Recipes Moqueca (Shrimp Stew with Coconut Milk) Brazil
Serves 4 to 6
36 large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
6 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, divided
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 medium yellow onions, chopped, divided
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons butter or palm oil
3-4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
1. Place shrimp in wide shallow dish. Stir together 2 tablespoons cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt in a small bowl and pour over shrimp. Turn shrimp to coat and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
2.Purée half of the chopped onions and the coconut milk in a blender; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add remaining chopped onions and cook until translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and 2 tablespoons cilantro, stirring occasionally until tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk purée and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in butter or palm oil.
5. Add shrimp, pouring any remaining marinade in the skillet. Stir in remaining cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
6. To serve, spoon over hot rice.