Reviews of 50's Prime Time Cafe Lunch/Dinner

Read more about 50's Prime Time Cafe including links to menus here:

Full Service Lunch/Dinner
Disney's Hollywood Studios

Reviewed by DisneyDana Review Date: 09/29/2018

The food in this place is awesome and the whole idea of the theme is the best! The idea is that you are in Mom's kitchen and your cousins and family members are the staff. The first time we went our waiter was hilarious and played the part to a T! Ever since our first visit we have gone back trying to recreate that experience and it seems that NONE of the waitstaff want to play along no matter how much we encourage it. I don't know if they just don't do the "elbows off the table thing" any longer or what but we get stuck with just a regular old waiter every single time....oh well, I'll always go back for the ambiance and the food!

Pros:

Great food, super cool atmosphere

Cons:

Extremely hit or miss on fun wait staff.

Reviewed by wdwfam9 Review Date: 09/26/2018

Loved eating with our cousins, how fun to reminisce! The food was outstanding, and the shakes were delish. We definitely left full and reenergized.

Pros:

cast member interaction

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/26/2018

We always have a great experience at '50s Prime Time Cafe! The food is always good, the service is great. It's a pretty crowded restaurant and can be loud, but go in to it knowing what the atmosphere is like and you'll be fine. Our family looks forward to this restaurant every trip.

Pros:

Good food, fun atmosphere.

Cons:

Busy place, can be loud.

Reviewed by Lisa B Review Date: 09/26/2018

50's Prime Time Cafe

Pros:

This restaurant is one of Walt Disney World's best! The atmosphere is awesome! The staff really help carry out the motif of the restaurant and add a lot of fun! The food is amazing and priced very well!

Cons:

No cons.

Reviewed by Liz McKinnell Review Date: 09/21/2018

We ate at the 50’s Prime Time Cafe for the first time ever this holiday. We loved it! The food was top notch - it was nice to have ‘proper’ food rather than the usual burgers and fries. Between us we had the meatloaf, pot roast and Mom’s sampler. All plates were cleaned, which meant we could have desserts! Our server was Aunty Sue and she was lovely and had plenty of banter with the other server in our area of the restaurant.
We will definitely be back.

Pros:

Good food, fab atmosphere

Reviewed by SCOTTMOP Review Date: 08/26/2018

Love this place. Its like going back in time to a better time in this country. The milkshakes here are to die for. I had the Salmon which was delicious. Wife had the pot pie and daughter had meatloaf. Again with dining plan got alcoholic drink and soda with dinner. I got the dads lemonade which was delicious. The desserts are awesome and our server was great as our cousin. Will definitely be back

Pros:

food and theme

Reviewed by minniemom Review Date: 07/27/2018

I had the Mom's special which is a sampler platter with pot roast, meatloaf and fried chicken. All three meats were so tender and flavorful - I forgot I was at Disney!! They say the fried chicken is their best seller, but I thought the pot roast was out of this world. They were served with mashed potatoes and perfectly cooked green beans - not mushy and certainly not canned! The wedge salad had way too much dressing on it. The onion rings come with a delicious horseradish ranch sauce.
The theme of "Grandma's house was rude in the 50's" has a very specific and very sarcastic humor. It can be intense as the servers do not break character. It's not for everyone, but it was entertaining. Our server told all of us to stay off our phones and elbows off the table.
Loved all the classic shows playing on the old TV sets throughout the restaurant. The waiting area looks like an old living room.
Will definitely be back. It is so good.

Pros:

Excellent food!!

Reviewed by KenHutch Review Date: 06/25/2018

Cannot recommend this place enough. I am a serious chicken critic and I think the chicken here is better than Homecomings at a lot less money. Seven of us had the chicken and my daughter being an independent type had the pot roast she works in a chicken place as a hostess and cannot eat chicken anymore LOL).

Pros:

The Chicken and that Peanut Butter Cake

Reviewed by Biggums Review Date: 06/12/2018

I went here on husband on 6/9/18, and Needless to say I thought everything was amazing, The food was great portions were good for the money, And our server was amazing.

Pros:

Food, Service, Ambiance

Reviewed by jeconk Review Date: 01/08/2018

I have written good reviews for Ohana, Liberty Tree and others, but I can safely say that 50's Prime Time Café is my favorite at Disney World and the food is best tasting of all the restaurants at Disney. MY HIGHEST RECCOMMENDATION, can I give this place a 12 instead of 10???

I made reservations at this restaurant and the rest of my family was not too excited about it but all left praising the food, the service (and my choice of restaurants....lol). After we checked in we waited in the "living room" which is next to the bar and has 50's style furniture (getting up off the lounger was an interesting experience...lol). They have several old style TV's in the waiting room and bar area that show clips from many old 1950's sitcoms (Car 54 Where are You?, I Married Joan, Topper, etc.) Classic shows that I started to get into but the clips of each show were short. (may have to find DVD's of those...). We were called and escorted to our table and since our table was in the back, we got to see much of the restaurant. Most of the seating areas are in "family kitchen" like set ups with the old fashioned tables and chairs. Each "kitchen" also had a table extending from a set of cabinets with a tv above them (got to see more sitcom clips!!). This table had four chairs at it and we were fortunate to be seated at one of them.

Our waiter, Scott F, was there quickly and told us the 'rules" (no walkie talkies at the table....err cell phones, no elbows on the table and sit up.) He also pulled up a chair from another table and sat down and went through the menu with us telling us a little about each item and then he took our drink orders. Scott, along with the other serving staff we observed were very fun and played up the "mom's kitchen" bit with the customers. (Scott kiddingly told one teenager at an adjacent table to "stop whining like a teenager."). It is a very fun atmosphere!!

Then the food came and as I said, it was the BEST! Between us we go the "Mom's Favorites Platter," Vegetable Lasanga, Dad's Stuffed Pork chops and the Blue Plate Special (which was Cod.)

My wife had the pork chops and raved about how tender it was, my mother in law had the vegetable lasagna and mentioned that it had plenty of vegetables and was a good size portion. My daughter had the Blue Plate Special which was cod with a side of rice. The rice was incredible (I had a taste of it....then I took another taste and another....lol). I find rice to usually be very bland no matter how it is prepared, but this rice had a ton of flavor.

Now for my meal, "Mom's Favorites." This plate comes with a small portion of the pot roast, two pieces of fried chicken and a small portion of the meatloaf along with mashed potatoes and green beans. Scott asked me what pieces of chicken I wanted and I chose the leg and wing. The chicken was ok, typical fried chicken, nothing to write home about. The meatloaf was extremely good! Good flavor and texture and packed well. (didn't fall apart like some meatloafs I have had.) The mashed potatoes were ok but again, there were much better items on the plate. I have found that it is hard to cook string green beans in large quantitys and those served by restaurants tend to be either mushy or not fully cooked. 50's Prime Time Café changed my opinion on this as the green beans were cooked perfectly, served hot and had very good flavor. I have saved the pot roast for last in my review for a reason....it was the BEST I have ever had....I could have eaten two meals of it. Very flavorful, very tender, very moist and just incredible. I also had the pot roast at Liberty Tree and the strip loin at Boma and this meat far surpasses those.

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the best meals I have ever had.

Finally for dessert, we each ordered something different and passed them around. Between us we had the Peanut Butter Layer Cake (ok), Mom's Brownie Sundae (very good), the no sugar added cheesecake (there was no sugar in it? could have fooled me...very good.) and my favorite, warm apple crisp ala mode. The apple crisp had just the right amount of cinnamon flavor and plenty of apples for the portion size.

Scott "pulled up a chair" and sat down with us several times to see how we were doing and asked us if we liked it. (even told us he would replace anything we didn't like but we didn't need to take him up on that...). He was truly one of the best servers we have had at our several trips to Disney....and we tipped him accordingly!

Some people may avoid this restaurant because of the name or the theming, but that would be a mistake! The food and service of this restaurant is sure to over ride any qualms one may have with the theme. Give it a try!!

Pros:

Incredible flavor of the food, excellent service, fun atmosphere, My highest reccommendation

Cons:

Some people may be turned off by the theme or "attitude"

Other topics in Disney's Hollywood Studios