Most Recent Reviews

Review of Sci-Fi Breakfast

Reviewed by elle84uga Review Date: 12/24/2015

For a table service breakfast at Walt Disney World, this is a pretty good option. There aren't as many various choices in Hollywood Studios to dine, and we liked that we could get a table service option for +$10 (avg) than doing a quick service option without having to do a character breakfast (Hollywood & Vine). We've been twice so far, and each entree we've had (Puff Pastry, Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Shrimp & Grits, and French Toast) were all standard fare for what we've had for Disney breakfast options; although, I must say, the cheesy custard on the roasted tomato was a surprising delight.

On our second visit, I almost couldn't make the commitment to try something different than what I had the first time (Shrimp & Grits again or the Puff Pastry) so our server brought me both so I didn't have to choose, lol!

Just note that during this trial run, if you have a reservation at 10:30, you will definitely be held to that as there is no "15-minute grace period" for this time slot. The kitchen begins to prepare for the lunch menu at this time, and there is a chance that you will not get the chance to experience the breakfast menu.

All in all, we left satisfied (stuffed, even), and our service has always been great at Sci Fi Dine-In Theater to include the breakfast trial. No complaints here!

Pros:

Food, service, environment

Review of Liberty Inn -- CLOSED

Reviewed by KCKAS Review Date: 12/20/2015

My son ate here twice since he wouldn't eat our food from Japan or France. Both times he ate a hotdog, fries and rocky road brownie. He was in heaven. I would have preferred a hotdog cart instead but couldn't find one in area we were in. He will be back.

Pros:

rocky road brownie

Review of Katsura Grill - Japan

Reviewed by KCKAS Review Date: 12/20/2015

We ate the chicken teriyaki. It was good. On par with chicken teriyaki from the mall, but we like that so we were happy. We would eat here again, but not a must do.

Pros:

chicken teriyaki combo

Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort Concierge Level

Reviewed by EleanorofAquitaine Review Date: 12/27/2015

We visited the Poly on Dec. 13-15 for our annual WDW Christmas visit and were blown away. We have stayed at the Polynesian many times, but this was the first time we have stayed at the Tonga building, the concierge level suites in the building right next door to the Great Ceremonial House. We stayed in a Princess Suite.

Wow, that was amazing. The view is spectacular. We watched the fireworks from our patio each evening and it was truly magical. The rooms were gorgeously appointed and there was plenty of room in the two bedrooms and sitting area for the four adults in our party. We could have brought more people and still been comfortable.

The contrast between the concierge level here and in the main concierge building, Hawaii, was striking. There are only something like seven or eight suites in the building, so it was QUIET and tranquil. The location was so convenient to everything--- from the pool bar (yum!) to the monorail to the boats across to the MK to Kona. Heavenly!

There were no hot snacks, but the lounge was seldom busy and we got lots of cold snacks, just like at the Hawaii building and had access to that main lounge in Hawaii if we had wanted to go get some hot foods at any point. Why would we? As others have said, there you have to battle noisy, rude children and guests strolling in to snatch up all the snacks in sight to cart bac to their rooms. At the Tonga house, there was none of that. We had great fruit platters and delicious cheese, the wine and punch was out where it was easily accessible in the evening, and the morning spread was plentiful and yummy. We toasted bagels each morning and slathered them with cream cheese or peanut butter and there were croissants, fruit, and cereal in abundance. Why walk over for hot oatmeal?

Because of the smaller number of guests, the fridge was always stocked with bottled water, soft drinks, and beer, and we could help ourselves all day. They couldn't make it that accessible at Hawaii or the kids we have encountered on previous visits would pick them clean. And since we had TWO mini-fridges in our suite, which housekeeping kept stocked as well, we were never far from a cool beverage.

This experience has spoiled me. thank you, Polynesian, for a magical visit.

Pros:

great view, beautiful rooms, convenience

Cons:

cost

Review of Hurricane Hanna's Grill

Reviewed by DianeinNM Review Date: 12/26/2015

I got the seafood roll twice: the first time (weekend) it was really good but the second time (weekday) it was more vegetables than food and the dressing was more bland.

The drink cups had RFID chips in the bottom of the cup to make sure people don't get extra refills. The guy said "you get four refills in two hours, but we didn't realize that was machine-enforced. We didn't want extra refills, as we were leaving for home, but that kind of expense to make sure we didn't get any little extra appalled us.

Pros:

BBQ sandwich, seafood roll

Cons:

RFID on drinks

Review of Disney Transportation Boat, Monorail, Bus, & Skyliner

Reviewed by DianeinNM Review Date: 12/26/2015

The best part of Disney transportation is that I don't have to drive at all.

Bus transport is slow. It will arrive when it arrives and if there is space you will get a ride. Otherwise, repeat. Sometimes fellow travelers are pleasant and sweeten the ride, but no one sweetens the wait.

Boat transport is similar. Previously, we've loved the commentary and interactivity on the boats to the resorts, but found on this trip that commentary on the boats was limited to the required safety announcements. No Disney trivia. No tour guide pointers. Nothing.

Pros:

no driving needed

Cons:

dull, slow, unreliable

Review of Picabu Buffeteria

Reviewed by DianeinNM Review Date: 12/26/2015

This is the grocery/diner in the basement. I got a cup of (bad) coffee, a fruit cup, and a box/bowl of Rice Krispies for $16 (we already had milk in the room).

The following day we also ate breakfast here. I got scrambled eggs and it was ok. My daughter liked her waffle.

Pros:

comparative price

Cons:

food, service

Review of 1900 Park Fare Character Dinner

Reviewed by DianeinNM Review Date: 12/26/2015

This was our best experience on our recent WDW trip. When we arrived I had forgotten it was a buffet, but that was ok. The food was very good. We saw Cinderella only from a distance, but that was no problem. My daughter isn't into princesses anyway. Prince Charming stopped by, but had no interaction at all other than asking if we wanted a photo. He seemed not to have any character--just drifted off after one question.

The stepsisters (especially Anastasia) were a hoot, as was the stepmom. Anastasia asked my daughter "it's your birthday? What did you bring me?" then when my daughter proffered a straw wrapper she shrieked (across the dining room), "Drusella! I got a present! And you didn't!"

They really made our evening, and made a pleasant end to a less-than-stellar WDW vacation.

Pros:

good food, stepsisters were hilarious

Cons:

price

Review of Wild Africa Trek - Animal Kingdom

Reviewed by weheartdisney Review Date: 12/28/2015

My husband and I took the Wild Africa Trek tour on November 17, 2015. We loved everything about this tour--the length, the animal viewing opportunities, and the learning experience. We took the last tour of the day. The price was the discounted amount offered by Disney, and we added a DVC discount to bring the cost down even more.

My husband is very afraid of heights when there is too much open space around him. (Frame of reference: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Expedition Everest are okay but Space Mountain, Soarin', and ferris wheels are not.) I showed him pictures in advance of the bridge crossings and assured him that if he was uncomfortable with them that there was an alternate route. He crossed those bridges like a pro! He even stopped to look around. He said he felt safe the entire time.

The snack, as they called it, was delicious. I felt there was quite a bit of food and would have actually called it lunch. We were disappointed to hear that we could not purchase that exact chicken dish anywhere else on property.

The time spent viewing the animals was excellent. It was nice to pull off to the side of the road and be able to take in the surrounding areas. We had a group of 13 and had plenty of room to move around the truck. The pictures the guides took came out great and were available online to download the next day.

The only negative, and I'm not even taking off on the rating for this, is when you start the tour you are walking through the regular park crowds to get to the trek entrance.

We would do this tour again in the future since we know that no two trips on the safari are the same.

Pros:

Animal viewing, snack

Review of Skipper Canteen

Reviewed by TeacherGrandma Review Date: 12/29/2015

I stopped by the restaurant twenty minutes after they opened for the first day on Dec.13. I was seated 45 minutes later, and was very excited to be lucky enough to eating here the very first day! The menu does seem to have a lot of exotic spices, but many are not the "hot" kind. The servers are well-versed in all the dishes, and are able to make recommendations based on your preferences. Very picky eaters will probably have a difficult time finding something they will like.
I ordered the Schweitzer Slush to drink, with tiny green bubbles of squirting apple juice on top - fun. There was a flavorful Ethiopian bread of which I had a few bites. I also ordered the steak with yucca fries (???) and avocado, all very tasty. For dessert, I had Kungaloosh, which was recommended by my server, also a chocolate lover. The desserts are quite small, which they do warn you about. This was a bit disappointing, since I usually choose my restaurants by the quality of their desserts.
They were only seating guests at about half of the available tables during the soft opening, as cast members get used to going live, with real customers.
Part of the back story, is that the first large room was the mess hall for all the Jungle Cruise skippers, another private secret room with a butterfly collection, and the final room was the family's dining room with parrot chandeliers, that has been opened up to guests. The cast members are a lot of fun, and stay in character. It almost seems to be as much an attraction, as a dining spot. It is great to have another table service option in the Magic Kingdom!

Pros:

Exciting new restaurant in the Magic Kingdom!

Cons:

Heavily spiced menu items
1 2,453 2,454 2,455 2,456 2,457 2,468