Reviews of MagicBand (wristband)

Worn on the wrist, an all-in-one device that connects all the choices you made online. Use it to buy food, enter your Disney hotel room, purchase merchandise and allows you to access FastPass+, connects you to PhotoPass and more.

The program is being rolled out over time.

Reviewed by MCMod Review Date: 04/17/2015

Originally posted by LFellows

I have issues with FP+, but I actually liked the Magic Bands. We found them to be very convenient. The kids could come and go from the room without having to track us down to get the key. We never had to carry cash as everything can be charged to the magic band. The Magic Band works very well with the FP+ readers in the parks. You can access your room, entry to parks, and use fastpasses with just a tap of the band. Purchases require a tap of the band and a 4-digit passcode.

Just a couple of issues we encountered;
1) If I had a dollar for every time I looked at the band thinking it was a watch, I could have paid for the trip. Maybe a future upgrade could include a cheap digital watch in the band?

2) We got really used to not carrying money - which became a problem. If you want to get a snack and use it as your snack in your meal plan - no problem. If you want to get something cheaper, like a bottle of water, the default is for that to be charged as a snack - not a good value, and a real pain if the cahier has to back the purchase out and charge it like a credit card on the band! Better to carry a little cash for small purchases where you don't want to use a meal plan snack credit. Same goes for tips - these aren't included in the meal plan.

Not sure what the procedure is if you lose the thing. We saw one on the Autopia track so it must happen all of the time. They get knocked off pretty easy if you are digging around in a bag.

Pros:

handy, convenient, somewhat stylish

Cons:

kept looking at it like it was a watch

Reviewed by bellebookworm9 Review Date: 04/10/2015

I now have a full set of all seven color bands, which is totally unnecessary. They're reusable for up to three years, so I think Disney needs to figure out a way to actually let them be reused and stop sending new ones!

We got the text that our room was ready while on Magical Express, so we could skip the check in desk. That was nice, and our bands worked to open the door right away. We did have to visit the desk later to add a second credit card to my traveling partner's band, separate from mine.

I've used MagicBands on four trips now, so I'm pretty experienced with getting the Mickey head to turn green when paying for things, but one of my bands was particularly finnicky about that. It often took me several tries to line it up juuuust right-and only with that band. Also, depending how you wear it and on which wrist, it can be difficult to open your room door without either just taking it off or pulling a muscle in your wrist!

It is very nice to be able to not have go digging for a Key to the World card, tickets, credit cards, Fastpasses, etc. Now if only they could figure out a way for a) a person's ID to be embedded (for drinking at Epcot, for example) and b) passholders to attach a credit card without staying at a resort.

Pros:

Easy to use, nice to have everything literally at your fingertips

Cons:

Occasionally finnicky bands

Reviewed by mcmouse Review Date: 04/01/2015

We love the magic bands. They are easy, convenient, and worked very well for us the entire trip. We used them to get on the Magical Express, to purchase food and items from the shops, and to get into our resort rooms without having to go through the normal check in at the main desk. We swam in them and never had any problems. Entry into the parks was a snap. This was a great idea.

Pros:

easy

Reviewed by becca3205 Review Date: 03/24/2015

I love the magicband. it was so convenient and easy to use. I only carried a small bag for other items did not have to go into it for any purchases or room key very nice

Pros:

all in one

Reviewed by Elaine Hammond Review Date: 03/19/2015

At first we did not think we were going to like the Magic Bands, but as the kinks are getting worked out we find that they are very convenient indeed. It eliminates the need to carry credit cards and/or a lot of cash.
They worked great with the Fast Pass feature.
They do tend to get rather uncomfortable in the warmer weather and the little "add ons" they have for the bands make it tighter.

Pros:

Very conveinent to use

Cons:

Sometimes doesn't work at first

Reviewed by CinderellaGirl Review Date: 01/26/2015

LOVE the magic bands! You can choose what color you want, and they are delivered to your house in a really cool Incredibles box! It's so convenient having everything in the band, as opposed to having to fiddle around with room key cards, tickets, and fastpasses. Everything is right there on your wrist!

Pros:

Convenience, water proof

Cons:

None!

Reviewed by bmdisney Review Date: 12/18/2014

We had no glitches on hotel doors or park entry or fast passes. I assumed park entry for crowds would be faster with new system. If anything, it was a little slower. The bands work fine...but don't get me started on the new Fast Pass Plus system :).

Pros:

No glitches for us

Cons:

park entry no faster

Reviewed by John Review Date: 12/07/2014

When we checked in they asked us to make sure we could access our room with the Magic Bands. They all worked fine. Then we went to the Magic Kingdom and my grandson's would not allow him access to the park. We were told we had to go to Guest Relations, but because it was raining and I did not want to stand out in the rain we went back to the hotel to get in straight. When we got there it took over an hour to finally get it cleared up and then my grandson's "Tragic Band" was the only one that could access the room. Luckily we had Key to the World Cards which would also work to access the room.
Also My son and daughter-in-law could not use their Bands to charge meals or other items.

I wish Disney would not have messed with a system that was pretty good before.

Pros:

Cons:

Don't work all the time

Reviewed by Tigger82 Review Date: 09/25/2014

If I weren't blind, I'm sure my rating would be much different, or cast members more helpful. Being unable to see the mickey head, thank goodness my mother was there because almost all the cast members just stood there uselessly, most not even saying a word. If I were alone, I'd have to align the Mickey heads by trial and error I guess.

Pros:

None for a blind person

Cons:

Couldn't see the Mickey head

Reviewed by annebill Review Date: 09/24/2014

This was our first experience with the wristbands and it was totally positive. We custom ordered our bands and had them delivered prior to leaving on the trip. From the moment of check in to our last use, it all went ticket-boo:) And we put it to the test for everything!!!.....room key, meals, fast passes, charging privileges. How wonderful to have it all right there and never have to find the card and then put it away again.

Out of the whole week, there was only one wee glitch, where the band wouldn't read for a park entrance one day....but there are cast members on the spot to assist and it was taken care of immediately.

Loved it!!!!!!!

Pros:

no more fishing for cards!!!

Cons:

—
1 2 3 4 5 6 11

Other topics in My Disney Experience (MDE) (Magic Bands)