Reviews of Skipper Canteen

View Menus at Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen Dining Location

Cuisines: Asian, Other/Ethnic, African
Read more about Skipper Canteen including links to the menus and reviews here:

Themed around the famous Jungle Cruise attraction, this new Adventureland eatery features a wide variety of Asian and American dishes.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 02/11/2020

food was alright steak was over salted for my mother but deffintley some interesting choices to try was told there would be more than just the setting such as jokes from the servers that didnt happen couldnt even get a different server to bring us a napkin and then at the end since are service was poor didnt leave a great tip which didnt matter because then the waitress came back with the tip being removed

Pros:

takes 1 table dining credit nice atmosphere food was decent

Cons:

service

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/18/2020

This is the best restaurant in Magic Kingdom.

Pros:

Excellent theming for die hard Disney Parks fans, the most adventurous menu in the park.

Cons:

Not great for picky adult eaters. The kids menu always has something for a picky eater, but the only boring adult meal here is the chicken option. But isn’t this the place to be adventurous? In Adventureland?!

Reviewed by beachpup Review Date: 12/04/2019

After trying to get into Liberty Tree Tavern and even Diamond Horseshoe for dinner without a reservation to no avail, we decided to reluctantly try Skipper Canteen, which didn't have too bad a wait. Are we glad we did! We had a special appetizer which was biscuits and some cheese sauce which was so delicious, and we each had the steak which was worlds beyond the steak I've had at Be Our Guest. The accompaniments with the steak were so flavorful and made it all the more better. Our waitress was very pleasant, friendly and down to earth, and of course dispensed with the Jungle Cruise style jokes, which I loved. We sat in the library area, which was quieter then the main room, decorated like it would fit into Animal Kingdom, although the restrooms are located through this room so there was foot traffic from that. Try to sit in this room or the room in the back with the parrot lights for a more peaceful dining experience. We will definitely be back!

Pros:

Excellent food, entertaining atmosphere, easier to get into without a reservation

Cons:

Picky eaters may have a hard time

Reviewed by jannielane Review Date: 11/14/2019

I ordered the Sankuru Sadie's Seafood Stew. It was bland and flavorless. The coconut broth seemed to have no seasoning other than salt. The seafood was well-cooked, but the pieces were tiny and the octopus was chewy. I'll give the restaurant a second chance, thinking that I perhaps chose one of the weak entrees. The Kungaloosh dessert is yummy. Service is nice, but not amusing, as guidebooks led us to expect.

Pros:

Food is decent, service is good

Cons:

Flavorless

Reviewed by annat856 Review Date: 09/27/2019

I have been wanting to try this restaurant ever since it opened. My family of 6 ate here on September 7th for dinner. My DD23 and I each had a Sangria. Hers was a green apple one and it looked very fun. Mine was very good as well. The dinners we got are:A lotta Steak salad DS liked it, Hardy Har Pork both my DD and DH liked theirs,the signature grilled steak my DS loved, Perkins Thai noodles DS loved this, and I got the Seafood Stew. I really enjoyed all the seafood on the top: crayfish, mussels, shrimp, a mild fish, octopus no thanks! But then as I got down to the broth I really disliked the flavor it gave the seafood and the rice so I didn't finish it. Our service was good but not excellent.

Pros:

Fun exotic food

Cons:

I learned that I might need to be careful what I order. I generally like adventurous food but sometimes I might want to get the steak salad, lol.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/20/2019

This is great, anti-theme park food. It's probably a little too \"out there\" for some picky eaters, but when you reach the park of your trip where another hamburger seems like a death wish this is a great place to go and have some actual food. Plus, they really ham up all the kitch from the Jungle Cruise. The inside is themed so well, and the AC is always blasting

Pros:

Diversity of asian fusion flavors, theming

Cons:

The siu pork was pork with a glaze, not actual siu pork (different cooking methods)

Reviewed by NC-Dad Review Date: 09/15/2019

We ate here on 9/08/19 for lunch, after our FP+ for Jungle Cruise. The menu here is very diverse and exotic, but don't let the descriptions scare you away. The food and flavors in the dishes seem incongruous at first, but the overall taste of the dishes is wonderful.

My wife has a gluten allergy, and this restaurant has the most extensive Gluten Free (GF) menu anywhere. She had the GF Fried Chicken and loved it. She said she would eat it all day if she could.

Being a seafood lover, I had the seafood stew, and it was wonderful as well. The jasmine rice and the coconut sauce complimented the seafood incredibly well. I would eat this dish for every meal if offered to me.

We both had the "quicksand" dessert and loved how light the rice pudding is. Neither of us are big rice pudding fans, but we were impressed by the overall quality. The sauce provided a nice tartness that complimented the rice pudding well. The "cookie" on top is light and sweet, and is also GF.

If you have never eaten here, you absolutely must. The serving staff is wacky, much like the Jungle Cruise captains are. The humor is exactly the same, and adds a playful twist to the dining experience.

Pros:

Exotic flavors, Large GF menu offerings, Funny Serving Staff, Great Food!

Cons:

Not your typical theme park fare (if you consider that a "con")

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/02/2019

We are adventurous eaters in our family (our kids eat spicy Indian and Chinese food since toddlers) so we all loved this restaurant. I gave it 8/10 only because it isn't as amazing as say Jiko or Flying Fish. 2 of us are vegan and thought the vegan dishes were really great. Older son got a seafood stew and said it was really good.
Daughter 12 still raving about chicken soup from kids menu. Boring people who just want to eat as much meat as possible probably won't like this place. If you think Applebee's-type places have great food them you probably won't like this place. If, however, you like Thai food, Indian food and other flavorful cuisines, then you will find some good dishes here.

Pros:

Best vegan food at MK, not crowded at non-peak times

Cons:

"exotic" and "spicy" for boring people who love meat

Reviewed by PamI Review Date: 06/15/2019

On this last trip to WDW (5/27/19-5/28/19), I decided to eat at one (or more) of the restaurants in The Magic Kingdom. I am Lacto-vegetarian (milk products, no eggs) and looked at the menus for the various restaurants. I made reservations stating I was allergic to eggs and found some items to eat before I arrived. The staff was friendly, asked if I had been there before, did their spiel about the ride (I liked it), did not repeat the second day (but would have if I asked). The table was ready, liked each time, I felt respected, even though I was a single diner. The second day, I was given the allergy friendly menu (I knew what I wanted the first day). I told my server I wanted the one dish with noodles and I was told a non-egg noodle could be substituted. I did not feel rushed, each server was attentive and friendly, there was little to no wait for my table, the food was delicious.

Pros:

Friendly, attentive staff; good food. Food allergy friendly. Good vegetarian dishes.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 06/09/2019

This new restaurant in MK was what I was looking forward to all trip. The menu shows loads of promise for the restaurant, with all the jokes and references to the ride, but upon arrival, my party and myself were highly disappointed with the theming, atmosphere, and food quality..

Pros:

The waitress was really kind and did everything she should

Cons:

The steak was chewy and bland, and the seafood stew was monoflavored, with all of the different seafood tasting the exact same. The different pieces of seafood tasted old and like it had been marinating together for a long time. The atmosphere was highly disappointing, with no references to the ride. It was a very serious-acting restaurant that just felt old and stuffy. The theme seems to fit better with the lobby of the Tower of Terror