Reviews of Skipper Canteen

View Menus at Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen Dining Location

Cuisines: Asian, Other/Ethnic, African
Read more about Skipper Canteen including links to the menus and reviews here:

Themed around the famous Jungle Cruise attraction, this new Adventureland eatery features a wide variety of Asian and American dishes.

Reviewed by monorailmom Review Date: 03/04/2017

We had yet another truly enjoyable meal here! We checked in and were told we could wait to be called either out by the check in stand, or inside. Well we went inside, but found two wicker chairs on an outside little patio looking out onto Adventureland. That alone was so magical! We stayed out there looking at all the people go by until our name was called. The food was again delicious. I tried the "tastes like chicken" this time, and I just loved it. I will definitely order this again in the future! My husband and son loved their meals as well, and they can both be picky eaters.

Pros:

Food, atmosphere

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 02/19/2020

Not good! We had the most humorless waitress who seemed incredulous that we did not order alcoholic beverages. She told my husband he looked like a Stella Artois man-whatever that means? Our fried chicken dish was barely war, greasy, and an odd piece of chicken. The sauce drizzled on top was extremely salty. Oh, and I forgot the appetizer (because it was so forgettable). Falafel that was lukewarm and pasty. We could hardly get out of this restaurant fast enough. What an overpriced, mediocre spot!

Pros:

Location?

Cons:

Food Service Prices

Reviewed by smsdls Review Date: 09/30/2018

If you love the Jungle Cruise ride then you’ll enjoy this restaurant. The jokes at Skipper Canteen are similar to that of the Jungle Cruise. I’ve always been able to get in here and feel it’s one of those great overlooked locations. The food is great and service has been outstanding at the many times I’ve visited.

Pros:

Great food, unique selection.

Cons:

I don’t have any Cons

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 02/11/2020

food was alright steak was over salted for my mother but deffintley some interesting choices to try was told there would be more than just the setting such as jokes from the servers that didnt happen couldnt even get a different server to bring us a napkin and then at the end since are service was poor didnt leave a great tip which didnt matter because then the waitress came back with the tip being removed

Pros:

takes 1 table dining credit nice atmosphere food was decent

Cons:

service

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 06/09/2019

This new restaurant in MK was what I was looking forward to all trip. The menu shows loads of promise for the restaurant, with all the jokes and references to the ride, but upon arrival, my party and myself were highly disappointed with the theming, atmosphere, and food quality..

Pros:

The waitress was really kind and did everything she should

Cons:

The steak was chewy and bland, and the seafood stew was monoflavored, with all of the different seafood tasting the exact same. The different pieces of seafood tasted old and like it had been marinating together for a long time. The atmosphere was highly disappointing, with no references to the ride. It was a very serious-acting restaurant that just felt old and stuffy. The theme seems to fit better with the lobby of the Tower of Terror

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/31/2019

We would not eat here again. Sadly, we really wanted this restaurant to meet our Disney expectations. The food is sub par at best and was far too salty for my taste.

Pros:

Clever design to incorporate the Jungle Cruise ride.

Cons:

Terrible food, inattentive server

Reviewed by Bamma Review Date: 03/15/2019

Food was ok

Pros:

Easy to get in

Cons:

Found out why Robert was worst server EVER!!!

Reviewed by JoanneS Review Date: 11/21/2016

We dined here 11/4/16 for lunch. It was a short wait before we were brought to our table. The server seemed to be trying too hard to be funny. The menu is different, which we liked, but I made a bad decision. I ordered the fish and I really wish I hadn't. It was a weird consistency, like mashed potatoes almost and quite salty. I only ate about a third of the dish and told the waiter that I didn't really like it. He just replied, "oh, I'm sorry." We ended up paying $80 for a meal I didn't enjoy at all. My DH said is vegetable dish was ok and the bread was good. Next time, we try something else.

Pros:

Clean

Cons:

Price, and push for comedy

Reviewed by EleanorofAquitaine Review Date: 05/21/2019

We tried Skipper Canteen for the second time on May 18th. Our first experience was hit and miss, so we wanted to give them another chance, but unfortunately, this time was even less successful. Our party was seated quickly, and they let us come in even though we were a half hour early for our reservation. The theme is fun, the decor and the corny jokes works as a connection to the Jungle Cruise. I appreciate that there's space to breathe, as the tables are not crammed together, and that the noise level is manageable. But right off the bat, small things bugged-- for example, I am a cancer patient using a mobility scooter, which I had to leave a small distance away from the entrance to the restaurant, even though last time I was able to park it much closer. I understand that they have to do something because of the many scooters and wheelchairs being used these days, so I was okay with that, but then they seated us in the furthest room of the restaurant, with only one table further back then the one where they seated us. We passed dozens of empty tables (it was not yet 5 pm) and my husband asked if our party could be seated there so I did not have to struggle to walk so far. The hostess walking us back just made a joke and kept us moving. Our server did the usual corny joke patter, which is fun, but was terribly inattentive. water glasses were not refilled, I could not get her attention to replace a dropped napkin, and we were never offered a dessert menu although I was really looking forward to dessert.

Our meals were not ample or high quality enough for the prices they command. There was no bread offered. When my DH ordered salad, he was told the dressing was "a bit spicy" and was asked if that would be okay (no mention os what would happen if it were not okay, btw). He said it would be fine but the dressing was made with extremely hot aji peppers and left quite a long aftertaste of pure heat (I sampled it at his request, as did another member of our party of 4). That should be an alternative, not the main dressing. I'm also not crazy about the current fascination with wedge salads at WDW, but the salad was deemed adequate. His soup, a coconut curry, was odd but enjoyable. My steak was cooked properly medium rare, but had some gristle. The accompaniments left a lot of be desired-- the flavor of the chorizo was a bit overpowering and it was mainly beans and sausage, with only a smathering of veggies and the reduction sauce that was said to be included as well. A nice roll or piece of bread would have been appreciated. Another in our party had the steak as well and he enjoyed it. The fourth in the party had the lamb chops, which consisted of two tiny chops. She said they were good, but it would have been nice to have third since they were so small. Again, more of the accompaniments would have been appreciated. Our waitress, who had been cracking jokes when she explained the menu, was not personable at all throughout the meal and simply dumped the check without offering dessert, which we would have ordered. Oh, and the tea is terrible. It's bad enough that Disney doesn't offer sweet tea, but the unsweetened tea is awful.

Pros:

nice decor and plenty of space

Cons:

lackluster and inattentive service, uneven food that was too expensive for what you get (and I am used to paying a lot at Disney, which is fine when the flavor and quality merit the price).

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/15/2019

Server was totally humourless. Other tables had a jokey, convivial server but not us. Food average. Won't be back

Pros:

Cons:

None if you get a decent server