Reviews of Disney Genie+ — WDW

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/18/2023

I’ve been coming to WDW for 30 years, this is by far the worst experience we have had. Genie+ was a necessary purchase in order to have a chance to ride any popular ride without a 90min wait (minimum). Even with genie plus, we rode probably half as many rides as we are normally able to do with 4x more time spent on the phone as well as constant bouncing across the park. Genie+ has taken the magic out of it and has significantly worsened the experience. Previous fast pass systems were much better. We will not be back for a while unless some changes are made.

Pros:

Almost like fastpass.

Cons:

Limited fast passes per ride Only one at a time 7am free-for-all

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/08/2023

We have been going to Disney World every year since 1978. We found the Genie Plus system to be inefficient, inconvenient and a complete waste of money. Previously, when we were allowed to make the fast passes 60 days out, we were able to plan the times, i.e. 2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon. Here, first come first serve at 7:00 a.m. meant that even when logged in exactly at 7:00, there were attractions that were not accepting reservations until 3:00 p.m. The claim is that Genie was to help facilitate one's day. By marking the attractions we wished to see, the impression was that Genie Plus would help reserve them and it would logically map out the day. The exact opposite was true. We ended up bouncing from 1 end of the park to the other in order to use a lightning lane. While at EPCOT, we only used the lightning lane once. We tried to use the Genie Plus system (plus an additional $9/person) to see Ratatouille, but by 10:30 it was already filled for the day. To quote the person standing beside me from Soarin' "This isn't the first time I wasted $15." Unfortunately for me, it was a waste of $180 plus tax. As for the "helpful hints", being told that Slinky Dog was a good ride, although the wait was 85 minutes was a joke. The previous My Experience worked just fine. No longer the happiest place on earth - just the greediest.

Pros:

Cons:

inefficient, expensive, worthless

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/04/2023

I’m a long term season pass holder and purchased the Genie + service and it was a waste of money. I logged in at 7:00 and could not get into the queue. The rides offered for lightning lanes were all rides that the wait times are low and that we have ridden many times. Don’t waist you time and money!

Pros:

Non

Cons:

The entire app. Useless

Reviewed by Rani Review Date: 01/03/2023

Worth every penny. Busy week and we were able to get on every popular ride with minimal to no wait times. Using rope drop meant that we were able to ride Pandora multiple times. We did not have issues with the app not working. It was so simple to use and we could start grabbing times for rides while we were on the Skyliner in the morning. Would use this for anyone who doesn't get the parks very often or if this is a one-time or annual trip. Get familiar with it before you go so you know what to expect. You can try it for one day and see if you like it. You don't need to buy it for the entire trip. We did buy it for all 6 days and got a slight discount because we booked it when we booked our trip, but I'm not sure if this is still an option.

Pros:

Makes the most of your trip. You will get on popular rides with minimal to no wait. Time is money and this was worth every penny.

Cons:

Expensive.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/02/2023

Since there are so many negative review I wanted to give some positives. When my family has visited we have been able to ride everything we wanted to. The key is doing a little bit of research before you go. If you just show up and pay the extra it is not going to do you any good. Search on YouTube; all ears has tons of helpful videos. If you know how it works you'll be able to get on several popular rides and have free time instead of waiting in lines all day.

Pros:

make a plan and ride nearly everything you want

Cons:

can be glitchy, extra expense

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 12/31/2022

Party of 7 went to disney over christmas. Throughout our vacation we used genie + and individual lightning lane at all parks. Although it comes with a greater expense, it did work for us. My party was happy and used LL for most rides. Minimal waits. The draw back to this service comes to the person who “runs” the service for the group. We chose to have once person book for the whole group so everyone was on the rides together. As this person, I personally spent most of my time researching and organizing so there was some sort of flow to it all. I was the one who spent the whole day attached to my phone, not the rest of my party. The smiles on their faces made it worth the trouble, but it did take a bit of the manic away from my experience.

Pros:

If organized and researched well, there will be less time waiting in lines

Cons:

At least one person has to spend the whole day attached to their phone, constantly checking and rechecking for the best time and sched

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 12/29/2022

Absolutely worthless. Whomever pitched and executed genie+ should be fired immediately. It ruined the experience and demonstrated how classless and cash hungry Disney has become. Bought genie for 2 days, used it on 2 mediocre rides because the premier rides are gone in the 1st 10 minutes. You can't see this until you pay money. The app bottlenecks thousands of people to wake up early and fight the servers at 7am. Tried to book star wars 3 times and the app crashed each time. Boarding went from 11 to 9pm within 2 minutes of trying. The one ride we booked broke down, which gives you a voucher for any alternate ride except for the ones you actually want to ride. It forces you to waste it on something you wouldn't use it for in the 1st place. We wasted the 1st half of the day on this garbage after traveling across the country to be here. Lastly, their are rides they want you to pay extra money on top of the genie+ cost. What?!

Pros:

The name change is accurate- no longer fast pass.

Cons:

App breaks, hard to navigate, have to buy every day, after 1 minute of app opening-the best rides are gone, only 1 ride at a time, expensive, excludes best rides, doesn't do what it says it does.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 11/28/2022

Save your money they lie about its effectiveness, the fine print tels you everything. They know it's garbage may and becomes meaning is always.

Pros:

Nun

Cons:

Best rides are not available seconday popular rides are blocked out after noon and 3rd ranked rides you get 3 a day . Choose of days and save yourself the money not worth it.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 11/19/2022

Up until the pandemic, I went to Disney World once a year. My whole life. First as a kid, then as a twenty something, and now as a Mom. Big fan. After this past trip, I have decided that we are going to take a few years off. It was just too hard. Logging in at 7 am, not getting the times we hoped for, having to make decisions for a group on the fly, then spending all day on my phone. No thanks. I liked being able to plan ahead and then just go and enjoy the park, and that is gone. It felt like we had to work too hard for our fun this time.

Pros:

Shorter lines (which is very helpful with little ones, especially)

Cons:

7 am stress, being on phone all day, not able to plan schedule ahead

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 11/17/2022

Genie plus as it is is near unusable and has been made into a chore you pay for. I will not pay for it again unless they make some major changes. I can understand paying for the fast pass system they had in place before but this has not been worth the money. Just go during down times and do standby lanes or don’t go. It’s not only making me reconsider LL but Disney experience as a whole.

I’m very disheartened. If you plan it out well and order it for the day and start planning at 7 you can make it work but not well. It has taken the experience from being something you can plan ahead and not have to deal with changes in the park to solely handling changes in the park. It’s stressful enough to be in. The park and make changes as they were but now you are asking me to make last minute decisions with tons of people trying to accommodate for a whole family and not getting to spend much time with them cause I’m busy working through your stupid system.

Also you would think dynamic pricing would include cheaper rates later in the day but that is by no means the case.

Pros:

Some lightning lanes are faster than standby.

Cons:

Not all rides are available. Pricing does not change for later parts of the day. You spend most of your time figuring it out or planning on the park rather than being with family. Fancy rides are additional cost on top of genie plus. I have many more but am too irritated thinking about it to add them.

Other topics in Disney World Genie