Reviews of Kona Cafe Lunch/Dinner

Child's Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/kona-cafe/child-lunch-dinner

Read prices, menu items, and more about Kona Cafe

Services: Table Service , Table Service

Reviewed by JanelleB Review Date: 04/27/2020

This used to be one of my favorite table service locations at WDW. With the changes in menu items it has only become a priority for breakfast. They removed my favorite salad and some of the great appetizers. I could find something on the menu as my DH and DD love sushi and would want to visit, but again, not a priority anymore.

Pros:

Location is beautiful Great sushi Great breakfast

Cons:

Not a lot of options if you don't like sushi

Reviewed by EleanorofAquitaine Review Date: 01/04/2020

Well I hate to write this review but feel I really must join the chorus of those saying that the Kona of today is NOT the Kona of the past, and the changes have been to the negative. We stay at the Poly two or three times a year, at least, and have always considered Kona our favorite place to eat. No more. In the past year or so, since they changed chefs, it has suffered. The menu is full of sushi (they have a sushi bar already so those who want to focus on that could eat there instead) and new dishes that pale in comparison to the wonderful dishes of the past. This past visit, the week before Christmas, was the last straw. I had some bland airline chicken with decent vegetables beside it, my DH ordered salmon and had to order a side dish, because NOTHING is included with that very expensive entree. They brought him a plate of broccolini that could have fed at least 4 people, but it was woody and bland and cold. His salmon was inedible--- there were dozens of bones in it, some large enough that I could see them from across the table. It was dangerous, imo. The waitress did not come back by to check with us after someone else dumped off our food. She finally appeared with our check--- didn't ask if we needed a to-go box for my half-eaten chicken or his basically untouched fish, didn't offer to show us a dessert menu, didn't show any interest in us at all. My husband told her about the problem with his meal and she basically shrugged and said "oh, sorry you didn't like it." No one attempted to put things right or even to acknowledge that the meal should never have been served as it was. Water glasses went unfilled, the butter they brought with the rolls was so hard it could not be spread--- lots of little things I could overlook under other circumstances. Clearly, they don't care that their menu is not satisfying to guests like us (oh, how I long for them to bring back the fabulous tuna sandwich that was a must-have for every DW visit in past years). But when the changes in the menu are combined with poor quality control, and worse, a lack of concern, that's when I throw in the towel. I love the Poly, but we'll just grab a bite at the fabulous pool bar next time and head next door to the Grand Floridian for an actual evening meal. I never dreamed I'd post a negative review of Kona's, but I cannot in good conscience recommend it in its current state.

Pros:

It's at the Poly, and they still have Tonga Toast in the morning

Cons:

menu, price, substandard quality, poor service

Reviewed by magicalhoss Review Date: 07/06/2019

we ate here 6/12 for dinner, highly disappointed. love the noodle bowl they had in the past and not pleased with anything offered. did order the lob mac&cheese and brocollini. way too much for each and not very good. Unless the menu is revised will no longer visit Kona Café.

Pros:

seated quickly - what does that tell ou?

Cons:

menu changed and not better, worse in my opinion

Reviewed by MJTinNH Review Date: 06/06/2019

Let me start by saying that I love Kona Cafe. I am however extremely disappointed with their new menu. We had dinner there May 5, 2019. The new menu is great for those that want sushi or duck. Not so great if you want a better variety of "Polynesian" fare. I had a steak which was very good, but did not come with any veggie side. Those are purchased separately now. I ordered asparagus. It was very good but expensive and a huge plateful. My companion usually goes for a chicken meal. The only thing on the menu that night was a soup. All of the poultry entrees were served with duck. Not everyone is a fan of duck. So they grilled a plain boneless chicken breast and threw on some sort of veggie for her. The chicken was bland an not seasoned. We did not bother with the new dessert "glasses". Not worth our time. We purchased a Mickey Bar at the snack bar downstairs. It was a better choice. We stayed for a week at the Poly and this was our first dinner on the first night there. We did not go back.

Pros:

Great setting, wonderful staff.

Cons:

Menu has been radicalized and does not appeal to those that are not sushi/fish/duck lovers. I am not recommending Kona for dinner at this time. Hopefully the menu will be revamped again.

Reviewed by vickey t Review Date: 04/17/2019

Great service and nice atmosphere. Employees are friendly and gracious. Treated mom, who uses a wheelchair, with courtesy and respect.

Pros:

Totally accommodating to my many food allergies.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/19/2019

on our visit george from nj seated us. he was very friendly and answered all our menu questions despite being the only seater we saw vthere. i ordered the wings which i would give a 10. so so good. our server was great also, dispite being very busy. i would have given it a ten, if it had better entrees and some everyday food. way too much suschi for our taste.

Pros:

great wings

Cons:

too much sushi way too little everyday persons food.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/10/2018

Used to be great. Now food so salty it was inedible. Asian stir fry with chicken or shrimp. Our server offered to mix them which was a good idea but he racked on extra $9.00 for the 4 shrimp.veggies chopped so tiny that I couldn't identify them. Drinks expensive and weak.

Pros:

Beeper to let you know tablecusxteady

Cons:

Salt, Salt, Salt.

Reviewed by sand935 Review Date: 10/01/2018

We do not care for the menu changes that they have been making to the dinner menu. I like pork options and the pork duo is not up to the other pork options that they have had in the past. They are now to fatty. My husband wanted seafood but couldn't find anything that appealed to him. He ordered the chicken and did not care for it.

Pros:

Cons:

poor menu changes less quality

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/26/2018

very nice place for a leisurely lunch...food and service very good

Pros:

good food and selecion

Reviewed by disneydiner Review Date: 06/03/2018

We have always had nice meals at Kona Cafe and our April lunch there was no exception. Our party of four ordered the Asian stir fry, Dashi noodle bowl with grouper, Verlasso salmon, soup of the day and sushi. We were all pleased with our choices and did some tasting of each others' dishes. So good! We ordered two Kona Cones for dessert and what a treat they were! Too cute-and yummy! Our waitress was great and took photos of our group-it had been a long time since we four had been together. Our bill was less painful with my niece's cast member discount. Meals are priced on the high side at Kona but it is vacation and it is Disney. Oh, and the lapu-lapus were great!

Pros:

different and delicious

Other topics in Polynesian Village