Happy Lunar New Year!
In celebration of the Year of the Ox, we saw some of the festivities from Shanghai Disney Resort today. Now, we’re sharing another way to celebrate — a recipe!
Disney Parks Blog has shared a special recipe for Lo Hei, a “prosperity toss salad.” The ingredients of this salad represent things like good fortune, youth, and strong relationships for the year ahead. Curious about how to make it? Let’s dive right in!
Lo Hei with Sesame and Chili-Soy Sauces from Hong Kong Disneyland — Serves 4
- 1 medium (200 grams) seedless cucumber, julienne (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 large (220 grams) carrots, julienne (1 cup)
- 1 small (60 grams) Japanese turnip, julienne (2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup (40 grams) thinly sliced seaweed of assorted colors
- 6 ounces (160 grams) prawn with shell
- 8 ounces (240 grams) ramen noodles
- 12 ounces (360 grams) sliced smoked salmon
- 5 ounces (160 grams) drained canned abalone (16 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 grams) garlic paste
- 1 small (4 grams) red chili pepper, julienne
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) sweet soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) roasted bottled sesame salad dressing
- 1 cup (60 grams) small rice crackers
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) fried shallots
- Wash julienned cucumber, carrot, turnip, and seaweed in cold water. Drain and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add prawn and cook for 5 minutes, until they turn pink and curl. Remove with slotted spoon and place in cold water. Drain, then remove shells. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add ramen noodles and cook 5 minutes, until soft. Drain and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Fold sliced smoked salmon into rings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Rinse canned abalone in cold water. Drain and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Heat vegetable oil in small skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot. Add garlic paste and red chili pepper and sauté 5 minutes, until peppers are soft. Add soy sauce and remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature before serving
- Pour chili-soy sauce and roasted sesame dressing in separate small bowls.
- Place shredded vegetables and noodles on the bottom of large plate. Top with prawn, smoked salmon, and abalone.
- Sprinkle with rice crackers and fried shallots. Drizzle with chili-soy sauce and roasted sesame salad dressing and toss to mix
And there you have it — a special meal for Lunar New Year! Check back with us for more Disney-inspired recipes!
Will you be trying out this recipe? Tell us in the comments!