This morning, we shared the news that the state of California would be pausing the release of the theme park reopening guidance needed for parks like the Disneyland Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood to reopen.
Sources cite that theme park industry leaders saw an early draft of the guidelines this week and called on the governor to work more closely with business leaders in order to come up with more reasonable guidance.
Harry Sidhu, the Mayor of Anaheim, has released a statement on the city’s Twitter page this afternoon, commenting on the pausing of the release of these guidelines. It reads, “We need attainable guidelines that allow our theme parks and convention center to safely reopen soon to get people back to work and to restore our economy.” You can read his full statement below:
The Mayor stressed the importance that their major theme park, the Disneyland Resort, plays to their local economy. This sentiment was also made by the Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products Josh D’Amaro, who pointed out how critical a reopened Disneyland is to Anaheim and Orange County.
Mayor Sidhu noted that “time is of the essence,” and each day that goes by without agreed-upon theme park reopening guidelines will have a drastic impact on “working families, small businesses, and our city.” The Mayor concluded his remarks by reiterating an open invitation to Governor Newsom to “visit Anaheim and see the impact firsthand.”
We will continue to monitor the news coming out of the Disneyland Resort and California and will let you know when we know more!
Did you have 2020 travel plans to Disneyland that were impacted by the closures? Let us know in the comments.
Disneyland Resort News
- PHOTOS: Celebrate Disneyland with These New Starbucks Mugs and Ornaments!
- We Just Found TONS of New Masks at Downtown Disney in Disneyland!
- NEWS: Disneyland Prepares for Reopening By Installing More Than 23,000 Safety Measures to Its Parks and Resorts
- Disney Expands Inclusive-Apparel Line With New Adaptive Ears
- Catal’s Breakfast With Santa Is Back for 2020 at Downtown Disney — With a Few Changes
- Governor Newsom Discusses Why California Theme Parks Can’t Reopen Despite Reopenings Elsewhere
- NEWS: Disneyland Union Announces That 200 Cast Members Will Be Returning to Work Soon
- It’s Time to Haul Out the Holly! Here’s ALL the Holiday Merchandise Coming to the Disney Parks This Year!
- NEWS: Workers United Local 50 Provides Details on Cast Members Returning to Work in Disneyland
- Make a Reservation NOW to Pick Up These New Vinyl Figurines at an Exclusive Disneyland Shopping Event!