cheese and fruit options helped tremendously.

The only issue we had was mostly of my own making. We'd plan to go to one park or Downtown Disney but didn't actually consult the handy times guide given to us at check in and thus, either just missed a bus or were halfway between them. Luckily, we really didn't have any ADRs to worry about, so we enjoyed the weather (I considered it chilly, but I've lived in Florida for over 10 years and my blood has thinned to such a point that anything under 70 degrees is chilly).

All in all, if you have the chance to stay here, I highly recommend it. While there is the flavor of military present (bus and restaurant times are military), there is also an overwhelming feeling of Disney, making this property feel warm and inviting. Price, atmosphere and service combine to make this a wonderful destination for families.

Pros:

Location, service

Cons:

Transportation

Reviewed by pcoleman Review Date: 09/05/2014

Another wonderful stay at SOG. Honored all my room requests for location. Took advantage of the 40%. Even w/o discount resort is a great value. Having stayed both on and off site I have to admit i really do like the laid back atmosphere here. It is nice to leave the parks and have a break from all that is Disney. Took friends with us and they could not get over how big the rooms were and how easy and comfortable the resort feels. Love the new buses. Bus drivers were awesome. Only down side we had was not being allowed to obtain fast-passes at 60 mark with rest of resorts. This is a Disney issue not SOG. Can't wait to get back.

Pros:

cost, size of rooms, location

Reviewed by wdwgrandma Review Date: 04/01/2014

Here in March for a week. Joined by my daughter and granddaughter for 4 days. Too busy in the parks, but Shades was super. Hadn't been here for a year and a half, and loved the refurbed rooms and being able to get lunch at Manginos; hope this is all the time. We also enjoyed lattes available all day, and wine, too! It seemed more professional all around since last I was there. Kinda liked showing ID to get on bus to come back to the resort--felt safe that way. Great cast members and everyone was so nice to us. So very thankful that I have the opportunity to come to Shades!!

Pros:

refurbished rooms. Manginos open for lunch. Starbucks all day.

Reviewed by Mimi1 Review Date: 01/25/2014

If you qualify to stay here, it is the best value on the property. The rooms are huge, clean and the hotel is located so close to the MK. We are not fond of the bus service, so walk to the Polynesian and use the monorail system to get to MK and EPCOT. They have a beautiful new pool and are in the process of updating the other pool. I also like that it is out of the hustle and bustle of the rest of Disney. We have stayed here many times and will continue to for future visits.

Pros:

Huge rooms, Good value, Location

Cons:

Restaurants, bus system

Reviewed by disneylover21 Review Date: 08/28/2013

My father was in the National Guard for 21 years and for the last 5 times I have gone to Disney World, we have stayed at Shades of Green. They are welcoming, they allow a taxi company to enter the resort. My father has taken this taxi every time we go and they are very good price wise and personable wise.

When we first get to the resort, they take your name and your ID, proving you were in the military. They tell you of the room, the check in and out times and of any special events going on within the hotel itself. They also, if you're too early to check in, will hold your bags and bring them to your room when it is ready, allowing your group to either spend time around the hotel or get an early jump at Disney World.

They, like Disney World, are very good about food allergies. I am allergic to peanuts and my father to anything with alcohol in it. They asked the chef, he or she will come out and tell us what we can have, which is great. One of many things we love about Disney.

The pools are large and are heated at night. The all you can eat breakfast is always full of food and kept very clean. At the egg stand, they will make other things with eggs beside omelets, which is great for my mom, cause she does like them. The large dining room is classy and has really good food. There are TV's for those who wish to sit in those areas.

The rooms are large, they include two sinks, a bath and toilet, two beds, and sometimes a wonderful view. They also come with a safe, which it great to keep phones, mP3's, pills, and jewelry. They also come with an iron and blow dryer, which mom loves.

The only down side we have ever had is with the grill/ bar in the back of the resort. They are slow and have gotten our orders wrong more then once, along with leaving things out as well.

I will be going back to Shades of Green in January of 2014 for my 21 birthday. And my father (over heard this) has asked them to make a cake for me for my birthday, so they do special things for special events. Which will make my trip very magical!

Pros:

clean, frinedly, welcoming, ready

Reviewed by xtandt Review Date: 02/04/2014

I have stayed here before and wasn't impressed. The rooms have been redone and are very clean and huge. Parking is $5/day, not a big deal. Most of the employees were very pleasant, Would come back again.

Pros:

Beautiful

Cons:

Pay to park

Reviewed by Shehdan Review Date: 10/05/2018

Hard to get reservations. We have stayed here many times and never had to make a reservation six months out but I was told you now have to do just that, I called in September and was told February was filling fast.

Pros:

Great rooms and pools

Cons:

Almost impossible to get a reservation