Recipe Spanakopita Spinach and Cheese Casserole Greece Epcot
Yield: 6 Servings
3 TB olive oil
1 Large onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 Cup ricotta cheese
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup thinly slice green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
8 sheets phyllo dough
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion and garlic until soft but not browned. Stir in spinach and cook until all the water from the spinach has evaporated, about four minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta and feta. Stir in cooled spinach mixture, the green onions and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in prepared baked baking pan, place another sheet of phyllo dough on top and brush with olive oil. Repeat process with two more sheets of phyllo. The phyllo dough will overlap the pan.
5. Spread spinach and cheese mixture into pan and fold overhanging phyllo over filling.
6. Brush with oil, then layer remaining 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil. Fold overhanging phyllo into pan and brush with a final coat of oil.
7 Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve warm.