Reviews of runDisney Events

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 11/23/2022

2022 Disney Run was my first and last. I ran the 5k fun run on Friday and the 10k on Sat. The 3am wake-up was tough, but I knew that going in. Lots and lots of participants and, although I’m a veteran runner, I lined up at 5am w my daughter in the back to mostly walk. Crossing the START line at 6 am was … not what I’d expected.

So anyway, the courses fairly sucked, imo. I guess that ~ 20% was “in the parks” and the rest was parking lot, no-scenic periphery roads, service alleys behind buildings, and some highways. Better run courses here in S MS.

The Sunday nite afterparty… well, I didn’t go… 10 pm to 1 am. The race person described it “The park stays open for you and some rides are operating, some characters are there, and some souvenir stores and food places are open to buy food.”
The race flyer info mentioned a dance w a dj playing music.” Maybe someone can tell me it was better than it sounded?
The opportunity to spend more money?

Not feeling the love here at all.
EW, Gulfport, MS

Pros:

Ok LS Tshirts

Cons:

“Wine and Dine” logo on 5k shirt. Haven’t figured that one out.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 11/04/2022

My boyfriend and I were excited to race for the first time this year! Unfortunately, we had issues getting his waiver signed but finally got it straightened out. Then, he had a mandatory, unexpected work obligation come up that took him out of the state on the only day we could go to the Expo to pick-up the bib and shirt. We were told that if he couldn't be there in person that he couldn't race nor could we get our money back or at least try to race in a different event in the future. It was very disappointing to say the least as there was no empathy or understanding. I didn't want to race by myself, so I went to go pick up my shirt so I could try to redeem the experience for myself. Never receiving any communication or instructions on what to do (since it's my first time), I went to get my shirt but they said I couldn't pick it up until I picked up my bib, so I had to go to a completely different part of the Wide World of Sports to get my bib then return to get my shirt. If there had been better and more communication, especially for first time runners, and also something that could have been done to help with my boyfriend's last minute trip (i.e. let me FaceTime him so I could pick up his items or have a copy of his ID with me), that would have gone a long way. Now we've paid for an event we didn't get to enjoy with a negative impression on RunDisney. I completely understand the terms we agreed upon when signing up and paying for the race, but things do happen. Work, sickness, death, and other unexpected events do arise, and I'd like to think there could be instances were special considerations and/or arrangements can be made. I hope everyone enjoyed the event and that there can be improvements made in the future to improve the experience!

Pros:

Disney themes

Cons:

Lack of communication, no understanding/empathy

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/09/2022

Ran the WDW 2022 full marathon this weekend. I am glad this was my 2nd Marathon because it would of been a difficult first full marathon . Half of the time the path was way too small. If everyone was running maybe this would of been better but too many people were walking or they would run and just jump out in front of you to go get photos. This is the first race ever I have been pushed by a runner. I have ran many races and I’m used to walkers or slow runners staying to the right but instead they are just everywhere and take up the small paths. Also I get people have to spit and I’m used to that but this is the first time I actually been spit on directly. Instead of spiting to the side, this runner spit into the crowd and I legit saw it fly in the air I tried to avoid it but I landed on top of my shoe. Not only is that gross it is not very Covid friendly. I recommend for the experience! But I’m not sure I’ll ever run a long distance race at Disney again. Wanted to do the dopey next year but maybe I’ll stick to virtual…

Pros:

Medals and the fact that you run through Disney world!

Cons:

Too crowded, to many walkers, a lot of people have very poor race etiquette!

Reviewed by EricV Review Date: 11/10/2021

We just returned from the Wine and Dine 10k and half marathon. Having fun the half a few years ago, my wife and I were really looking forward to running these events. Some of the issues we had had to do with weather - which was out of anybody's control - but the fact that we were HARASSED throughout the entire race by RunDisney workers and "balloon ladies" who were screaming at us to keep pace. These races are advertised as "fun runs" and walkers are encouraged to participate. I don't know many people who walk at a 16 minute mile pace. My wife also got injured during the 10k so she didn't get to do the half. When we asked for her medals, they refused. I did send an email to the event planners and within 10 minutes I received an email basically telling me "We are sorry you're disappointed, but you're not getting the medals". Learning experience for sure.

Pros:

Medals and shirts were very nice - as advertised.

Cons:

Pretty much everyone connected to the event. Lack of interest on RunDisney's part to resolve the situation.

Reviewed by csfranklin Review Date: 04/24/2019

We LOVED trying our first races last fall (Nov 2018). My teens and I did the 5k through Animal Kingdom, my son and hubby did the 10k through Epcot, and my hubby also did the half. We loved the courses, the character picture stops, and the post-race snack boxes! The bib pick up was a little confusing, but we eventually figured out where to go. We stayed at POFQ, and would definitely recommend staying there because it is small and you can all fit on a bus to head over to the race easily. The 3 am wake up for the race is the absolute worst part if you did a park the day before and want to do one the day of the race, too. A nap and a big meal is a must on race day!

Pros:

Fun courses Rare character pics

Cons:

3 am wake up

Reviewed by Stitch1623 Review Date: 04/17/2019

We have done to date every rundisney race except the princess weekend, even ones they no longer do. Disney knows how to do a race and make it fun. I am a runner but not everyone in my group is and even for those that are not, they make you feel like you are. They make even the kids feel like they have accomplished something amazing and that is what it is all about. Yes it is crowded, so you cannot go in expected a PR, but you will have fun and make memories and help a great cause in the process.

Pros:

You’re running in Disney! And you celebrate in Disney.

Cons:

Crowds

Reviewed by survivoramy Review Date: 09/30/2018

We volunteer with runDisney to work the races and they are amazing! They are pricey so I don't think I would enter one (especially a short one) with the mission of trying for a personal best. I think it should be more about the entire experience. However, a runner should be trained and ready. Many fall behind in the marathon and once you are too far back you are scooped up and can not complete the race. Volunteers are stationed everywhere for water, powerade, gel food, cheer squad, and so much more. We love seeing how creative the running costumes can be. Especially when big groups all theme together -it is fabulous. We worked the race where the man competed in the REWALK suit and it was an amazing experience. There are also hand cyclist that compete - so runDisney events are not just for the able bodied.

Pros:

The ambiance, the pictures, well run, great medals

Cons:

Waking up super early, crowds, if you are running a 5K trying to "win" you really miss out on a lot of the experience cause you don't take it all in.

Reviewed by Will Review Date: 09/27/2018

I have done 3 runDisney half marathons. Disney pulls out all the bells and whistles. They have constant energy, music, Gatorade, and more to keep you going til the end. My buddy was injured and they had such great medical staff to help him recover. Great motivation for someone who is a veteran or wants to start running.

Pros:

Lots of stops to replenish energy. Beautiful medalsl. Lots of stops for pictures and memories

Cons:

Have to pay for parking. Does not include Disney Park tickets, not even a discount.

Reviewed by R Foreman Review Date: 09/26/2018

These races are so fun, no matter which one you choose, if you are prepared.
It may be Disney, but you need to train for any race length you do. Be prepared by reading race reviews and the race info emails and online race book. (On RunDisney site). Know race etiquette, this is for everyones’ safety. (Seriously) For any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to email them (email address is on the RunDisney site).
Understand that there will be thousands of other runners on the course. In my first Princess 10k, we were so packed, we literally could only shuffle. Accept this as part of the race. (Your attitude will dictate how fun/disastrous your experience is).These are not the best races for serious runners trying to qualify for another race. However, you might want to run others races beforehand so that you can get an earlier start corral.
For the 5ks, once you enter the park, take your time to enjoy the fact that you are in the Disney parks, before or at sunrise. They are not timed, so take lots of pics, enjoy the characters, just stay ahead of the balloon ladies (ladies with balloons who are the last of the runners, in every race).
If you’re new to running or want to see if these are the races for you as an experienced runner, go for the 5k first just to experience the excitement and chaos, before you spend the money on a more serious distance.
Wear a costume (read the rules so you won’t have an issue)
Accept there are ridiculous crowds.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions, give/take encouragement and compliments, have a blast.
Have lots of patience. You’re here for the race and all it includes, don’t rush (with so many people attending, getting frustrated and rude doesn’t make it pleasant for anyone.)
If you plan to visit the parks, go after the races. If you get injured or foot blisters or too tired and can’t run the race, you don’t get a refund. Run fresh and then expend what energy you have left in the parks.
Check the weather to be prepared, (one year was 26* the next was 76*). Excess clothing can be tossed (off the side of the road) to be donated later.
Thank the volunteers (they are awesome), maybe even consider volunteering for races you don’t run. It is rewarding.
Disney races just might become addictive or a family tradition (yeah, let’s go with that)

Pros:

Disney parks, at sunrise. New medal designs each race. Dedicated transportation. Awesome volunteers!

Cons:

Sooo many people Price

Reviewed by Tinkerbelllove23 Review Date: 04/07/2014

I ran my first RunDisney event last February which was the Princess Half marathon, also my first half marathon. It was an absolutley unbeleivable experiance! Even with waking up at 2:15am on race day to get ready, it was worth every second! My boyfriend and I drove to the start rather than taking transportation, it was a piece of cake to get in, I was quite suprised. When we got there we met up with my mom who was also running, I said goodbye to my boyfriend and off we went! It took about 15 minutes to walk to the start line, but it went by quick. My mom and I started in corral B, we watched the first set of fireworks go off and Corral A started, we then had a 5 minute wait before we started, when the fireworks went off we started our 13.1 mile run through magic kingdom and epcot. There were so many characters, a high school band, a ferrari by the speedway to keep us distracted the whole race, I made sure I had my headphones and Ipod with me but never ended up using them because of all of the distractions. I would have to say the most magical part of the race was running through Cinderellas castle and down mainstreet USA with people lined up on both sides, it was unreal! Right before crossing the finish line I saw my boyfriend standing there with a rose waiting for me. I would absolutley reccomend a RunDisney race to anyone! I have since completed 2 more half marathons, both being RunDisney. I got my coast to coast for 2014 with the Tinkerbell and Princess Half marathons this year as well as the Glass Slipper Challenge. All events have been outstanding!

Pros:

Theming, on course entertainment, pre and post race

Cons:

Tinkerbell half marathon being moved to mothers day weekend

Other topics in Special Events at Walt Disney World