At the time, no update was given on how long the delay might be. Today however, the CFO of Comcast, who owns NBCUniversal, commented on the current status of Epic Universe.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, construction on Epic Universe will not resume until the nation’s economy “begins to revive.”
The update came from Comcast Chief Financial Officer Mike Cavanagh, who, when asked about construction for Epic Universe, had this to say. “All things considered, it’s a big capital swing, so better to really march forward with that when we have just a bit more visibility on what’s going on with the economy post-COVID.”
Cavanagh followed up his remarks by stressing that, while the project is being delayed, it’s not being rethought. He said that, “The confidence is high. It’s a great project.”
The third gate for Universal Orlando was originally set for an opening in 2023. We will continue to update as we learn more about a new potential opening for the theme park.
Want to learn more about the Disney Parks closures?
- The Disney Parks Closures: Here's Everything We Know
- Here's Everything That Disney World is Refunding Due to the Temporary Closure
- Here's Everything That Disneyland is Refunding Due to the Temporary Closures
- Here's Everything That the Disney Cruise Line is Refunding Due to Suspended Itineraries
- Should I Cancel My Disney Trip? Taking a Closer Look at Our Most FAQ
- Flattening the Curve: Why Disney is Closing Everything
- All the Times That Disney World and Disneyland Have Closed Throughout History