Recipe Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup Le Cellier, Epcot
Updated Recipe November 2010
Yield: 8 servings
5 cups milk, warmed
½ pound bacon
10 tablespoons butter
1 cup celery
2 each red onions, finely chopped
1 ½ cups flour
1 quart chicken stock
1 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
To taste – kosher salt
To taste – freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons Tabasco sauce
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
12 ounces slightly warm ale
Method of Preparation:
1. Slowly heat milk.
2. Brown the bacon first, then render until crisp.
3. Add the butter and melt.
4. Add celery and onions, cook until translucent.
5. Add flour and mix thoroughly to form a roux.
6. Add chicken stock and simmer for three minutes.
7. Add warm milk and stir vigorously to thicken.
8. Cook out roux until thickened (it should not have a starchy taste).
9. Reduce heat to low, add cheese, and stir until melted.
10. Season with kosher salt, pepper, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce.
11. Just prior to serving, add warm ale.
12. Garnish with cooked bacon and fresh chives.
Cook's note: When re-heating soup, do not bring to a boil, as it will break down.