Reviews of Boma Flavors of Africa Dinner - Jambo House

Buffet Style
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House

Dinner Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/boma/dinner

Reviewed by jannielane Review Date: 03/01/2018

I continue to enjoy eating at Boma, although as I get older, I'm not sure that I eat enough to justify the price. I tend to stick to the soups, salads and fish dishes, all of which are enjoyable. The night my husband and I ate there, seating was extremely slow (the beginning of December) and the staff was having a hard time keeping up the little messes along the buffet line. There were lots of little kids serving themselves and leaving glops of food on the serving stations. Our table server was very nice and attentive. Servers at the buffet were pleasant, if swamped. The selection of food seems a bit smaller than at our last visit, but there is still plenty of variety.

Pros:

Excellent buffet

Cons:

Not quite what it used to be

Reviewed by Donald_13 Review Date: 02/04/2018

We came here expecting a good culinary experience.

Found out it was the local favorite buffet and I was trying to figure out why?

The wait time in the buffet line was around 5 minutes and the selection was good from nut encrusted salmon, mash potatoes, sautéed vegetables, carved meats etc.

The locals bragged about trying the Fufu but to me ( A Chef of 19 years) it was a sweet potato purée that taste like baby food.

The Deserts weren't impressive at all, small selections of cup cakes, zebra domes, coffee tarts and cherry cobbler.

The only thing that was delicious was my drink, the African Rum Runner.

It was impressive to see that everything on the buffet was healthy and nothing deep fried, but it wasn't impressive enough to come back.

Pros:

Great staff, Decent food

Cons:

Long wait time, not much for desersts

Reviewed by jeconk Review Date: 01/07/2018

Boma is an experience restaurant. A place to go to experience different foods. I am no the overly adventurous type when it comes to trying new foods and don't like spicy foods but I had no problem finding plenty to eat at Boma. Since it is a buffet, I was able to take small samples of various foods on my plate to try. If I didn't like it, not much is wasted, but if I did, I could go back for more.

The children's buffet is very traditional American which takes care of satisfying picky child eaters (and some adults...lol) and the main buffet has plenty of traditional dishes (with African flare) to satisfy adults. There are so many choices in all different areas that you can't go wrong.

The line for main entrees was long most of the time that we were there but most of the other action stations (soups, salads, desserts, children's buffet, sides) were not usually crowded and you could just walk up to those if you wanted to skip the main entrees. Our waiter was ok and cleared our plates quickly and kept our drinks full.

It is a quite expensive buffet ($50 a person), but after all, it is Disney and their buffets tend to be expensive.

Another benefit of visiting Boma is that you get to see Animal Kingdom Lodge, a very pretty lodge with decks you can walk out on and possibly see animals roaming.

Please note that if you are riding the Disney Shuttle to Animal Kingdom Lodge, you want to get off at "Jambo House" and not "Kidani Village." We were talking to a couple after dinner who had gotten off at the wrong stop....lol.

Pros:

Can sample different foods, plenty on children's buffet to keep them happy; Get to see Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Cons:

Lines can be long for some stations. Very expensive

Reviewed by annat856 Review Date: 11/20/2017

We ate dinner here the first week of september. It was crowded and we waited a while before our party of 6 was seated. They no longer have the chef come out for dietary restricted guests but have a chart they give you that shows what you can have. My DD missed the personal touch of speaking to the chef but enjoyed bringing her chart up to the buffet to see what she can get. This was our first dinner
we usually get breakfast. I tried most of the soups. My fav was the Chicken curry soup! Hubby loved the gumbo. The carved meat was great and same with the ribs. The roasted salmon was also good. The zebra domes were ok to me but kids loved them. The guava panna cotta great and the coffee tart was incredible! This is more expensive than breakfast but we're glad that we splurged we had a great meal.

Pros:

Animal kingdom lodge is such a beautiful resort and we love Boma

Cons:

expensive

Reviewed by maddox4 Review Date: 11/15/2017

I have wanted to eat here for at least the last 5 years and I finally made it in September. We usually try to book at least one sit down reservation meal every trip. Very busy of course but were seated within about 5 minutes of our reservation. It was just my husband and I so they seated us at a table for two---a very tiny table for two! Waitress was friendly and very good at her job. Stood in line for the food but it moved quickly. My husband is not particularly adventurous but he found plenty to eat that he liked. I, on the other hand, will try anything once! Everything I had was good but the soups (at least 6) were the winners for me, especially the seafood one. I know everyone raves about the zebra domes but being one of those crazy people that can’t even stand the smell of coffee, I passed, but the bread pudding was delicious. Expensive meal…$100 for us both with tip and drink AND using our Disney Visa for 10% off. Did we eat $100 bucks worth???…probably not, but I can check this one off my list. Good enough to come here again, but there are a lot of other Disney eats I want to try too.

Pros:

Soups were delicious

Cons:

pricey and crowded

Reviewed by allec999 Review Date: 07/07/2017

Perhaps the best buffet I've ever experienced. Food was wonderful, the soups alone could have made a nice meal. Choices were diverse. I had read a ton about the zebra domes for dessert, but wasn't really impressed with them. Thankfully, there were plenty of other choices that were delicious. Highly recommend.

Pros:

Food was amazing

Cons:

lines sometimes got to be long

Reviewed by coachq Review Date: 03/31/2017

Best buffet on Disney Property. There is food for everyone to enjoy. I am a vegan and the chef took me around and showed me every thing that I can eat. He asked me if the food on the buffet suffices, otherwise he would cook me something up. There was tons of food for me and for the others in my party. We were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary and since I was vegan they gave us a little bottle of Champagne. We always eat here when we visit Disney. BEST FOOD ON PROPERTY.

Pros:

Variety food for everyone

Cons:

NONE

Reviewed by Fantabulously Cherry Review Date: 02/10/2017

This has always been one of my favorite restaurants and definitely my favorite buffet on Disney property (and I'm not a buffet person). Our trip in December did not disappoint! They have a great selection and there is not a bad tasting dish in the line.

Pros:

The best buffet on property!

Reviewed by ChallengerHK1 Review Date: 01/23/2017

The food was good. That being said, it wasn't great. Furthermore, I detected very little by way of exotic flavors. It was basically a nice Disney buffet. My opinion, Jiko is no more expensive and much better food.

Pros:

OK to good food

Cons:

Not at all what I was expecting

Reviewed by AJ Potts Review Date: 12/22/2016

We went to Boma on 12/15/16 for dinner. Before dinner we toured the Animal Kingdom Lodge and took some photos from the Savanna viewing areas. The Christmas tree and decorations were stunning and we took plenty of photos in the lobby. This was my favorite Christmas tree the entire week. We had about an hour until our ADR so we went to Victoria Falls Lounge. I had the Cape Collection Wine Flight and my husband tried the two African beers. Our teenager had a lemonade and was welcome to join us. There were no small children in the lounge, just my son and couple of sleeping babies. The Lounge was very relaxing and we could see Boma below. It was a great way to unwind after a day on our feet in Animal Kingdom. We were seated at Boma immediately and our server arrived quickly. She was friendly and attentive even though we could see she had a plenty of tables. The food was delicious. My favorites were the black olive hummus, the salmon and of course the Zebra Domes. We liked that there was a good mix of more exotic dishes with some familiar flavors. Our only complaint and it was minor was that there was occasionally a line for the hot foods on the buffet. I would go to Boma again and I would recommend it.

Pros:

attentive and friendly server and delicious food

Cons:

very busy with occasional long lines for buffet

Other topics in Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo and Kidani)