Recipes Lamb Potjie Boma-Flavors of Africa Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yield: 16 servings (8 quarts)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
4 teaspoons prime rib spice (may substitute Montreal seasoning)
1 teaspoon cumin
24 ounces cubed lamb meat
3 tablespoons bacon fat
2 ounces cubed parsnips
4 ounces cubed carrots
6 ounces cubed white onion
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup beef stock
4 cups Bisquick baking mix
Note: A potjie (poy-kee) is a 3 legged cast iron cooking vessel that the Dutch introduced into South African cooking.
Method of Preparation:
1. Toss cumin, prime rib spice and curry in flour. Toss cubed lamb in seasoning and coat.
2. Place potjie on high flame and add bacon. When smoking, reduce heat to medium and brown meat in batches.
3. Add all vegetables except tomatoes to potjie and sauce. Add chopped garlic and basil.
4. Sprinkle enough flour over the mixture to absorb any remaining bacon or meat fat. Add tomatoes.
5. Deglaze pan with red wine and then add beef stock. Bring product to a boil and reduce to a simmer until lamb is tender.
6. Cover potjie with thin layer of biscuit mix and bake in 300 degree oven until potjie is golden brown.