Reviews of Boma Flavors of Africa Dinner - Jambo House

Buffet Style
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House

Dinner Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/boma/dinner

Reviewed by ChallengerHK1 Review Date: 01/23/2017

The food was good. That being said, it wasn't great. Furthermore, I detected very little by way of exotic flavors. It was basically a nice Disney buffet. My opinion, Jiko is no more expensive and much better food.

Pros:

OK to good food

Cons:

Not at all what I was expecting

Reviewed by DisneyDana Review Date: 06/30/2016

I have given this restaurant several chances just because I love the atmosphere, but in all honesty I have never had a good meal here and definitely not worth the price. I'm pretty adventurous, in fact Indian is one of my favorites, and love a good buffet where you can find your favorites and go back for more of the things you love. but for me, this just doesn't happen here. I never can find anything that I want to try more than once. Nothing on the buffet is THAT good except for maybe some of the soups. However, I just can't justify $60 worth of soup. Even the much touted zebra domes are nowhere near worth the hype that they get. I mean they are good, but I can't figure out why people go on and on about them as if they are the best thing on the planet. They're good. I would leave it at that. At Boma I always have that scary, "I'm not sure what I'm eating" feeling that you never want to have. I try to remind myself that this is Disney and nothing is going to be too far out there, but the descriptions on the foods are very vague. I'm adventurous as far as food combinations but I'm not one to stray too far from chicken, beef or pork. I don't do gamey stuff or lamb etc. and the combinations just don't sound appealing at all. Nothing about watermelon rind salad sounds fabulous IMO. Just a little too out there for me and I don't want to pay a fortune for a carving station like you'd find at Golden Corral. If they had just one or two dishes that were to die for I might have a different opinion, but as it stands, unless you want to try bizarre foods and things you're not likely to run into ever again.

Pros:

Atmosphere is great, beautiful hotel worth visiting

Cons:

bizarre foods

Reviewed by jluck Review Date: 10/04/2014

Visited end of September 2014.
I really wanted to like this place. We came after a full day at Animal Kingdom and had been told by the dining reservation lady that we could use the time until our 7pm res. to explore the resort. We walked out, saw the pool, found an "overlook" and saw giraffes in the very far distance, looked at flamingos, found a little playground that we used (not sure if we were allowed or not) then went back to the lobby to wait. And wait.
Finally time for our res. so we went down. The restuarant was PACKED. The buffet lines are so poorly planned. You get in line for meats and when you reach the end of those stations, you can't just merge over to side dishes because that is a completly separate line and if you do merge, you will be cutting in line. So this means Multiple trips to the buffet just to get to all the stations.
The choices were not great. I know we were going to experience international cuisine, but I expected plenty of American style choices as well. There really wasn't much except a large roast beef. The ribs were coated in an extremely spicy paste, the chicken was marinated in spices that while good, were not for anyone looking for American flavors. About the only foods for picky/non-adventurous eaters was pasta and sauce. So, if you have a child over the age of 9 who just wants plain food, you get to pay $40 for them to eat a plate of pasta.

Even for those of the party who wanted to explore the different foods and flavors, it was difficult. The signs marking the food were not up to date. You go up and get something and it was yummy so you want more, and when you return, the sign is still there but the dish is totally different.

I was very disappointed in the whole experience and to pay well over $200 for a meal that was not enjoyable is really unfortunate.

Pros:

some interesting foods

Cons:

incredibly crowded, not worth the price

Reviewed by David Carrano Review Date: 09/20/2013

We had the dinner buffet at Boma on September 13th, 2013. We were staying at the AKL so it was convenient. We have eaten at Boma before; however, this time around we found it to be very noisy and unorganized. Although it was busy, we did get our table rather quickly. Our party consisted of 6 adults, 4 on the dining plan, two not. I tried to explain that to our waitress when we sat down but she seemed confused and said she would take care of the details later. We used the wrist bands all week, so we knew what to expect. To be truthful, she never did take care of the details, at the end, we got billed for the full amount as well as an 18% gratuity charge. Believe me; the service was not worth an 18% gratuity. We finally did get the bill straightened out. Overall, the food was just mediocre, not bad, but nothing to write home about. More than likely we will not go back. Maybe the breakfast buffet is better?

Pros:

Nice theme, convenient if staying at AKL

Cons:

Noisy, unorganized, low quality food, poor wait staff

Reviewed by milesmom17 Review Date: 03/14/2013

First time dining here, and we booked it based on reviews from family. I am definitely not a picky eater and I do enjoy trying new things, but this was a little far out for even my tastes. One major thing I think they need to work on it describing what the different foods are, and contain. I was leery of a few dishes that I didn't know the ingredients. My 4 year old refused to eat anything, and we didn't get charged for his meal. Probably won't be back, even the desserts were disappointing.

Pros:

great service

Cons:

Food, size of restuarant

Reviewed by Bubbe415 Review Date: 06/19/2019

we are not too adventurous but we come here almost every trip. there's something for everyone. one of our party is allergic to garlic and they always make her a great steak. We do try a lot of the foods but not all! have found few things we cant stand and havent seen those in a while so i cant say what they are. there's a wide range of food.

Pros:

variety. service. interesting things. american foods. you can taste a lot! not too noisy even!

Cons:

the buffet is not very spread out so around the meats and salads can get crowded.

Reviewed by jannielane Review Date: 05/07/2019

We continue to enjoy Boma because you can choose a different meal no matter how many times you visit. I tend to stick to salads, soups and seafood. Other members of our group of three seniors also tried meats, fufu, breads and rice. It seems that the selection of dishes is slowly being reduced, as the price rises, but Boma is still a good value for theme park dining. Our latest visit was marred by overly tired children (we were there after 8:00 pm) wandering and whining, and by rude people barging into buffet lines when there were obvious lines (as at the carving station).

Pros:

Good selections; good service

Cons:

Can be crowded and noisy

Reviewed by Dee519 Review Date: 04/21/2019

this is by far an excellent buffet to go to. the choices are fantastic - so many new items to try. My husband has an onion allergy. the chef came out and walked him around the food telling him what did NOT have onions and then asked him what items other than those he might like to have - then he/she would go in the back and prepare a beautiful and delicious dish fit for a king - onion free. Such great service all around there and the food and ambience is fabulous. This is a must go to place for us. Love the Jungle Juice too

Pros:

Food and service and atmosphere is fantastic and the price is reasonable

Cons:

Because it's in a resort that's so removed it may be a challenge for some to get to who do not have a car.

Reviewed by annat856 Review Date: 12/05/2018

We went here last week for dinner. This is a good buffet and a pretty good selection for the adventurous eater. My favorite soup is the Mulligatawny, so good! I also like the fufu and mash pototoes were good as well as a pasta salad. The desserts just were not as good this time. I actually preferred the ones at Hollywood and Vine. Nice waitress and kept up with our plates and refills as well as asking if I wanted coffee with dessert. The place was hectic! I prefer breakfast and will try to do that next time.

Pros:

Nice selection of entrees and sides, great soup

Cons:

The price has gone way up!

Reviewed by Crow323 Review Date: 11/08/2018

soups were good, one of the better buffets I went to this trip. meat was better than other places.

Pros:

selection of food

Cons:

the salad bar wasnt that great

Other topics in Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo and Kidani)