Reviews of Kona Cafe Lunch/Dinner

Other Menus at Kona Cafe

Kona Cafe

Services: Table Service

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 08/06/2021

We went to Kona Cafe for dinner the first night of our trip. We started out with Keiki juice which was really good. The apps, which were the wings and potstickers, did not disappoint! Very yummy. The bread service was also quite good. Our sushi was fresh and delicious, and my son’s strip steak was wonderful. My husband had the mahi BLT and was expecting a sandwich. It’s actually a salad. For dessert we had the bread pudding which is amazing. Our server Macarena was fantastic. This place was great!

Pros:

Great apps, sushi, pineapple bread, dessert

Cons:

?

Reviewed by PixieDust6 Review Date: 08/01/2021

Since Kona Cafe offers TOGO from the restaurant, I could not pass up getting an order of Sticky Wings ( Glazed Chicken Wings) to eat poolside. These wings are a long time favorite of mine and to get them without table service seemed like a great thing to do. They were quick with my order and it came in a nicely sealed brown box. Their were 6 meaty wings (separated) at least and they did not disappoint. They are not spicy but have a wonderful sweet sauce with a bit of tang. You can add more spice if desired but I think they are great just the way they are. Great snack option (they are an appetizer on the menu) or have as a meal and get some fries at Capn' Cooks. Would get again if TOGO stays as an option longer.

Pros:

TOGO is a great option to dining inside

Reviewed by Merlovesdisney97 Review Date: 06/29/2021

I was so nervous to come based on some previous reviews but all my worry was for nothing. This place is amazing! Our server, Carol, made us laugh all night long and gave us excellent, quick service. We had a later dinner, around 8:30… we didn’t have to wait for a table at all, in fact they seated us a few minutes before our reservation. The bread basket was just average bread but after a long day at the parks, it hit the spot. Started off with some sushi and it was great. Perfect size to eat by yourself, but we split it three ways (it comes with 8 pieces). I had the short rib and it instantly tied for the best entree I’ve ever had at Disney (next to the mahi mahi at coral reef). My boyfriend had the airline chicken and it was ok, just not what we were expecting and probably wouldn’t get it again because it just doesn’t compare to that short rib. I mean everything on the plate was perfection—the rib was insanely tender, not too well done, and shreds so easily with just a fork. The broccolini and mashed potatoes were a perfect compliment to the beef. To finish us off, our server brought the pineapple bread pudding that they usually have at O’hana and my soul was singing. Also, someone in our party is vegetarian and was nervous to find something on the menu to fit her needs, but the chef made a stir fry with tofu just for her. It definitely added some extra Disney magic to our day! Our service was just excellent all around. Keep in mind, Polynesian Village is under construction (summer 2021), and it was kind of hard to find since we are not familiar with the resort layout and a few minutes walk from where an Uber dropped us off. Overall a great experience to end a great day at Disney. Will definitely be back.

Pros:

Great service, some incredible dishes, not too crowded later in the evening, bread pudding from O’hana

Cons:

Not all dishes are as great as the short rib, kind of hard to find if you’re not familiar with Polynesian Village

Reviewed by LisaLLJ Review Date: 05/18/2021

First, our server was the sweetest and service was fantastic. I was very disappointed with the food. I was super excited to try the Pork Belly Noodle Bowl but I really didn’t live up to my expectations. The pork was very chewy. The sauce and noodles were delicious but this mean was definitely not worth the cost.

Pros:

Two words…Lapu Lapu! This drink was exactly what I needed for the first night of my Orlando vacation. Service was excellent.

Cons:

Overpriced for the quality of the food.

Reviewed by SMDeMauro Review Date: 01/14/2021

Delicious, fresh food. Nice sushi options, but also delicious wings. The burger was very good. And the bread pudding dessert is amazing! Even if you don't like bread pudding normally (I don't), try it!

Pros:

Fresh, lighter options. But also that bread pudding!

Cons:

If you're not into sushi or seafood, the additional options are somewhat limited.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 11/19/2020

I gave it a one because I didn't get to eat. Scored reservations and was looking forward to enjoying tonga toast. When we got to the hostess- who greates us with a deceptive smile- we were instructed to check in on the mobile app. We were not given an option to check in but told we had to - with that deceptive smile. I looked around, there were three or four other groups of diners trying to check in via the mobile app and having no luck. I hate to stupidity of the mobile check in - I am paying YOU but I have to check myself in. Mrs. Smiley face was splitting her time between \"happily\" instructing people to check in with the mobile app and trying to HELP people check in. (HINT: it wasn't working very well.)

At any rate, I try to check in. After several tries, I finally get the \"menu.\" Cool: just push check-in, right? WRONG- now I have to change the settings on my phone. What????? I need to enable my GPS. Enabke GPS to freaking eat. I had trouble getting that done. Feed up with having to jump through hoops for the privilege of paying top dollar for what amounts to a little above average breakfast, I got frustrated and walked away. Mrs. Smiley Face was probably happy I was one less source of frustration she had to deal with and didn't even bother to ask if she could help. Disney, stop with everything smart phone for the love of God.

What difference does it make if my GPS is enabled for mobile checkin???? I scanned the qr code- I must be there, right? Never again.

Pros:

nothing

Cons:

mobile check in, including rearranging the settings on you phone.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/02/2020

Ate lunch at Kona cafe because we could not get our normal Ohana since it is closed. Poor choice on us. The waitress was slow with everything. 5 minutes to even get to the table the first time. She was only waiting on 3 tables besides us and we was all sitting close together. 5-10 minutes to bring our drinks. The duck plate with fried rice was so salty it was inedible. One bite and we sent it back and said we did not want anything else because of how long it was taking. The only good thing I can say was the chicken wings were very good. From the time we sat down til we paid was just shy of 2 hours and they was not busy with plenty of empty seats. Hopefully after the renovations they will have a new chef and a better menu.

Pros:

Chicken wings

Cons:

Service, limited menu, too salty, slow

Reviewed by JanelleB Review Date: 04/27/2020

This used to be one of my favorite table service locations at WDW. With the changes in menu items it has only become a priority for breakfast. They removed my favorite salad and some of the great appetizers. I could find something on the menu as my DH and DD love sushi and would want to visit, but again, not a priority anymore.

Pros:

Location is beautiful Great sushi Great breakfast

Cons:

Not a lot of options if you don't like sushi

Reviewed by EleanorofAquitaine Review Date: 01/04/2020

Well I hate to write this review but feel I really must join the chorus of those saying that the Kona of today is NOT the Kona of the past, and the changes have been to the negative. We stay at the Poly two or three times a year, at least, and have always considered Kona our favorite place to eat. No more. In the past year or so, since they changed chefs, it has suffered. The menu is full of sushi (they have a sushi bar already so those who want to focus on that could eat there instead) and new dishes that pale in comparison to the wonderful dishes of the past. This past visit, the week before Christmas, was the last straw. I had some bland airline chicken with decent vegetables beside it, my DH ordered salmon and had to order a side dish, because NOTHING is included with that very expensive entree. They brought him a plate of broccolini that could have fed at least 4 people, but it was woody and bland and cold. His salmon was inedible--- there were dozens of bones in it, some large enough that I could see them from across the table. It was dangerous, imo. The waitress did not come back by to check with us after someone else dumped off our food. She finally appeared with our check--- didn't ask if we needed a to-go box for my half-eaten chicken or his basically untouched fish, didn't offer to show us a dessert menu, didn't show any interest in us at all. My husband told her about the problem with his meal and she basically shrugged and said "oh, sorry you didn't like it." No one attempted to put things right or even to acknowledge that the meal should never have been served as it was. Water glasses went unfilled, the butter they brought with the rolls was so hard it could not be spread--- lots of little things I could overlook under other circumstances. Clearly, they don't care that their menu is not satisfying to guests like us (oh, how I long for them to bring back the fabulous tuna sandwich that was a must-have for every DW visit in past years). But when the changes in the menu are combined with poor quality control, and worse, a lack of concern, that's when I throw in the towel. I love the Poly, but we'll just grab a bite at the fabulous pool bar next time and head next door to the Grand Floridian for an actual evening meal. I never dreamed I'd post a negative review of Kona's, but I cannot in good conscience recommend it in its current state.

Pros:

It's at the Poly, and they still have Tonga Toast in the morning

Cons:

menu, price, substandard quality, poor service

Reviewed by magicalhoss Review Date: 07/06/2019

we ate here 6/12 for dinner, highly disappointed. love the noodle bowl they had in the past and not pleased with anything offered. did order the lob mac&cheese and brocollini. way too much for each and not very good. Unless the menu is revised will no longer visit Kona Café.

Pros:

seated quickly - what does that tell ou?

Cons:

menu changed and not better, worse in my opinion

Other topics in Polynesian Village