The holidays are a busy time of year, especially when it comes to travel. With increased demand at airports around the world, you might expect to see some delays and even cancelations from time to time.
However, with the recent rise in COVID-19 cases due to the Omicron variant, those cancelations are becoming more abundant, with thousands of flights impacted this weekend.
According to the New York Times, more than 3,000 flights have been cancelled globally on December 24th. Delta Airlines, who has canceled a total of 135 flights as of this writing, has cited “a combination of issues, including but not limited to, potential inclement weather in some areas and the impact of the Omicron variant.”
United Airlines noted that the Omicron variant has had a “direct impact on our flight crews and the people who run our operation,” while the article cites that the Omicron variant as the main cause for these latest cancelations. The variant currently accounts for 70% of all new COVID-19 cases in America.
If you are heading to the airport today or tomorrow for your holiday travels, double-check with your airline for the latest flight status.
Update: ClickOrlando.com has since reported that more than 2,000 flights were “scrapped” on Sunday in the United States, including almost 50 flights in to and out of Orlando International Airport.
Parking was also very busy at the airport. In fact, Orlando International Airport has warned that parking is limited, and they’re encouraging travelers to carpool or get a ride to the airport rather than park there. MCO has also recommended that travelers arrive about 3 hours prior to their flight’s boarding time.
We’ll continue to look for more travel information. Be sure to follow along as we continue to monitor the latest updates!
Are you traveling by plane this holiday season? Let us know in the comments!
More of the Latest News
- What You Can Do to Help After Hurricane Ian
- Why CEO Bob Chapek Wants Disney to Avoid “the M-Word”
- Disney Cruise Line Changes Early Booking Dates For Hawaii Cruises
- Where in the World #758
- Human Rights Campaign Accepts Donation From Disney Now That the Company Has “Taken Real Action”
- 6 Amazon Items to Entertain Yourself in Disney World Lines
- Disney World Closes, a Figment Movie, and More News You Missed
- The Surprisingly Affordable REAL Castles You Can Rent
- FREE Coffee? Say No More, Disney.
- How Disney’s Hilton Head Resort Will Be Impacted By Hurricane Ian
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!