Recipes Pork Shoulder Boma – Flavors of Africa Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yield: 2 cases pork shoulder
For the Rub Mixture:
5 pounds Kosher Salt
3.75 pounds Granulated Sugar
10 ounces Cayenne Pepper
10 ounces Mace, ground
5 ounces Cardamom, ground
10 ounces Chili powder
10 ounces Mustard, dry
For the Brine:
5 gallons Water
5 gallons Ice
6 pounds Kosher salt
For the Pork:
2 cases Pork Butt, Cut in half lengthwise
Method of Preparation:
1. Prepare the dry rub mixture by mixing all ingredients.
2. Prepare the brine by mixing the salt in the water and adding the ice, mix well.
3. Prepare the pork shoulder by cutting in half lengthwise through the fat cap.
4. Place the pork in the brine overnight the day before service.
5. The day of service, remove the pork from the brine, discard the brine.
6. Toss pork in dry rub, coating well with the mixture.
7. Place on sheet pans on wire roasting racks, cover loosely with parchment and then foil.
8. Bake at 350 for 4 hours, it should be fork tender.
9. For service, slice into 1 ounce pieces and place in a pan on the buffet under heat lamp.