Reviews of Sanaa Lunch/Dinner - Kidani Village

View Menus at Sanaa Dining Location

Cuisines: African

Cuisines: Other/Ethnic
Sanaa is located in Kidani Village at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Complete information about Sanaa including menus and photos: http://allears.net/dining/location/sanaa

Read prices, menu items, and more about Sanaa

Services: Table Service , Quick Service

Reviewed by AndyE Review Date: 09/21/2013

Dined here on 20th September, can't fault this place as it is our third visit, we both ordered the lamb shank , this was cooked to perfection then followed by the chocolate mousse and Banana Sundae. The waitress couldn't be more helpful. A big thumbs up in our opinion.

Pros:

Service, Food and Everything we can think of

Cons:

A little (just a little) cool

Reviewed by lenette830 Review Date: 06/03/2013

My family of five dined here on May 30th and we had a excellent experience. The hostess told us that it would be 90 min for a window seat but we only waited about 15 min and got a amazing table.

Our server, Christopher, was so nice and knowledgable--(he knew all the animals by name!)He also had lots of recommendations and really knew the in and outs of the menu.

The food was outstanding. We had the naan service to start and all of the spreads we tried were great.

Next up for entrees we had the slow cooked meals. I tried the Durban Shrimp which I thought was flavorful but VERY spicy and the Fish with Goan Curry which was good and had a smoky flavor. Now, I have to say my ONLY disappointment for the whole meal was that the green curry shrimp is no longer on the menu. I had that back in January and it was literally one of the best dishes I've ever had. I don't know why they took it off the menu and hope they bring it back.

Nonetheless, my husband had the butter chicken and bison masala and both were great. My daughter had two vegetarian options that she loved and my younger kids both got kids meals , the tandoori chicken pot pie and the meaty loaf. I tasted both and they were really good and I was so happy to see a restaurant offering something other than chicken strips and pizza!

We finally had dessert. We shared an order of the chocolate mousse and a dessert trio with all chia cream (sooo goood). It was wonderful!!!

My only complaint(besides the missing green curry shrimp) was that the after dinner teas are somewhat overpriced but we considered it paying for the ambiance as we got to stay and enjoy the view and animals longer. We love this place and can't wait to go back!!!

Pros:

Food, service, view of the animals

Cons:

No more Green Curry Shrimp :(

Reviewed by 1283alex Review Date: 05/23/2013

Food was good, but portions were too small! We were still hungry after shortly after we left. Only saw one animal as we were dining. Nicely themed & decorated, but would not go back again.

Pros:

tastefully theme decor

Cons:

small portions

Reviewed by konslerg Review Date: 04/09/2013

We've dined at Boma and Jiko and love both. Sanaa is every bit as good! My only caution is that, if you don't like spicy/hot food, ask your server to point you in a milder direction. I had the durban spice shrimp and it was almost too spicy hot for me and I love heat in my food. It was delicious, but one degree more heat and it would have been too much. So, steer clear of durban spice if you don't like heat. Husband had tandoori lamb and it was excellent too. For dessert we split a banana kulfi (sort of ice cream) and I could have eaten about three all by myself it was so good. I have only one complaint (or I would have rated it a 10), there is a bread service on the menu, 5 different naan breads and 5 sauces for $10. I assumed (wrongly) that it you didn't order the bread service, you'd at least get a roll, small piece of naan or some sort of bread with the meal. Nope, no bread.

Pros:

The food is outstanding; so is the view of the animals

Cons:

Believe them if they say something is spicy! No bread unless you order the $10 bread service.

Reviewed by lizzie1974 Review Date: 02/08/2013

This is the place to dine if you like your food flavorful. We had the bread service, the appetizer sampler, and the duo with green curry shrimp & the lamb.

The downside was that the waiter was not particularly good. When you get the bread service, you get to choose 5 of the 10 sauces to accompany them. One of the sauces we received was not what I ordered, but I didn't realize it until we were done. The waiter did not identify them for us when he brought them out! Had he done so, I would have let him know that one was incorrect. I mean, yes, I ordered them, but I don't eat this everyday so I didn't know which ones were which.

I was a little bummed that the wait staff were not African or Indian, despite the theme of the restaurant. The ladies at the hostess station were African. That is the initial impression of the restaurant so you kind of expect it to continue on through the dinner.

The food was outstanding though. It's worth the effort to get there at least once.

Pros:

food

Cons:

service

Reviewed by cholmberg Review Date: 01/21/2013

I loved this place. It was so nice to be able to get food with some spice to it. We were on the DDP, Husband had the kefta appetizer, which was pretty good. I had the bread service, which was good. . but felt it did not live up to the hype I'd read in the reviews. The onion kulcha was nearly black and tasted awful. The papadum was spicy and crisp and delicious though. I had duo of spicy durban chicken and lamb vindaloo with basmati rice. All were good, husband had the steak which he enjoyed. The kids were accommodated. MIL had the fish in curry broth which she liked. Our server was Tracy and she was great. I had the dessert trio and absolutely loved the tropical fruit kulfi.

Pros:

food, service, atmosphere

Reviewed by Momrph11 Review Date: 01/09/2013

Just had dinner here tonight and had a wonderful evening. Our waiter, Jim, took the time to describe some of the dishes ( he didn't know that we were New Yorkers who eat out often and enjoy Indian food) and even brought us a little of the lamb vindaloo to try when my husband commented that vindaloos were usually quite hot so we could see if our palate could handle it ( we do usually avoid the vindaloos as TOO hot). It was hot but manageable for our palates so we got the slow cooked lamb vindaloo with the butter chicken and the short ribs with the Durban shrimp and split all 4 between us. When we mentioned that the bread service of 5 breads was just too much bread, he offered us the lunch service of 3 with 3 sauces instead. The Durban shrimp was even hotter than the lamb, but we loved it anyway and I asked for recipes for all 4 which they did not have, but Jim brought me what recipes he could find. Then he had Chef Tricia come out to talk with us to describe how they make the short ribs! What a delightful person! We talked for several minutes not only about the short ribs but about how she snuck oatmeal into other dishes at home to increase her own consumption of it and how they were going to tweak the Sanaa menu this spring! After she was called away to speak to another table, the manager Stephanie came over to ask if things were ok! All in all a truly wonderful and memorable meal! We are looking forward to going back with our children this summer.

Pros:

The food, the staff

Cons:

Other topics in Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo and Kidani)