Earlier today, we got a peek at the renovations going on at Port Canaveral for the Disney Cruise Line terminal, and now we’ve got even more cruising news!
During today’s earning’s call, Disney shared a number of updates on its financial status, its theme parks and other entertainment. But, it also shared some important insights into the current situation with Disney Cruise Line.
Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s no-sail order expired and new requirements were put in place which cruise companies must meet in order to sail again. During today’s earnings call, Bob Chapek, the current Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company, noted that the new CDC guidelines are “quite thorough” and “really entail some really high hurdles in terms of not only testing by the potential guests that we host on the ships but also a process that has to happen in order to certify our first sailings.”
In short, Chapek noted that the guidelines “will necessarily result in delays beyond what [Disney] had hoped in terms of getting [the] ships back in service.”
Chapek did say, however, that the best news is that they do see a light at the end of the tunnel. In fact, he noted that he thinks they “have an opportunity to create sort of a Disney bubble” on their cruise ships. Chapek also said that there is a strong demand for cruising, and that they’re seeing a strong demand in terms of bookings for the back half of fiscal year 2021 and all of 2022.
Additionally, during today’s earnings call, Disney announced that the first of their new ships — the Disney Wish — will be coming in the summer of 2022! The two other new ships will be finished in 2024 and 2025. This trio of cruise ships were originally scheduled to debut from 2021 through 2023, but there has been a delay in their construction.
Currently, all Disney Cruise Line departures through 2020 have been canceled. We’ll continue to provide updates as we learn more from Disney about their efforts to meet the CDC’s requirements to cruise again and more.
More Stories About Disney Cruise Line
- First Look: Cinderella Lobby Statue Revealed for the Disney Wish Cruise Ship!
- NEWS: Disney Cruise Line Releases Additional Itineraries for April and May 2022!
- NEWS: Disney Cruise Line Cancels All Sailings Through February 2021
- NEWS: Disney Cruise Line Extends Temporary Final Payment and Cancelation Fee Policy
- NEWS! Disney Cruise Line Extends Cancelations of Itineraries Through January 2021
- NEWS: CDC Moves Cruise Travel Into a New, Higher Risk Level 4 Category
- A Look Back at What Could Have Been: The S.S. Disney
- NEWS: Disney Announces Debut Dates For Its Three New Ships and Shares More Cruising Updates
- PHOTOS: See What the Renovated Disney Cruise Line Terminal in Port Canaveral Looks Like Now!
- NEWS! Disney Cruise Line Cancels All Departures Through 2020