Yesterday, the theme park reopening guidelines were released by the state of California. Under these guidelines, Disneyland Resort cannot reopen until Orange County reaches the Yellow “Minimal” tier, which requires the county to report less than 1 new case per 100,000 residents as well as a positive case rate of below 2%.
These tight restrictions could keep Disneyland closed for several more months, with the parks potentially not reopening until summer of next year, after a vaccine becomes available.
Erin Guerrero, executive director of the California Attractions and Parks Association (CAPA), said that the organization may seek legal action against California in response to these guidelines, according to CNBC. CAPA is the organization that represents California theme parks, including Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, and Knott’s Berry Farm.
The discussion of legal action follows a tumultuous back-and-forth between the theme park industry and the state of California. Governor Gavin Newsom noted that the state is not in a “hurry” to issue theme park guidelines or move ahead with theme parks reopening in a recent news conference. Disneyland and the theme park industry have stressed that they are leading with a health- and science-first framework.
The Disneyland President issued a statement yesterday in response to the state’s guidelines, saying that the prolonged closure could devastate the Anaheim and Southern California community. You can read his full statement below:
We will continue to monitor this story as it develops and will keep you up to date with the latest information!
Did you have 2020 travel plans to the Disneyland Resort that were impacted by the closures? Let us know in the comments!
- Another Dining Location Will Reopen in Downtown Disney Today!
- NEWS! Disneyland Grad Nite is Officially Canceled for 2021
- NEWS! Avengers Campus Merchandise is Coming SOON to Downtown Disney!
- The Walt Disney Company Has Been In A ‘New York State of Mind’ For Decades
- NEWS: California Governor Newsom Announces New Curfew For Various Counties
- PHOTOS: Avengers Campus in Disney California Adventure Park is Looking EPIC!
- PHOTOS: Something BIG Was Missing from Disneyland’s Buena Vista Street Today
- PHOTOS: This Iconic Disneyland Resort Statue Got a Glow Up!
- PHOTOS: We’re at the Reopening of Buena Vista Street at Disneyland — Here’s What It’s Like!
- PHOTOS! These Super Fuzzy Minnie Ears Have Finally Arrived at Downtown Disney!
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!