Reviews of Beach Club Resort (Deluxe Resort)

Beach Club - A Disney Deluxe Resort

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_bc.htm

Reviewed by SNC Review Date: 11/30/2014

We stayed here for 3 days as part of our Honeymoon at Disney (Started at the Poly, then BC, then AK Lodge). Let me preface this by saying my immediate family and I have stayed at the Beach Club 3 times prior to this, including concierge level suites, and never had a problem. I could not wait to get to the BC and share the experience with my husband who had never seen it. That quickly ended at check-in. We were received without any of the warmth or welcome we experienced at the other two deluxe resorts on our trip. The gentleman behind the desk did not even acknowledge it was our honeymoon (wearing buttons and on the reservation) and then showed me where our room was to be on the map and kept asking "Is that ok?" which should have let me know something was up to begin with. We walked to the room and then they started testing the fire alarm, so the whole walk was extremely noisy rather than peaceful. When we opened the door to our room the room smelled terrible, like dirty socks! I have never experienced this at the BC, or any other resort, but the smell was so strong that I immediately returned to the front desk and asked politely to be moved ( I have never ever done this before). My room request had also not been granted. I had asked 6 months earlier for a room right on the first floor facing the quiet pool. The reservation attendant on the phone had assured me that this was a fine request for my room category, but when I returned to the desk, the gentleman at the check-in desk at the Beach Club stated that my category (Garden View) did not include rooms right on the quiet pool. I pointed out the request, and he said "Yeah, I see that in the computer…" I asked if I could pay for an upgrade to that level. He said yes and informed me it would be $300 more. I said fine (it was our honeymoon and my husband loves to swim laps!). He then had to call reservations to change the room. Upon hanging up the phone he starts showing me the map and says, ok, so it's on the second floor near the elevator. What?! That is totally the opposite of what I asked for. I then asked for my original request of a room on the quiet pool. He then tells me in a condescending tone "You have to understand…it's Thanksgiving." I told him, I was very Aware, as we were there to celebrate our Thanksgiving AND our Honeymoon. He then told me that our room category originally did not include that, and I said they had verified it by phone. He mentioned that was not his fault, but an error on the part of the reservations person. I really did not like being spoken to like a little kid rather than a grown woman. At one point, he even asked if he could call the room and talk to my husband to talk him into the 2nd floor room! (So bizarre, I said No). Eventually, we did get our room on the quiet pool, but not until it was a total upset for me. While there we enjoyed the quiet pool and Stormalong Bay, which is the biggest selling point for this place, and the nice walk to Epcot. The Check-In experience, however, totally soured my love for the BC. I could not believe I was spoken to that way after being a loyal customer and being on my honeymoon. They also weren't very happy at Check-out either, and didn't even ask about our stay. Beach Club front desk really needs to get it together in terms of customer service. Mousekeeping and the gift shop people were excellent.

Pros:

Great Pool, Easy Walk to Epcot

Cons:

Terrible Check-In Experience, Cold Impersonal Feeling

Reviewed by PeterPanFam Review Date: 11/21/2014

Stayed for two nights in November 2014. Arrived at 11 am, room wasn't ready and they said they'd text when it was. Went to the amazing pool and waited hours for the text to get into our room. It never came. Finally stopped at the desk again after the regular check-in time and got our room assignment. It was in the last hallway, as far away from the lobby as possible so it was quite a walk with luggage. But, we had a partial view of Epcot through the trees and a great balcony facing Epcot to watch Illuminations. And our walk to Epcot was about 3 minutes. So we were very happy with it. The room itself was very spacious, clean, and comfortable. Loved the double sinks for getting ready fast in the mornings. Kids loved the pool, can't beat that sand bottom for hours of entertainment. We took a boat to Hollywood Studios and that worked out great. We also enjoyed walking around the boardwalk. Overall, love the hotel, wish it was in our price range more often!

Pros:

Great pool, very close to Epcot

Cons:

Room far from lobby, limited quick food options

Reviewed by 5busyrussells Review Date: 09/25/2014

I was disappointed. Maybe there was too much hype surrounding the pool, etc., that my expectations were too high - but I doubt we will return to the Beach Club. In the past, we have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and I found myself wishing we were there this visit. The ability to walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk was the biggest plus, the pool was nice but not worth the extra cost. I found the hotel to feel to "busy" all the time. Every time we walked through the lobby there were kids running everywhere. Even our kids commented on how disorderly it seemed to be. On arrival, our room was ready, but none of our magic bands worked, so we had to wait until the problem was fixed to be able to go to Magic Kingdom as it would not recognize our dining reservations or Fastpasses. But I believe that problem was system-wide, not just a Beach Club problem. The pool was not available the first day we were there, which was disappointing as the kids wanted to swim for a bit before heading to MK. They ended up going to one of the quiet pools. I think the rooms are in desperate need of remodeling - they look very worn. All in all, for a vacation in excess of $5K, I think I would try the Polynesian next time, although we probably will return to Port Orleans Riverside. It was much quieter and after busy days at parks, to return to yet another busy place, Beach Club, felt like there was never any down time.

Pros:

Proximity to Epcot and Boardwalk

Cons:

Too "busy", not worth the extra expense

Reviewed by mom2mybugs Review Date: 08/10/2014

We really loved the amenities at this room. We have 5, so being able to stay in one room was huge--the sofa bed was little but worked for my 15 year old. We loved the pool and spent a couple nights there. Location proximity to Epcot and Studios was great! We ate at both Beaches and Cream and Cape May (char.breakfast) and were very pleased with the quality.
Cons--tons of walking. We had a pool view (no standards available on the discounts) but it was a long walk to the big pool anyway, and a ridiculous distance from parking! The price is steep...you are paying for location and the pool. If that isn't a priority, the theming isn't amazing enough to justify the price. We loved it, but it was a definite splurge.

Pros:

pool, fun restaurants

Cons:

long walk from parking to lobby and lobby to room, price

Reviewed by hello12345 Review Date: 06/02/2014

We stayed in a standard view 05/27-06/01. Proximity to Hollywood Studios and Epcot were the reason we picked this resort. The walk to Epcot is 5 min. The walk to Hollywood studios is 20+ minutes and not easy in the heat and humidity. I requested a ground floor room close to lobby. I got a 4th floor room at the furthest possible point away from elevators. I expected to have at least one of my requests granted. I got the opposite of both. The room appeared to be in good shape and I had no major issues. The balcony is a joke. It's so small it shouldn't be called a balcony. The Marketplace is small for the size of the resort. However, it never felt overcrowded. I picked up some muffins and danishes several mornings with no wait to checkout. You can refill your resort mugs at pool or at marketplace. At the Boardwalk you either have to ask bartender at pool bar or walk to Bakery. The pool area is a positive aspect. The only day the pool felt really crowded was Saturday afternoon. Kids can stayed entertained at pool for hours. The boat ride to Hollywood Studios is not bad, but you have to stop at Swan before going to Studios. One the way back you have to stop at Swan first before going to Beach Club. The real only issue I had is the room requests not being granted. The other negative aspect is the parking lots are a good walk from the lobby if staying in the Resort side. The Villas appeared to be located a little closer to self parking. Why is the valet parking lot closer to the building than the self parking? It's the same way at Boardwalk.

Pros:

Location, Pool

Cons:

Not many

Reviewed by Ncdj2013 Review Date: 04/16/2014

Our main reason for staying at the Beach Club was the quick walk to Epcot's World Showcase as we like to dine there. There is also boat service to Epcot and Hollywood which was super convenient and quick to our 2 favorite parks.

Our room was clean and attractive and spacious enough for the 2 of us. The bed was very comfortable. We expected a balcony big enough to sit on and were disappointed in our tiny balcony barely big enough for 1 person to stand on They offered us another room the next day but we had a full day scheduled and knew we would not have the time or energy to move. This was the most skimpily furnished room we have ever had and the most expensive. We have stayed at AK Lodge(best resort), Grand Floridian and several moderate resorts.

We ate at the Captains Grille the first night which was nothing special. For breakfast we prefer room service. The food choices are a little better and about the same price. A few things available you don't get downstairs. Also a lot less chaotic.

Bus service to AK and MK seemed a little slower than other places . Our first morning there were 6 MK buses and finally and AK bus. We had to stand in a tight crowd and felt really beat up to start off our first day at AK.

Pros:

Close to Epcot & Hollywood

Cons:

Skimpy room for the price

Reviewed by Dawnmh Review Date: 03/04/2014

Loved staying here! We stayed the end of Feb. into March after going on the Dream cruise and it was great! Not too crowded ! Staff was wonderful and room was clean and great size! Our room had a garden view which was fine but it must have been above the supply area for the staff because it was very noisy when the carts continued to come and get supplies. That was only draw back because I would have liked to keep my balcony door open but the noise was awful. The only other thing I didn't like was coming from DTD, the bus stopped at Dolphin and Swan first. I don't mind sharing buses with other resorts but when those resorts are not truly Disney resorts, they should be dropped off last. The true Disney resorts should get priority.

The pool area was wonderful! My 5yo loved the big ship slide and the current like area in the corner was fun for him too. I would like to see a sign that kept kids out of the hot tubs. It was hard to enjoy when kids were treating the hot tubs like a splash pool. Parents weren't even watching them.

It was nice to be so close to Epcot and HS and be able to just walk around the boardwalk. I will definitely stay here again!

Hey Disney, making all resorts smoke free would be great , even on balconies!!

Pros:

Location, room size

Cons:

Too many stops going to DTD

Reviewed by JerseyShoregirl13 Review Date: 01/10/2014

Very nice resort, but prefer Contemporary. The slide had ridges in it which hurt my back. It was very hot mid-September and the pool was too warm to cool me.

Pros:

Surprised with Concierge level room, with view of pool complex

Cons:

Miss taking monorail around Disney World, did not feel like Disney World without the monorail.

Reviewed by wb17449 Review Date: 12/04/2013

We stayed here Thanksgiving week. Over all our many visits to WDW, we have almost always stayed at the BC. But this will be the last. Although the staff was friendly throughout the stay, we had issues this trip. The toilet overflowed the first time it was used. Maintenance came quickly and pronounced that all was well after plunging and snaking. But the thing never seemed to be right. Halfway into the trip, we noticed small ants around the sinks. As we had no food anywhere near the sink and no beverage cups with sugary drinks nearby, where the critters were coming from is a mystery. We were on the 3rd floor, room 3630. I reported it to the front desk. As for the Beach Club Marketplace, nice food options for lunch and dinner, but breakfast options are very small. We ended up heading to other hotels or to Epcot for breakfast. It just seemed to me that the BC is looking a bit tired.

Pros:

Location close to Epcot

Cons:

limited counter service breakfast options; ants; and overflowing toilet

Reviewed by Harrimans Review Date: 07/21/2013

Stay 6/19 - 6/26

This was our first visit to a Deluxe Resort after staying at two value resorts previously. Check-in was extremely pleasant and efficient which set the tone right away. The lobby was beautiful just like it had been when we were there for dinner at Cape May last year and all of the staff was very friendly. The atmosphere was bit more reserved than the value resorts we have stayed (and quiet).

Our room was ready right away when we checked in at around 6 PM. Our bags were brought up about 5 minutes after we got to the room. We got settled in to our room, changed and made plans to get dinner and swim.

DS14, DD10, DD7 and I went to find the pool while DW went in search of laundry facilities and was going to meet us at the pool after she threw a load of laundry in a washer. We were told the laundry was near the quiet pool so she headed down the maze of corridors and found a smaller laundry room with only a few washers and one of them was broken while the rest were full. She gave up at that point and headed to the market place to find something to eat.

Meanwhile the kids and I found the pool, got our wristbands, went for a quick swim and were also in the marketplace in search of food. The kids did not want burgers at Hurricane Hanna's and were more in the mood for Pizza and I wanted a cold sandwich. The lines were terribly long at the Marketplace and were not moving at all. After looking around and waiting in line for a bit we headed back to Hanna's at the pool and arrived just in time for the door to slam in our face at EXACTLY 9 PM. Back to the Marketplace for flatbreads and pizza, friendly but very slow service and then took our food back to the pool. We had a bit of trouble finding a table but sat and ate and the kids got to enjoy the AMAZING pool for about an hour before bed.

We loved the resort and went to the pool basically every day. We even spent a day just at the resort swimming, coloring, doing laundry (my wife later found a larger laundry room outside in a separate building on the other side of the quiet pool) and enjoyed another wonderful meal at Cape May Cafe located inside the lobby of the hotel. We really enjoyed the ice cream and Beaches and Cream which was probably one of the best uses of snack credits our entire stay. Highly recommend using the "to-go" window if they are busy (which they almost always are). Storm Along Bay is nearly a water park in itself and was the best part of our stay.

We were very happy with the size and cleanliness of the room. The included refrigerator was great for water and other drinks. We did not a large balcony but the layout of our room was able to accommodate a full size day bed which was great for our family of five. The staff was friendly and efficient just a bit more reserved than what we experienced at our value resort stays which was just fine. Not much Disney theming but kids and parents were happy and comfortable. The short walk to Epcot and short boat ride to HS were great and we were able to eat dinner in the World Showcase almost every night.

Really the only negatives were the counter service selections and the seating at the pool. We are used to large food courts at Pop and AoA, so to us the Marketplace is nice but WAY to small in size, staff and selection. Hanna's was great but closes two hours before the pool closed and had about 6 tables. There were more table nearer to the pool but they were not available to actually eat at because our fellow guests would throw their towels and sunblock on the tables and leave it there for hours while they enjoyed the pool and didn't actually eat anything. We found that if you were not at the pool the first two hours or the last two hours it was nearly impossible to find a table and almost as hard to find a couple of empty chairs together. The kids didn't mind because they were having a blast, but DW and I were annoyed a bit because sometimes it would have been nice to sit and watch the kids swim.

Overall the positives FAR outweigh any negatives. Our plan starting in 2009 when our kids were a bit younger was to visit every Disney resort before the last child moved out starting with the Values. We probably should not have "skipped ahead" to the Beach Club because we honestly cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

Pros:

Pool, Proximity to Epcot & HS

Cons:

Counter Service Options