Before the historic closures at Disney World and Disneyland, it was full steam ahead on many exciting projects, including new rides and attractions, renovations, and refurbishments. The work being done in Disney World was all in preparation for the resort’s 50th anniversary, set to take place in October of 2021. In the last few months, however, Disney has had to shift their focus and priorities as they recover from a grueling loss in revenue from the closures.
During a Q&A at the Bank of America Virtual 2020 Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference, Disney’s Chief Financial Officer Christine McCarthy highlighted three upcoming projects that Disney considered to be a top priority in the theme parks moving forward.
McCarthy pointed to Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser in Disney World, Avengers Campus in Disney California Adventure, and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway in Disneyland as priorities when asked about current construction projects.
When asked about what was being prioritized for projects going forward, McCarthy shared that the company prioritized several projects that were already “in construction”, stating that, “ones that we are really focused on are things like the Star Wars hotel in Walt Disney World”, along with the “completion of the Avengers Campus in Disneyland, as well as Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway which is also a priority project for Disneyland.”
These three projects have been closely watched as progress is currently being made. Work is being done on the upcoming Star Wars-themed immersive adventure (not technically a “hotel,” although that’s another way to describe it!). Over in Disneyland, the Quinjet recently arrived to the construction site of Avengers Campus, and the steel frame for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway went vertical just last week.
While these three projects are moving along, several other projects have been paused due to the closures, primarily in EPCOT. This includes shelving the lengthy Spaceship Earth refurbishment as well as the Mary Poppins-inspired attraction in the United Kingdom Pavilion in World Showcase.
EPCOT has a number of additional projects in the works that were not mentioned by McCarthy. These include Space 220, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind, HarmonioUS, the PLAY! Pavilion, and several other enhancements to the park in preparation for its 40th anniversary in 2022.
We will continue to keep you updated with any further developments, or news on upcoming projects for the Disney Parks!
What upcoming project at either Disney World or Disneyland are you looking forward to the most? Let us know in the comments!
More Construction News!
- Confirmed! Disney World’s Kali River Rapids Will Close for Refurb Early Next Year!
- PHOTOS: Avengers Campus in Disney California Adventure Park is Looking EPIC!
- PHOTO: Construction Makes Way for World’s Largest White Castle Near Disney World
- PHOTOS: Major Updates on Magic Kingdom Entrance Sign!
- New Aerial Photos Reveal Update on EPCOT’s Harmonious Barges in Disney World
- Take A Look at the Latest Progress on ‘La Gelateria’ in Disney World!
- PHOTOS: See What the Renovated Disney Cruise Line Terminal in Port Canaveral Looks Like Now!
- PHOTOS: Check Out the Construction Progress Near Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure in Disney World!
- PHOTOS: Here’s a Sign That Disney World’s Ratatouille Attraction Is One Step Closer To Opening!
- NEWS: Liberty Square Riverboat and Tom Sawyer Island Refurb in Disney World Has Been Further Extended
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!