Yesterday, Florida’s Governor, Ron DeSantis, officially signed the Parental Rights in Education bill (what critics call the “Don’t Say Gay” Bill) into law. According to ABC News, the bill is expected to go into effect on July 1st.
In response to the bill being signed into law, the Walt Disney Company quickly released a statement.
In their statement, the Walt Disney Company shared the following:
Statement from The Walt Disney Company on signing of Florida legislation: pic.twitter.com/UVI7Ko3aKS
— Walt Disney Company (@WaltDisneyCo) March 28, 2022
The statement came after an eventful month for the Walt Disney Company in regard to the Florida bill. In early March, Disney came under public pressure to respond to the bill after reports that the Company had donated to various Florida politicians supporting it (Orlando Sentinel). Eventually CEO Bob Chapek responded, sharing:
“We understand how important this issue is to our LGBTQ+ employees and many others. For nearly a century, Disney has been a unifying force that brings people together. We are determined that it remains a place where everyone is treated with dignity and respect. The biggest impact we can have in creating a more inclusive world is through the inspiring content we produce, the welcoming culture we create here and the diverse community organizations we support, including those representing the LGBTQ+ community.”
In a press conference, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis took aim at the Walt Disney Company condemning the bill. According to Newsweek, DeSantis told reporters at the press conference, “For Disney to come out and put a statement and say that the bill should have never passed and that they are going to actively work to repeal it, I think one was fundamentally dishonest, but two, I think that crossed the line.”
We will continue to watch for more updates from Florida, other states, and Disney regarding this Bill (now law). Check back with us for more Disney news.
More Stories About This Situation
- Disney Delays Job Relocations Following Political Tensions in Florida
- Florida Will Likely Take Control of Disney World’s Reedy Creek District, According to Governor DeSantis
- How Does the Public Feel About Disney vs. Ron DeSantis? We’ve Got the Answer
- President Biden Comments on Recent Issues Between Disney and Florida Politicians
- What Would Repealing The Reedy Creek Act Mean For Disney World?
- Florida Governor Comments on Repeal of Reedy Creek Improvement Act in Disney World
- Florida Legislators Threaten to Repeal Reedy Creek Improvement Act in Disney World
- Bob Iger Comments on “Don’t Say Gay” Bill and Disney’s Wage Gap
- NEWS: Florida Governor Responds to Disney’s Statement on Passage of “Don’t Say Gay” Bill
- Disney Comments as Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” Bill is Signed into Law