California Governor Gavin Newsom has been issuing stricter health and safety mandates to help combat the spread of COVID-19.
Newsom introduced the “Stay at Home” mandate that restricted certain regions to lowered retail capacity and eliminated dine-in services. The regions would go under the new restrictions if hospitals reached below 15% capacity. Just after, Southern California was put under the new mandate, which included the Disneyland Resort. Cases continued to climb and Orange County recorded an all-time high of reported illnesses in a single day.
California continues to break records as Deadline just reported that the entire state has hit the highest number of daily new cases that the United States has ever seen. Previously, Newsom stated that the new daily case number of 32,326 was slightly down from the all-time high of 35,468 cases. Now, California’s COVID-19 has reported 53,711 new cases over a 24 hour period this week.
Sometimes, a huge influx of cases is due to a backlog of unreported cases over the weekend. Los Angeles did report a backlog of 7,000 cases, but the remaining 14,000 cases still represented its highest one-day total.
Deadline estimates that the increase of cases will result in 6,500 hospitalizations in two weeks from one single day of new infections. Southern California’s ICU bed capacity reached an all-time low of 1.7% on Monday and fell to .5% by Tuesday.
Some believe that there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the new vaccine being shipped to hospitals all over the country. The vaccines will be prioritized in serving frontline healthcare workers and residents of long-term facilities first. Health mandates and restrictions will continue in the state of California for the time being. We’ll continue to update you on more related news in the future.
- Disneyland’s Vaccine Distribution Site Is Open! Here’s What It Looks Like.
- NEWS: Disneyland Provides Updates About Upcoming Vaccine Distribution Site
- NEWS: Disneyland Resort Will Host Mass Vaccination Site in Orange County
- Disney Reportedly in Talks of Moving Some California Divisions to Orlando
- NEWS: Southern California Has Extended Its Stay at Home Order
- Southern California Anticipates News of Potential Stay-At-Home Order Extension
- NEWS: California’s ICU Capacity Dropped to Zero Percent On Christmas Day
- NEWS: California’s Daily New COVID Numbers Down Nearly 40% Since the State Issued Its Stay-at-Home Order
- Disney VoluntEARS Partner With Power of One Foundation to Give Back to Anaheim Families!
- NEWS: Orange County Sees Another Day of Record-Setting Daily Cases in California
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!