Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Disneyland
UPDATE MARCH 7, 2019: Because construction is ahead of schedule, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open earlier than anticipated. The opening dates were revealed at the annual shareholders meeting of the Walt Disney Company. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open May 31 in Disneyland. Click here for more details.
At the D23 Expo on August 15, 2015, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that Star Wars-themed lands would be built in both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
Only a few details were revealed:
— Guests will be transported to a new Star Wars planet.
— The lands will have two signature attractions, including the ability to take control of the Millennium Falcon on a secret mission, and a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.
— At 14 acres each, this will be Disney’s largest single-themed land expansion.
The press release is HERE.
We will be updating this page with additional information on the Disneyland project, such as scheduling, press releases, etc., as it becomes available.
12/25/18: Imagineers shared new scenes from both of the attractions in Galaxy’s Edge.
12/8/18: Disneyland released a new behind-the-scenes photo of Galaxy’s Edge construction.
11/17/18: The names of the two attractions were revealed: Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Two “teaser trailers” and a few other details were also made public.
10/1/18: New details on the Millennium Falcon attraction were released.
8/31/18: Oga’s Cantina will be the name of the local “watering hole” in Galaxy’s Edge.
5/27/18: During “Star Wars: Galactic Nights”, new information was announced. The village on the planet Batuu is called Black Spire Outpost, named for the petrified spires of the once towering ancient trees that surround it.
5/22/18: Scott Trowbridge, Portfolio Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering, announced on the Disney Parks Blog today that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open in summer 2019 at Disneyland Resort and in late fall 2019 at Walt Disney World Resort, putting a more definitive time frame on the new lands. He also shared a sneak peek at these immersive lands in the video below:
12/16/17: At the Dec. 16, 2017, “Star Wars: Galactic Nights” special event, Imagineers and the team from Lucasfilm shared additional details about the ongoing construction of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge:
A new photo of the interior of the Millennium Falcon, which will be used in one of the new land’s attractions.
Doug Chiang from Lucasfilm revealed that a fleet of full-size X-wing starfighters has been built.
Imagineer Chris Beatty said he drew inspiration from the exotic markets of Istanbul and Marrakech for the marketplace in the Galaxy’s Edge village, where guests can explore a collection of shops and merchant stalls. Chris shared an example of one overseen by a Toydarian, one of the creatures first encountered on Tatooine in the film Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, who sells toys. Inside, you’ll be able to discover toys straight out of the Star Wars galaxy. Exclusive to this outpost, all these offerings look hand-crafted by local artisans.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open in 2019, first at the Disneyland Resort and later in the year at the Walt Disney World Resort.
- The lands will feature two major attractions putting guests in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance.
- One attraction will make guests feel they are in a hangar bay on a Star Destroyer.
- In the second attraction guests will have the opportunity to fly the Millennium Falcon on a critical mission. How well they perform could earn them extra galactic credits or put them on a bounty hunter’s list.
- There will be many familiar faces including BB-8, Chewbacca, Kylo Ren, and members of the First Order. Rex, the pilot from the original Star Tours attraction, has found a new job as a DJ in the cantina.
- The cantina will offer galactic specialties like blue milk.
4/15/17: Additional details from Star Wars and Disney Parks Panel Discussion at Star Wars Celebration in Orlando.
8/4/16: Rivers of America Area Reopening Summer 2017 – All Rivers of America attractions are scheduled to return, including Fantasmic!, Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, and Pirate’s Lair. The Disneyland Railroad will also be back in operation.
7/11/16: Disney released this image of the new land as well as a few pieces of information. (Click on the image for a full-size version.)
- Big Thunder Trail will be one of the entry points
- This area represents a never-before-seen planet in the Star Wars galaxy.
- The Millennium Falcon is visible and marks the location of the new attraction where “guests will get the opportunity to pilot the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.”
- The tip of Tom Sawyer Island and the railroad tracks are also visible. If you look at the original Rivers of America waterfront image below, you’ll see some of the same waterfalls in the new image.
4/14/16: The official groundbreaking took place at Disneyland and Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
3/3/16: Groundbreaking in April
At the 2016 Disney Shareholders meeing in Chicago, Bob Iger announced that the groundbreaking for the new Star Wars Lands in both California and Florida will take place in April. He also said the original plans for the expansion have been “tweaked.”
2/21/16: Additional Details
During the “Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60” special, Harrison Ford shared new details on the Star Wars-themed lands coming to Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
— Guests will be able to pilot the Millennium Falcon, including firing the laser cannons.
— A second attraction immerses guests in a battle between the Resistance and the First Order.
— Experience authentic locales: meeting droids and aliens, wandering a street market, trying local foods – even venturing into the local cantina.
— Dine at an up-scale galactic restaurant.
1/11/16: Attraction Closures
The following attractions closed 1/11/16, and will re-open in 2017:
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
The following areas are closed permanently:
Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree
Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo
Big Thunder Ranch BBQ
1/12/16: In this press release, Disney revealed the following concept art of what the Rivers of America waterfront might look like when it re-opens.