The state of California just released the long-awaited theme park reopening guidelines, which places larger theme parks like Disneyland under very strict protocol under which they can reopen.
The Mayor of Anaheim, the city where Disneyland is located, has responded to these guidelines, expressing his disapproval.
Mayor Harry Sidhu released a statement on the city’s Twitter account, noting that while Disneyland will survive the closure, “too many Anaheim hotels, stores, and restaurants will not survive.”
Anaheim Mayor Harry Sidhu: statement on California's disappointing guidelines for reopening theme parks. pic.twitter.com/EN2yubYabZ
— City of Anaheim (@City_of_Anaheim) October 20, 2020
According to the state guidelines, larger theme parks with a capacity of over 15,000 cannot reopen until the county in which it resides moves to the least-restrictive Yellow, or “Minimal,” tier. Even then, the park must operate at 25% capacity when it initially reopens.
Many concerns have been raised that due to these guidelines, it will take much longer for larger theme parks like Disneyland to reopen, which has already been closed for more than seven months. The prolonged closure could wind up having drastic impacts on the bottom line for many of the surrounding businesses around the Disneyland Resort that earn a large portion of their revenue from tourists visiting the theme parks.
The conversation surrounding a theme park’s impact on the local economy has been ongoing in Orange County. Disney leaders have noted the resort’s importance to the city and county, and Mayor Sidhu has spoken out before on the impact a prolonged Disneyland closure would have on the surrounding area.
This is a developing story and we will continue to provide additional information regarding theme park reopening guidelines as we learn more.
Did you have 2020 travel plans to Disneyland that were impacted by the closures? Let us know in the comments.
Disneyland Resort News
- If You Need Us, We’ll Be Busy Using This NEW Disney Souvenir Every Day
- 31 Dates to AVOID Disneyland in 2024
- WARNING: These 13 (!!!) Disney Discounts End SOON
- A NEW Disney Ticket Discount Has Been Announced — Do YOU Qualify?
- Watch a NEW, Limited-Time Disney Park Show with Us!
- Man Escorted From Disneyland Ride After Stripping Naked
- First Look at Disney’s NEW Holiday Tiki Mug, EXCLUSIVELY at Trader Sam’s!
- 3 Top Secret Places in Disneyland
- ALERT! Reservations for a NEW Disney Restaurant Are OPEN NOW!
- NEWS: Pole Falls Over in Disneyland, Injuring Guests