If you regularly travel to Walt Disney World, you may have noticed over time that the cost of your trips has gotten more and more expensive.
It’s not a terribly hard thing to notice; in fact, it’s almost expected by Disney World fans that the price is going to go up every year.
But when we adjust for inflation, is Disney World actually more expensive now than it was in years past?
The short answer is, yes, Disney World is much more expensive these days, even when you account for inflation!
On opening day of Disney World (October 1, 1971), the price of admission to Magic Kingdom was $3.50. Adjusted for inflation in 2021, that same ticket would cost $23.25 (according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Keep in mind that a ticket to get into the park wasn’t enough if you wanted to go on the rides. Back then, you needed to buy a separate booklet of tickets called the ‘7 Adventures Book.’ In 1971, that cost an additional $4.50 on top of your park admission, or an additional $29.89 in 2021 pricing.
So the grand total for a day in the Magic Kingdom in 1971 with park admission and ride tickets cost $8, or $53.14 in 2021 pricing. The face value of a one-day ticket to Magic Kingdom in 2021 starts at $109 per day for one adult! That’s an increase of 105% when you account for inflation. When you don’t account for inflation, it’s an increase of 3,014% (just admission) and 1,262% (admission plus rides).
That’s a lot of math and numbers to arrive at a place we already agree on: Disney World has gotten MUCH more expensive over the years, but the value of the cost of a trip to Disney World has also increased over the years.
Back in 1971, a guest would spend $8 to experience one theme park. These days, Disney World has four theme parks, two water parks, dozens of hotels (some of which are destinations in their own right), and a shopping and dining district. There’s much more to see and do in 2021, and it’s virtually impossible to do it “all” in just one vacation!
Be sure to follow along as we share budget tips and ways to save on your next Disney World vacation! That way, you’re maximizing the value that you’re receiving when you visit the parks and resorts!
Click here to read our thoughts on whether or not Disney World’s most expensive hotels are actually worth the cost!
Has Disney World gotten TOO expensive, or do you think the price is justified by the value in what you can do? Let us know in the comments!
Disney World Planning News and Tips
- How to Ride Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure WITHOUT a Virtual Queue or Lightning Lane!
- Do You Qualify for a BIG Discount at Disney’s Aulani Resort?
- Why You Should Pack Your Rain Gear If You’re Headed to Disney World This Week
- NEWS: U.S. Announces New COVID-19 Guidelines For International Travel
- At What Point is Disney World Actually TOO Expensive?
- TWO Classic Attractions, an Underrated Shop, and MORE Closed in Disney World Next Week
- Does Genie+ Actually Save You Time in Disney World? We Tested it Out!
- At What Point is a Disney World Annual Pass WORTH IT for Out-of-State Visitors?
- Some Wait Times JUMPED Up in Disney World Yesterday!
- The One Thing You FORGOT Was Missing at Walt Disney World
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!