Duke Caboom is a character featured in Toy Story 4. He’s described as “Canada’s Greatest Daredevil,” but struggles to perform his own stunts throughout the film.
The popularity of the character garnered the attention of K&K Promotions, Inc., a brand that owns the intellection property rights of ’70s stuntman Evel Knievel. This week, they filed a lawsuit against Disney, for Duke Caboom’s alleged likeness to Knievel.
According to TMZ, K&K claims they own the rights to the late stuntman’s likeness, persona, and brand. They believe Disney didn’t get the proper permission to represent Knievel in their film.
They state that the resemblances are noticeable in Duke Caboom’s costumes, motorcycle, and the fact that the toy was made in the 70s. To K&K, Disney was treading the line of copyright laws and damaging effects on Knievel’s reputation.
In a recent press release from Business Wire, K&K is “seeking actual, compensatory, statutory and punitive damages, as well as profits from the film.” A day after the news broke, a Disney spokesperson issued a statement to Fox Business in response to the lawsuit. The spokesperson stated, “the claims are without merit and we intend to defend against them vigorously in court.”
We’ll continue to keep you updated on any further developments.
- NEWS: The Walt Disney Family Museum Will Be Opening Again to the Public Next Week
- NEWS: France Announces It Will Be Going on Lockdown This Week, With Likely Impacts for Disneyland Paris
- Disney Expands Inclusive-Apparel Line With New Adaptive Ears
- Standby Passes Are Back in Disneyland Paris — Here’s How It Works
- You’ve Got to See This Totally Eye-Catching ‘Star Wars’ Recipe!
- Rep Your Hogwarts House With This NEW ‘Harry Potter’ Collection!
- NEWS: CDC Issues High Level Cruise Warning as “No Sail Order” Set to Expire Soon
- NEWS: ESPN Has Canceled Its Upcoming Basketball Events That Were Set to Take Place in Disney World
- PHOTOS: Slinky Dog Dash Adds Additional Plexiglass Partitions to Its Ride Queue in Disney’s Hollywood Studios!
- Where in the World #660
What do you think of the Disney lawsuit? Let us know in the comments.
Join the AllEars.net Newsletter to stay on top of ALL the breaking Disney News! You'll also get access to AllEars tips, reviews, trivia, and MORE! Click here to Subscribe!