Recipes Kenyan Coffee Tarts Boma – Flavors of Africa Animal Kingdom Lodge
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Water
1 cup Kenyan Coffee
1 cup Kahlua Liquor
30 pieces Ladyfingers
7 sheets Gelatin
3 pounds Mascarpone Cheese
1 pound Powder Sugar
8 each Egg Yolks
1 cup + 4 tablespoons Coconut Puree
¼ cup Coco Lopez
1 quart Heavy Cream
1 cup Toasted Coconut
Method of Preparation:
1. Make syrup by boiling water and sugar in a saucepot. Once it boils, remove from flame and transfer into another container. Mix with Kenyan Coffee and Kahlua.
2. Soak each ladyfinger while syrup is still warm and set aside on a sheet pan.
3. Soak gelatin leaves in cold water until soft. Remove excess water, then place gelatin in coconut puree in a small bowl. Place over a hot bath to dissolve the gelatin. Set aside.
4. In the mixer, whip mascarpone cheese with powder sugar. Add yolks, Coco Lopez, coconut puree, and heavy cream. Whip until thick.
5. Temper some of this mixture in the gelatin and put it back with the rest of the filling.
6. Continue to whip until mixture has doubled. Be careful not to over whip and curdle the cheese.
7. Place soaked ladyfingers on the bottom of desired deep dish (about 6 quart size.) Ladle about an inch and a half of the filling.
8. Place another layer of ladyfingers, then ladle another layer of filling.
9. Smooth the top with a spatula, and then sprinkle the top with toasted coconut.
Note: 4 sheets of gelatin is equal to one package of dry gelatin.