Although we’ve been able to visit the reopened Downtown Disney, Disneyland itself has still not released a reopening date.
After the Anaheim Mayor and Disneyland Resort President made cases for theme parks reopening, California Governor Gavin Newsom has been providing updates about how the state is handling the reopening of entertainment.
During a recent conference with Governor Newsom, there were discussions about reopening theme parks moving forward. After Newsom was asked about his opinion on Bob Iger leaving the Economic Task Force, the governor expressed his gratitude to Disney’s former CEO and detailed the reasons why the break occurred.
Newsom stated, “I had a wonderful conversation with Bob, who has been very active and participatory in our task force. I’m incredibly grateful for his support, his insight, his council — over the period of the last number of months. And it didn’t come to me as a surprise at all. There’s disagreements in terms of opening a major theme park. We’re going to let science and data make that determination.
I understand the dialectic, the friction, the frustration that many business leaders have that they want to move forward sectorally to reopen. But we’re going to be led by a health-first framework and we’re going to be stubborn about it. And that’s our commitment, that’s our resolve. And while we feel there’s no hurry putting out guidelines, we’re continuing to work with the industry, amusement parks.
And by the way, amusement parks aren’t just Disney. You’ve got all kinds of amusement parks, including smaller parks that are out there on the piers like down in Santa Cruz, and others that may be impacted. And so we’re trying to work through all of those things. It’s very complex — these are like small cities, small communities, small towns. But we don’t anticipate in the immediate term any of these larger theme parks opening until we see more stability in terms of the data.”
While major theme parks in California may not be opening in the immediate future, Disneyland has still been putting health and safety measures in place. Along with the digital reminders we saw in Downtown Disney today, signs added to the park entrances and overhead announcements have also been added ahead of the parks opening again.
You can watch the full conference where Governor Newsom discusses climate change and other details about reopening the state below.
As California continues to move forward with its reopening plans, we’ll make sure to let you know more details about how theme parks are affected!
Have you returned back to Downtown Disney recently? Let us know in the comments below!
Disneyland Re-Opening News
- NEWS: Disneyland Will Be Opening Stores and Restaurants Along Buena Vista Street This November!
- When Can We Expect Disneyland to Reopen, Now That California Has Released Theme Park Guidelines?
- BREAKING NEWS: California Releases Reopening Guidelines for Disneyland and Other Theme Parks
- NEWS: Disney Fans Will Be Hosting a Rally in Support of Disneyland’s Reopening
- NEWS: Disneyland Reaches Return to Work Agreements With 11 Unions in Preparation for Reopening
- Two of Disneyland’s Most Popular Shows Will Reportedly Not Reopen in the Parks
- Disneyland Employees Will Have Two New COVID-19 Free Testing Options Soon
- NEWS: Governor Newsom Comments on Bob Iger Stepping Down from California’s Economic Task Force
- NEWS! California Plans to Issue Reopening Guidance For Disneyland and Other Theme Parks This Week!
- NEWS: Disney Vacation Club Will Reportedly Be Eliminating 279 Jobs in Florida As Part of Layoffs