The Disneyland Resort closed in March due to the global health crisis. Disney and state officials have been urging California Governor Gavin Newsom to reopen the theme parks and he has yet to deliver.
While the theme park remains closed, Disney has been cutting costs and refocusing their financial efforts. Recently, Chairman of Disney Parks and Experiences Josh D’Amaro announced Disney will layoff 28,000 employees to compensate for the loss. Later, Disney Executives announced their primary focus will be on streaming entertainment.
The closures have many financial analysts speculating on the loss that Disney will take in the upcoming years. Some are saying that it will take until 2024 for Disney to reattain 2019’s earnings. A finance researcher from MoffettNathanson LLC stated that Disney “could swing from a $4.9 billion pretax profit last year to a $1.5 billion loss in 2020.”
In a recent update from Orange County Register, Michael Nathanson, founding partner of MoffettNathanson, noted that Disneyland “has lost an estimated $2.2 billion in revenue during the 216-day closure.” While research by Cal State Fullerton found that Disneyland contributes $8.5 billion annually to the Southern California economy. Based on this study, Disneyland could be costing Southern California as much as $5 billion during the closure.
MoffettNathanson analysts also predicted that all Disney theme parks could potentially face a combined $21 billion revenue loss through 2022 due to the ongoing closures. While Disneyland remains closed, Disney will most likely continue to make financial decisions that will affect the park’s future.
- NEWS: Star Wars Trading Post is Getting a New Location in Disneyland’s Downtown Disney!
- Disneyland Will Be Ending Annual Passholder Program
- Disneyland’s Vaccine Distribution Site Is Open! Here’s What It Looks Like.
- Disney Has Further Confirmed THESE Projects for 2021 — But Left Out These 4
- NEWS: Disneyland Provides Updates About Upcoming Vaccine Distribution Site
- The Rise of Disney’s Trackless Ride Systems
- NEWS: Disneyland Resort Will Host Mass Vaccination Site in Orange County
- PHOTO! Big Thunder Mountain Main Attraction Ears Have Been Stocked in Disneyland!
- NEWS: Sprinkles is Currently Closed in Disneyland’s Downtown Disney
- Legendary Disneyland Photographer Renie Bardeau Has Passed at the Age of 86
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!