Reviews of California Grill

Other Menus at California Grill

California Grill

Services: Table Service

Reviewed by EricSINY Review Date: 10/03/2021

Ate at California Grill for first time this evening after coming to Disney for almost 14 years. The view from the balcony was amazing and seeing the new fireworks show this way was a special experience. Sorry to say that the food was not a very special experience. Not to say it was bad in any way but for the price and compared to the ambience and decor it was disappointing. They were out of the rib eye (!) and the filet that was served was way under done. I love meat on more the rare side and ordered it medium rare and it was rare to the point where I almost sent it back. I actually loved my meal at Toledo earlier in week so much more. I also felt that for a place that seems to pride itself on a “dress code” there were a lot of people who weren’t even close to what I expected.

Pros:

View of Magic Kingdom fireworks. Decor. Cheese Platter.

Cons:

Cost.

Reviewed by Piccaso7 Review Date: 07/13/2021

Nothing special here. The food is okay, but certainly not great. It’s uninspired and average. California food is usually much
fresher with more robust flavors. California Grill falls short. I will not be returning. Service is good and the view is amazing.

Pros:

Beautiful view. Good service

Cons:

Bland uninspired food.

Reviewed by StarTours1401 Review Date: 06/24/2021

My husband and I kicked off our honeymoon with dinner at the California Grill in June 2021, and it was the perfect start to a magical trip! The view of Magic Kingdom was breathtaking and the service was outstanding. Our server recommended the beef wonton appetizer, and it was probably one of the best things I’ve eaten in my life! Our entrees were also delicious, and our cocktails did not disappoint. If you’re looking for delicious food in an upscale (yet somehow laid back) environment, this is it! The only downside is the cost - It was quite expensive. I suppose all magic comes at a price!

Pros:

- Delicious, high-quality food - Outstanding service - Amazing views of Magic Kingdom - If you’re using Disney transportation, it’s not too difficult to get to (get to MK, then walk or monorail over)

Cons:

- Can be hard to snag a dining reservation - High price tag - During our trip, fireworks shows had not yet returned

Reviewed by BridgetW Review Date: 05/19/2021

Fine dining at Disney! We loved our dinner here. We celebrated our son's 14th birthday here and were not disappointed. Excellent food, service and wine list. The views cannot be beat. We will come here again!

Pros:

views, on the monorail, wine list

Cons:

monorail service ended before our dinner so we had to take a taxi back to our hotel

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/09/2021

This is always a staple when we go to Florida. Views are great and service is always wonderful. Very friendly staff. Sushi is always good and the food has never disappointed us. The one thing I order every time is the goat cheese ravioli. I've been ordering it for at least 10n years. I was there in February and I was so sad that they changed the recipe. I did not like it and it was just a let down. If it was such a successful dish, why mess with it.

Pros:

Fantastic views, great food and friendly service

Cons:

Change recipe

Reviewed by Merwolf Review Date: 03/08/2021

So this was my first time eating at California Grill. To start - the staff was wonderful. They advanced my reset and gave me a table near the window with a great view of Magic Kingdom. The spicy margarita was great and they made it without agave as I asked. I ordered sushi and the scallops and the sushi came out within minutes. Which was kind of a bummer as it was dry tasting and bland as though it had been picked up from Publix. The scallops were well cooked (medium as asked) and tasted great - though the plate was fussy with all sorts of smears of puréed vegetables and a bit of the kind of applesauce you feed babies. It’s possible I am just not sophisticated enough to appreciate that style of presentation but I did enjoy the four scallops that were 54.00. The espresso to end the meal was good and again my server was excellent.

Pros:

Great service, beautiful room, gorgeous view

Cons:

Food was good but did not seem worthy of being signature. Could be a steak would have been a better choice and will skip the sushi next time round.

Reviewed by Becca4335 Review Date: 02/28/2021

This place would make a great date night spot. It's not crazy loud, has great food and also the view from the top could be a great spot for those looking to propose (hint, hint). My boyfriend and I particularly had a great time because of our waiter Riley had reminded me so much of my dad and we went there as a way to remember him because he was brutally murdered in August of 2019 and never got to go to the California Grill but AlWAYS wanted to!

Pros:

Everything The blueberry lemon drop martini was DIVINE!!

Cons:

It's fit for more adults than it is kids.

Reviewed by Moonwatcher Review Date: 02/10/2021

I know folks will hate this review but we actually had the worst filets in our lives at California Grill and it was so disappointing. We worked so hard to get the reservation and looked so forward to eating there. First of all, the sushi was wonderful. Then our waiter brought out our filets. I’ve never had such gristle in BOTH filets. How can you have gristle in a filet? And both? We respectfully showed this to the waiter and they discounted one of the two dinners. That helped but the chefs should know that they have a bad batch of filets and they should not serve them. Unfortunately, there’s too many good restaurants at Disney to schedule another meal there and give them another try.

Pros:

Sushi was phenomenal

Cons:

Massive gristle streak in filets. The chef couldn’t see that, or didn’t care.

Reviewed by Jade Review Date: 11/12/2020

California Grill is a signature dining experience at the Contemporary resort. You will need to take a specific elevator to go up to the restaurant. California Grill is very sleek and modern with floor to ceiling windows with a view of the Magic Kingdom. They have an open kitchen so you can see all the chefs at work. They use ingredients that are in season so their menu changes a lot. We went for dinner at 6:25. We didn't have a window table but our server said that we could pause our meal at 8 when the fireworks started and go outside to watch the show. They pipe in the music and you get a spectacular view if Happily Ever After. We started with the complimentary sourdough bread which is served with olive oil and tomatoes. The bread was fresh from the oven and tasty. Next, for appetizers we tried the Sonoma Goat cheese ravioli and the California roll sampler. The ravioli was very flavorful and the sushi was very fresh. For entrees my boyfriend ordered the ramen and I had bison with Gouda macaroni and cheese. The entrees were just okay which was a bit disappointing since they were the most expensive part of the meal. For dessert we sampled the warm chocolate cake and butter pecan sorbet. The cake was really good! As an extra surprise our server brought me a complimentary cupcake lit up for my birthday. Overall this meal was just okay. The best part was definitely the fireworks show. Some other tips: you can actually go to the lounge without a reservation and still get an awesome view of the fireworks! The lounge is full service and sells all of the food from the restaurant. Also, they have two outdoor areas for viewing the fireworks. The one closest to the elevators is a "better" view but more crowded. Finally, if you are a pin trader ask to see their wine cork pin board at the check in desk.

Pros:

Beautiful restaurant with view of Magic Kingdom

Cons:

Food could be better, expensive

Reviewed by JanelleB Review Date: 04/29/2020

Great restaurant for amazing food and a view. It is pricey so be prepared. The brunch is wonderful but that does not give you view for fireworks. We had to go buy shirts at the store in Contemporary to be allowed to enter but heard the restrictions may have lessoned.

Pros:

Food View Ambiance

Cons:

Price Time to eat

Other topics in Contemporary