We’re just a few months away from the maiden voyage of the new Disney Cruise Line ship, the Disney Wish!
The new ship will be unlike any we’ve ever seen before, with new experiences, new attractions, and some amazing dining options! We’ll be covering all the updates until the ship sets sail, and today we got some more details on the entertainment offerings onboard.
Over the weekend at Destination D23, two new shows were announced for the voyages: an adaptation of The Little Mermaid and a special embarkation day celebration hosted by Captain Minnie. Now, Disney is sharing more information on these two brand-new offerings.
Disney The Little Mermaid
Disney The Little Mermaid is going to be a retelling of the classic Disney animated film. When the show begins, “the curtain will rise on an enchanted treasure chest at the moment it is discovered by a group of storytellers, led by a special young woman who has the power to unlock its magic.” Those storytellers will take on the roles of characters from The Little Mermaid, adding their own contemporary spin on the story.
According to Disney, here’s what we can expect from the show:
- “New orchestrations of favorite songs like “Part of Your World,” “Poor Unfortunate Souls,” and “Under the Sea” will enchant audiences with moving ensemble pieces and breathtaking production numbers.
- Unexpectedly playful scenic designs and state-of-the-art video projections will transform the Walt Disney Theatre into a 360-degree undersea environment.
- Contemporary, interpretive costuming will reflect the show’s unique blending of a modern setting and a mystical, fantastical story.
- Cutting-edge puppetry will animate fantastical sea creatures and characters such as Sebastian, Flounder, Scuttle, and Flotsam and Jetsam in never-before-seen ways.”
Disney Seas the Adventure
During your first night aboard the Disney Wish, you’ll be treated to a musical adventure with some of your favorite pals, including Captain Minnie, Goofy, and a variety of Disney heroes and princesses. As Captain Minnie hands over the helm to Goofy, he’ll set a course into “uncharted” waters. Disney notes that “Along the way, Goofy will encounter a bevy of bold, brave and brilliant Disney and Pixar friends who encourage him to lead with his heart through rousing renditions of iconic Disney songs.”
You can expect the following musical numbers in the show:
- “Tiana will teach Goofy the power of hard work to make a dream come true during a lively performance of “Almost There” from Disney Animation’s “The Princess and the Frog.”
- Goofy will navigate to the big ocean blue where Crush and Squirt — the tubular turtles from Pixar’s “Finding Nemo” — show him how to “Go with the Flow” in a high-energy production of the song fans will recognize from “Finding Nemo – The Musical” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- In an original arrangement exclusive to this show, heroines Elsa, Moana and Merida will perform a powerful medley of “Let it Go,” “How Far I’ll Go” and “Touch the Sky,” emboldening Goofy to go into the unknown.
- When Goofy loses his way and self-doubt takes hold once again, he’ll gain the courage to “Go the Distance” with the help of Hercules and a host of heroes from a variety of Disney films.”
If that doesn’t get you excited to watch some brand-new shows onboard the Disney Wish, then we don’t know what will! It sounds like these performances are going to be top-notch, and we can’t wait to check them out when the ship sets sail next year!
Will you be sailing on the Disney Wish next year? Tell us in the comments!
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!