Last week, The Walt Disney Company furloughed all “non-essential” employees at the Disney Parks, effective April 19th.
According to a report, the furloughs have now hit Walt Disney’s Studios as well, with select employees of the film empire’s various divisions being given notice of being furloughed starting April 19th.
In their statement on April 2nd, Disney stated that members of their media and entertainment division whose “jobs aren’t necessary at this time” would be furloughed as well. According to The Hollywood Reporter, notices for those employees arrived today.
Sources told The Hollywood Reporter that “the marketing and distribution departments have been especially impacted.” This comes days after Disney made some major moves to their film release schedule, which saw films like Mulan, that were supposed to be released at the end of March, moving to an end of July release date once held by Jungle Cruise.
The Walt Disney Company oversees a large film portfolio, with Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios, Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Animation Studios, 20th Century, and Searchlight Pictures all under the Disney umbrella.
Make sure to subscribe to AllEars to keep up with all of the latest Disney news.
Want to learn more about the Disney Parks closures?
- The Disney Parks Closures: Here's Everything We Know
- Here's Everything That Disney World is Refunding Due to the Temporary Closure
- Here's Everything That Disneyland is Refunding Due to the Temporary Closures
- Here's Everything That the Disney Cruise Line is Refunding Due to Suspended Itineraries
- Should I Cancel My Disney Trip? Taking a Closer Look at Our Most FAQ
- Flattening the Curve: Why Disney is Closing Everything
- All the Times That Disney World and Disneyland Have Closed Throughout History