Reviews of Skipper Canteen

View Menus at Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen Dining Location

Cuisines: Asian, Other/Ethnic, African
Read more about Skipper Canteen including links to the menus and reviews here:

Themed around the famous Jungle Cruise attraction, this new Adventureland eatery features a wide variety of Asian and American dishes.

Reviewed by clyde0523 Review Date: 06/11/2017

I enjoyed Skipper Canteen, but for my less adventurous family members the food left something to be desired. The wait staff is hilarious and the corny jokes from the Jungle Cruise ride are a mainstay at this restaurant. We were on the dining plan and this was new which was why I chose this as one of our options, but if we weren't on the dining plan it wouldn't have been an option. I enjoyed it, but if your party is not made up of foodies that are willing to try new things its probably not the place for you!

Pros:

atmosphere, wait staff, jokes

Cons:

food choices are exotic

Reviewed by Swin1989 Review Date: 04/30/2017

DH and I ate here on March 9, 2017. We aren't the adventurous type when it comes to food. Me a little more than DH. So we took a risk eating here. We did OK. I had the Nile Nellie's noodle bowl with chicken. Wasn't quite what I thought it would be. It was basically a big bowl of soup. It tasted fine and filled me up. DH got Skip's beefy baked pasta. It was similar to lasagna in the way it was layered. DH said it was good. However, this isn't a place on our must do list. It's a fairly new restaurant and we are glad we tried it.

Pros:

service, atmosphere

Cons:

interesting food choices

Reviewed by mamavogel74 Review Date: 04/25/2017

From check in to check out this was one of our top meals of the trip! Skipper Jackie was our waitress and she was great. The menu seems a little funky, and my dad was wary but he ended up getting one of the best NY Strip steaks he's had on property. For me, I had the "it tastes like chicken because it is" fried chicken, since it's offered as a gluten free option ! It was served with rice and a chili sauce. The taste was so good, and the coating was actually crispy and delicious. Other dishes eaten by our table- SEA Shu Mai, the sustainable fish of the day, and Skips Beefy Baked Pasta. All our plates were clean.

Pros:

Everything !

Reviewed by feenie20 Review Date: 04/05/2017

My Husband and I shared the pork dish which was well seasoned and we enjoyed it. The menu is over all a little strange, but if you don't mind being a little adventurous, then this may be the place for you!
The bread they serve as a starter is not for everyone. It has some exotic spices and comes with fennel-honey dipping sauce. I thought the whole thing tasted like potpourri, but my husband enjoyed it.
Our server was fine, tried a few jokes on us and made good recommendations.

Pros:

great theme

Cons:

strange food

Reviewed by MWS Review Date: 03/09/2017

This restaurant is a lovely addition to the Magic Kingdom, the theming is well thought out and the atmosphere is perfect match for the Jungle Cruise ride. Our server was attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu and helped point out the best items on the menu. On our server’s suggestion, we started with the Schweitzer Slush, which turned out to be an excellent choice; it was very refreshing after an afternoon in the park. We also ordered the Shu Mai appetizer, steak and fish entrees. All the dishes were great, making this one of the best places to eat in the Magic Kingdom.

Pros:

Food, service

Cons:

price

Reviewed by monorailmom Review Date: 03/04/2017

We had yet another truly enjoyable meal here! We checked in and were told we could wait to be called either out by the check in stand, or inside. Well we went inside, but found two wicker chairs on an outside little patio looking out onto Adventureland. That alone was so magical! We stayed out there looking at all the people go by until our name was called. The food was again delicious. I tried the "tastes like chicken" this time, and I just loved it. I will definitely order this again in the future! My husband and son loved their meals as well, and they can both be picky eaters.

Pros:

Food, atmosphere

Reviewed by JoanneS Review Date: 11/21/2016

We dined here 11/4/16 for lunch. It was a short wait before we were brought to our table. The server seemed to be trying too hard to be funny. The menu is different, which we liked, but I made a bad decision. I ordered the fish and I really wish I hadn't. It was a weird consistency, like mashed potatoes almost and quite salty. I only ate about a third of the dish and told the waiter that I didn't really like it. He just replied, "oh, I'm sorry." We ended up paying $80 for a meal I didn't enjoy at all. My DH said is vegetable dish was ok and the bread was good. Next time, we try something else.

Pros:

Clean

Cons:

Price, and push for comedy

Reviewed by lauri Review Date: 10/08/2016

We ate here on the last night of our trip, on the 45th birthday of the Magic Kingdom. This was our longest wait for a table, but we were not in a hurry. The cast members seating people were very nice and had a great time sharing corny jokes and chatting with them. Our food was great, although, the kitchen was running slow. We were given a fast past to any attraction (except for Frozen), which we used on Test Track the next day. This is now my favorite table service in the Magic Kingdom!

Pros:

food and ambiance

Cons:

little bit of a wait

Reviewed by Fitzboyzmom Review Date: 10/07/2016

The Jungle Cruise is my son's favorite ride, so we were looking forward to the antics at this new restaurant. Our waitress was great and really got into character.

The food was just OK. They serve the bread with some kind of tea and honey sipping sauce and some of it is on the bread...did not like it. I ordered the noodle bowl and it was just OK. My husband had the steak salad and had the same opinion. My son LOVED his mahi mahi and we also like the appetizer we had. I think I would try it again and order something different.

Reviewed by maze4 Review Date: 10/01/2016

Ate here 9/14 on DP. Arrived 1/2 hr early and was told they could seat us right away. Ended up waiting 1/2 hr so really took us on our actual ressie time. This was our first time here. dh & I was celebrating our 25th anniv with a no kids trip and wanted to try restaurants that the kids wouldn't. Was seated at a very small table for two and had a very nice server Paul who explained items on menu (as you have to be able to eat different things). Ordered shu mai dumplings as app. Really enjoyed them but afterwards figured out the meal had a lot of salt in it as my dh swelled up. I ordered the chicken and dh ordered char sui pork. Food was ok my chicken had a panko crust but not seasoned at all. everything was served over rice and mixed veg. We are everything cuz we were hungry but really satisfied. Had coconut bar and jasmine rice for dessert and out of the two liked the jasmine rice the best. Restrooms were small and it seems that when your a party of two you end up sitting right next to the restrooms and/or you sit right next to a very noisy family. This was the first time in our 25 yrs to be actually be without kids and really wanted the peace and quiet and just didn't get it here. The waiter was nice but never even acknowledged our anniversary

Pros:

large seating, cast members interactions

Cons:

food ok tables for 2 very small