Disney along with Marvel, Pixar, and Lucasfilm are officially heading “into the unknown!”
Disney is this-close to the $10 billion mark at the box office this year. As of Sunday, December 8 Disney and its studios were at the $9.9 billion mark, and are expected to pass the $10 billion milestone this week.
As Disney nears this record, they will best themselves. They are breaking their own record from 2016, when they raked in $7.6 billion at the box office.
Disney has had five films reach the $1 billion mark this year, with Avengers: Endgame becoming the highest grossing film of all time. Other $1 billion films for the studio this year include Captain Marvel, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, and The Lion King. It is expected Frozen 2 will become the sixth Disney film to reach this milestone this week.
And this all before the release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker! The conclusion of the Skywalker saga arrives in theaters December 20th, 2019, and is expected to be a hit for Disney, perhaps its seventh $1 billion+ film of the year.
To make this even more momentous, the $10 billion does not include Fox films that were released this year including X-Men Dark Phoenix, Ad Astra, and Ford vs. Ferrari. Including those Fox titles would push Disney well past the $10 billion to $12 billion mark.
Were you a part of Disney reaching this milestone? Which Disney, Marvel, Pixar, or Lucasfilm films did you see this year? Let us know in the comments?
Want to learn more about Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker? We can help!
- Get Those Acceptance Speeches Ready – the 2020 Oscar Nominations Are Here!
- 39 Moments in Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker that Made Us Cry
- Walt Disney Studios Celebrates 2020 BAFTA Nominations
- A Delicious New Star Wars Treat Has Landed in Disney’s Hollywood Studios!
- New Rise of Skywalker Lightsabers Spotted in Walt Disney World’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- New Rise of Skywalker Exhibit at Walt Disney World Features Props and Costumes from the Film (Along with Some Spoilers)
- Feel the Force with New Rise of Skywalker MagicBand at Walt Disney World
- Film Review: “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”