Hellllllllllo! It’s me, Molly! I am BACK with another Marvel movie review!
I am watching all of the Marvel movies for the FIRST time — and I am movin’ and groovin’ through these flicks!
Tonight’s movie: Captain America: The First Avenger! As always, I have NO idea what is about to happen other than a new Chris is in the building, and he’s a real patriot.
Let’s get to the film!
78 Thoughts I Had Watching Captain America: The First Avenger for the First Time
1. I thought the discovered artifact was going to be the shield but that would be a massive shield.
2. Oh THERE’S the shield.
3. Wait is that…. *checks IMDB* it IS Argus Filch!!
4. The emphasis on that skull + snake icon makes me think that’s important.
5. Big time Nazi vibes.
6. Wait…is that…. *checks IMDB again* it IS Elrond! Wow. My favorite fantasy realms all coming together.
7. ODIN! I know that guy! It now makes sense why they are in Norway.
8. Two observations as Elrond murdered Filch: 1. It seems like being human is NOT this guy’s ideal form and 2. They really emphasized the blood on his skull pin, which makes me think that’s important.
9. Um, I KNOW that is not what Chris Evans’ body looks like. HOW DID THEY DO THAT?!
10. Ok so I thought the snake skull was going to be replacing Nazis in this universe, but it seems like Nazis ALSO exist. So maybe the snake skull guys are like the super hero equivalent, but bad.
11. WAIT. WHEN I MET CAPTAIN AMERICA HE TOLD ME ABOUT A BAD GUY GROUP WHO HAD A SNAKE LOGO CALLED HYRDA. IS THIS THEM??? I bet this is them.
12. Poor baby Chris Evans. HOW are they going to explain how he goes from that body…to the one I know he has. And I repeat, HOW did they do this?
13. Is Bucky a person I should know?
14. HOWARD STARK!! I KNOW HIM TOO. Wow I do really love how these are all coming together.
15. Wait is that…. *checks IMDB* it IS Sky from Mamma Mia!! The fantasy realms colliding continues.
16. STANLEY TUCCI!!! It doesn’t stop!!
17. Aw, I kinda love Stanley Tucci. And Chris Evans’ attitude about bullying.
18. And THAT guy was in Jurassic World 2. He really is type cast as the little minion to the bad side huh?
19. I do not understand what that blue light did but apparently the bad guys are pleased with the results of their science experiment.
20. OOOOH A LADY SARGENT. DIGGING IT. *she punches that guy* DIGGING IT VERY MUCH.
21. Tommy Lee Jones too?! This has to stop. I keep shouting celebrity names at my TV and it sounds like I am playing a very long round of “Heads Up.”
22. Is he about to MULAN this sitch?
23. Nope but “Work Smarter, not Harder” was a very good solution.
24. It’s all a test Steve-o.
25. SCHMIDT. I knew that dude wasn’t 100% human.
26. But I also understand how lil’ Chris Evans is gonna become muscle-y Chris Evans now.
27. “I don’t have a procedure tomorrow.” – I stan Stan.
28. Something tells me I am not gonna like Schmidt’s real face when I finally see it.
29. VERY interesting and fun that Stark is involved.
30. Now THAT is Chris Evans. *slow clap*
31. What did that guy leave behind?!
33. NOT STAN!!!!!
34. Why do all the fatherly doctor types die?! (Remember Yinsen? Ugh, I’ll never get over it.)
35. Peggy is a nutso good shot.
36. I kinda love how Steve is super awkward and knocking stuff over, despite being really fast. Like a baby giraffe learning how to walk.
37. Oh the car door with the star represents his shield.
38. “Go get him, I can swim.” LOL that kid is my new fave.
39. Hydra. Confirmed.
40. Oof, Hydra wants to be WORSE than Hitler?!
41. I know I should focus on how Captain America is being exploited, but I really just like these gals’ dresses.
42. Peggy and Steve — they better end up together. MUCH improved couple from Thor and Jane.
43. 107th!! Bucky!! NO!!
44. Love this ragtag team of Peggy, Stark, and Steve.
45. “I’m a captain.” YES YOU ARE.
46. “I’ve knocked out Adolf Hitler over 200 times.” That one took me a moment. This movie has some VERY good one liners.
47. BUCKYYYYYYY!!!! “I thought you were smaller.” LOL
48. It’s face off time…and he looks like Lord Voldemort was dipped in Red Dye 40.
49. THEY LOOK LIKE THE CHEESY COMMERCIAL BUT IT’S REAL!! Why am I crying?
50. Stan Lee!!
51. OMG! Margaery Tyrell is in the building.
52. I very much love Bucky and Cap’s friendship.
53. Peggy in a fancy dress for the first time is giving me major Hermione at the Yule Ball vibes.
54. I don’t blame Margaery Tyrell…but I also 100% knew Peggy would walk in.
55. The Sass of Peggy!!!
56. Red Voldemort is mad they just burned down one of his horcruxes.
57. Ok Cap that was SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH.
58. BUCKY!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
59. I like this movie so much I don’t even care that the villain looks so stupid.
60. Speaking of stupid, I realize Hydra is trying to be worse than Hitler and the Nazis, but changing the hail move from one arm to two looks ridiculous and not at all intimidating.
61. I very much like Cap’s boomerang, rhythmic gymnastics tricks with the shield.
62. LOVE this ragtag group of pals swooping in. Thor and Cap have cornered the market on the strong squad game.
63. PEGGY!!!! He better kiss that dame at the end of this.
64. She kissed him!! Even better. Also LOL @ Tommy Lee Jones.
65. Major Poe Dameron vibes RN.
66. BYE BYE RED VOLDEMORT.
67. OMG — Cap. No. Don’t do it.
68. The photo is too much for my soul.
69. There are like 7 other movies with Captain America so I KNOW he survives (or returns) somehow and yet, I am CRYING.
70. I just realized the plane is what they found in present day at the beginning of the film.
71. Is that the same kid who fell in the water earlier!? *slow clap*
72. HE LIVES! But where is he?
73. He’s in the NOW!! whoa.
74. SAMMY L!!!!!!! I get excited every single time.
75. “I had a date.” PERFECT last line.
76. *skips credits*
77. Sammy L!!! Excited again.
78. Ok so this end credit scene is just a trailer for the Avengers. That said I am PUMPED — and forcing myself to go to bed instead of watching it because it’s 2AM and I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish Captain America.
I am not going to lie to you — I didn’t want to like Captain America. I thought it was going to be really overrated because so many people are obsessed with him. But…I get it now. It was SO great! The zip of Peggy and Cap was perfect, and I really loved his origin story.
I laughed, I cried, I didn’t even mind that the villain looked absolutely ridiculous. While I haven’t settled on who my favorite superhero is (unless Peggy Carter counts?!) this movie has definitely moved into the top spot.
Plus, the “some assembly required” Avengers commercial at the end got me seriously pumped to see all these characters together!
On a scale from 1 – 10, where 1 is a root canal and 10 is birthday cake, I award Captain America an 8!
Next up: THE AVENGERS!