Chef Art Smith's Cheddar Drop Biscuits
From Chef Art Smith’s Instagram:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- extra butter to grease pan and top biscuits
- additional 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese for topping
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a 10-inch cast iron pan into oven while it preheats.
2. Place flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in medium bowl. Mix in butter and cheddar cheese.
3. Make a well in middle of ingredients and pour in buttermilk. Stir until mix is moistened, adding an extra tablespoon of milk if needed.
4. Remove the hot skillet from the oven and place a tablespoon of butter in it.
5. When butter has melted, drop 1/4 cupfuls of batter in pan. (Use muffin or ice cream scoop if you have one.)
6. Brush the tops of biscuits with melted butter.
7. Bake for 14-16 minutes until tops and bottoms are golden brown.
8. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup grated cheese.
Recommendation: top with hot pepper jelly.