Recipes Melktert (South African Custard Pie) Boma Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yield: 8 servings (1 pie)
1 Pre-baked 9" Pie Dough Shell
2 cups Milk
2 Cinnamon Sticks
6 Peels from 6 Tangerines
1 Vanilla Bean, split in half
½ cup Heavy Cream
¼ cup Cornstarch
1/3 cup Sugar
1/8 teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Apricot Jam
3 Tablespoons Sugar
¼ teaspoons Cinnamon
Method of Preparation:
1. Pre-bake the pie shell for 7 minutes until light brown in color.
2. Steep the milk with cinnamon, tangerine peels, and vanilla bean in a pot for about 3 minutes.
3. Remove pot from the heat and cover tightly for about 20 minutes. Then strain to remove the vanilla bean and peels.
4. Mix cream, cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a smooth paste. Temper into the milk.
5. Put the milk back on the stove and cook for about 2 minutes until mixture is heavily thickened.
6. Add the butter, then remove from the stove to cool to room temperature.
7. Brush the apricot jam on the inside of the pie shell.
8. Mix the eggs into the milk custard and pour into the pie shell.
9. Mix the 3 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top of the pie.
10. Bake the pie in a 350o oven for about 35 to 40 minutes until filling is slightly puffed and brown.
Note: Please remember these recipes are normally produced in larger quantities than needed for home consumption. While the culinary staff has adjusted the recipes to more closely suit your needs, you may need to adjust the spices and seasonings to achieve the exact taste you desire.