Recipe Custard Kiwi Roll New Zealand Epcot
Yield: 6 Servings
3 cups milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 kiwis, peeled
1 tsp lemon juice
4 TB granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan.
2. Combine 1 cup of milk with the cornstarch and stir until it is dissolved. Beat the eggs into the milk, one at a time.
3. In a heavy saucepan, combine the remaining milk, sugar and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil, over medium heat, and whisk in the eggs. Stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and strain the custard into a small bowl. Cool and refrigerate until well chilled.
4. For the cake, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and pale in color. Fold the flour into the egg mixture, in three batches, adding the butter with the last batch.
5. Spread batter in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
6. For the Kiwi Sauce, combine 3 kiwis with the lemon juice and sugar and process in a blender until the fruit is pureed. Cut the fourth kiwi into 1/4-inch diced pieces and fold into the puree.
7. Spread the pastry cream onto the sponge sheet and roll it to form a log. Serve with the Kiwi Sauce.