Do you constantly find yourself looking for your favorite pal all over the parks?
What if we told you there was a way to bring the fun home? Here’s how to keep the search going while enjoying a snack!
Whether it’s up high on the ceiling of the Grand Floridian or within the carpet patterns at the resorts, Hidden Mickeys are all over Disney World and sometimes in the toughest places to see or even get to. So, we did some searching ourselves and found this recipe we think you’ll really enjoy — it’s Hidden Mickey Cupcakes!
Here’s what you’re going to need:
- 2 boxes of white cake mix (or your own, favorite white cake recipe)
- all the necessary ingredients on the box (water, eggs, oil)
- 5-10 drops of blue food coloring
For the buttercream:
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- A pinch of salt
- 5-10 drops of blue food coloring
For toppings (optional but encouraged):
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 5-10 drops of pink or magenta for coloring
- Blue sprinkles
If you have an allergy to any dairy, swap out the milk for your preferred non-dairy choice (almond, oat, or soy milk).
Make Base for Cake Balls
- Mix the contents of 1 box cake mix, adding water, oil, and eggs as directed on the box.
- Once combined, add blue food coloring and mix until your desired color is reached.
- Line a 9×13 baking tray with parchment paper, then pour batter into the tray, smoothing the surface until even. Bake as directed on the box, about 30 mins at 325°.
- Once done, allow to cool before removing from the tray and peeling the parchment paper off the bottom. Set aside while making the buttercream.
Make the buttercream
- In a large mixing bowl, add the softened butter and powdered sugar, and begin whisking with an electric mixer on low.
- Once combined, add the vanilla, blue food coloring, milk, and a pinch of salt, then mix on high until smooth and fluffy.
- Spoon half of the frosting into a piping bag and set it aside for decorating later.
Make the cake balls
- Crumble the blue sheet cake and add to the bowl with the remaining frosting. Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Roll the cake and frosting mixture into 12 balls, about 1-inch in diameter, and 24 smaller balls, about 1/2-inch in diameter. These will make up the hidden Mickey shape inside each cupcake.
Make the cupcakes
- Mix the contents of the remaining box cake mix, adding water, oil, and eggs as directed on the box. Prepare a cupcake tin with cupcake liners
- Spoon about a tablespoon of batter into each liner. Place one of the larger cake balls in the center of each liner.
- Spoon another tablespoon of batter into each liner, over the first cake ball. Place two of the smaller cake balls into each liner, each one balancing between the first cake ball and the side of the liner, arranged so that they form a straight line. Remember which way you’ve lined up the cake balls so that you can cut them correctly later.
- Spoon one more tablespoon of batter into each liner, so that all three cake balls are covered in batter.
- Bake as directed on the box, about 15-20 minutes at 325°. Allow to cool before decorating.
Decorate the cupcakes!
- While the cupcakes cool, create the pink chocolate ganache topping. Place the heavy cream in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, then add in the white chocolate chips. Stir with a spatula until the chocolate chips are fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the pink food coloring and mix until the desired color is reached. Spoon into a piping bag with a small tip.
- Once cupcakes are cool, pipe a swirl of blue buttercream on top. Drizzle the pink chocolate ganache on top, and add sprinkles.
- When ready to serve, slice each cupcake along the line you created with the cake balls, so that the cut divides all three and reveals the hidden Mickey.
Once you’re done decorating, it’s time to start the hidden Mickey search (aka it’s time to dig in)! We hope you enjoyed making this recipe — stay tuned to AllEars for more!
Check out more Disney recipes here!
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!
Would you make these hidden Mickey cupcakes? Let us know in the comments!