One of the ways people compare crowds at Disney World versus Disneyland often comes down to Annual Passholders. In general, people tend to say that Disneyland has a higher percentage of Annual Passholders than tourists, whereas in Disney World, it’s the opposite.
However, Disney never discloses exact attendance numbers, so these estimations are typically based on conjecture.
Financial analysts did some number crunching, however, in an attempt to provide a clearer picture of how big a slice of pie Annual Passholders make up for Disneyland’s attendance. We’re talking about, as theme park industry experts have observed, upwards of one million Annual Passholders.
Orange County Register reported that, according to UBS financial analysts, Disneyland Annual Passholders accounted for on average 50% of resort attendance. Themed Entertainment Association/AECOM estimates that the Disneyland Resort drew in approximately 28.6 million guests between its two parks in 2019. According to UBS estimates, Annual Passholders make up for 14.3 million of those guests.
When the numbers are crunched even further into daily park attendance, it’s estimated that it would take a whopping twenty days to let each Passholder into Disneyland Park once, and nearly twice as long for Disney California Adventure. According to OC Register, “that’s without allowing a single daily ticket-buyer or Disney hotel guest into the parks.”
The sheer volume of Passholders alone offers more clarity on Disney’s decision to “sunset” their current AP program. The program will be replaced by new membership offerings once Disneyland announces reopening plans, which likely won’t take place until late spring or perhaps summer. At the very least, Disney announced that the Anaheim Resort will remain closed through the Company’s second quarter of their current Financial Year.
We’ll keep a close watch on Disneyland in the coming months and we will let you know once we learn more about new membership offerings.
Click here to learn more about Disneyland’s decision to end their current Annual Passholder program.
Did you have a Disneyland Annual Pass? Let us know in the comments!
Disneyland Resort News
- NEWS: Bill to Reopen Disneyland Sooner Gains Support of L.A. Supervisors
- NEWS: Disneyland Resort’s Buena Vista Street to Close in Preparation for New Event
- ALL the Restaurants and Stores That Will Be Open for Event at Disney California Adventure!
- Disneyland Resort’s Ticketed Event Will SOUND A Little Different!
- NEWS: Lamplight Lounge Will Reopen Soon at Disney California Adventure!
- NEWS: You Can Meet THESE Characters at Disneyland’s Upcoming Event!
- NEWS: All the DETAILS Announced for Ticketed Disneyland Resort Event
- We Spotted Something NEW at Disney’s Avengers Campus!
- Legacy Passholders Going to Disney California Event Will Have Access to Special Opportunity
- NEWS: Disneyland’s Grand Californian Gets a NEW Opening Date
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!